PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Connection Drop Off

goodsey
03-05-2007, 17:42
Can any of you chaps throw any light on what is happening in the OL2 area of Oldham?

For about a week I've been experiencing connection drop offs, the SACM reboots itself and the ready led continues flashing and takes ages to become steady.

I've phoned customer support twice now (well spoken chaps in India). Engineer was booked for this afternoon until CS phoned me yesterday and said everything ok now, which indeed it was at the time.

Since then I've experienced multi drop offs most of today and CS now say they are aware of a fault in the area.

I've noticed speed has dropped from my normal 4MB to approx. 2.5MB and I'm assuming this is due to "traffic shaping"!

Also noticed that the second led down on my old Pace STB is now continually flashing and I'm now obviously unable to use the interactive services etc. I'm assuming this is EPG update related.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help and advice.

Mark_2k7
03-05-2007, 18:06
im in belfast exNTL an my modem has reboot itself a few times today with the ready light flashing for 5 or 10 minutes at a time b4 it comes back again i have never had any probs with my broadband up until now hope it has something to do with the 20mb upgrade;)

owdhamlad
03-05-2007, 19:47
Hello mate.I also live in the ol2 area and have been having this same problem for a couple off weeks now.Can you give me the number you rang and i will give it a try.Its doing my head in.

zaax
03-05-2007, 20:24
see another thead and http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

owdhamlad
03-05-2007, 22:00
Ok mines being doing it all night.Just rang Virgin,after loads of checks by them it seems my modem has rebooted 200 times in the last 12 days!
Teq booked for 9th may.

monkey2468
03-05-2007, 22:11
Can any of you chaps throw any light on what is happening in the OL2 area of Oldham?

For about a week I've been experiencing connection drop offs, the SACM reboots itself and the ready led continues flashing and takes ages to become steady.

I've phoned customer support twice now (well spoken chaps in India). Engineer was booked for this afternoon until CS phoned me yesterday and said everything ok now, which indeed it was at the time.

Since then I've experienced multi drop offs most of today and CS now say they are aware of a fault in the area.

I've noticed speed has dropped from my normal 4MB to approx. 2.5MB and I'm assuming this is due to "traffic shaping"!

Also noticed that the second led down on my old Pace STB is now continually flashing and I'm now obviously unable to use the interactive services etc. I'm assuming this is EPG update related.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help and advice.
This sounds like an intermittant returnpath network issue. Specifically the return path amp/module and will probably affect a fair few people locally. These are a bugger to diagnose with the issue being intermittant. (net tech goes out and no issue) The best way to get this fixed is to keep calling, they may then get their fingers out and deal with it!
Leeds also used to be terrible for this issue.

owdhamlad
03-05-2007, 22:56
Iv'e had Ntl for over 5 years now and its the first time i've had a problem with their broadband,lets hope its a simple fix.

goodsey
04-05-2007, 08:43
Keep on their case Owdhamlad and see if they can fix this problem.

If your Teq sorts it on the 9th please post the fix, maybe we can then tell them what's wrong.

owdhamlad
04-05-2007, 23:25
Ok goodsey,will do mate.

owdhamlad
09-05-2007, 18:41
Visited by engineer today.No fault found!
He said see how it goes!

goodsey
10-05-2007, 15:20
Tech just visited after much of same for last few days.

Fitted new Modem type 250.
Fitted signal attenuators to modem connection and splitter.
Turned up power levels in street box which "were low"apparently.
Speed tested at 3.960Mb. (2.5Mb before visit).

So I'm reasonably happy at the moment but we'll wait and see what the next few days bring.
:)