PDA

View Full Version : Why is finding a job so hard?

cimt
02-05-2007, 23:59
OK I'm a college student and I go to college Monday - Thursday. I'm currently trying to find a part time job. Why is finding a job so hard? The job centre and Connexions are useless.

Maggy
03-05-2007, 00:03
OK I'm a college student and I go to college Monday - Thursday. I'm currently trying to find a part time job. Why is finding a job so hard? The job centre and Connexions are useless.

Could be your age I suppose.Working in places like supermarkets and shops where you may have to sell alcohol or tabacco but can't because you aren't 18 yet.Cuts out bar work as well.:erm:

cimt
03-05-2007, 00:08
Yeah it could be to do with age. It's horrible as I'm only on EMA so I only get £30 a week. I might aswell sign up for job seekers allowance which gives me an idea...

Maggy
03-05-2007, 00:12
Yeah it could be to do with age. It's horrible as I'm only on EMA so I only get £30 a week. I might aswell sign up for job seekers allowance which gives me an idea...

Well my son wasn't eligible for EMA so count yourself fortunate that you actually get something...Anyway you can't get JS while attending college.

I'm sure if you persevere you will find a job..even if it is only stacking shelves at Tescos.:tu:

Chris W
03-05-2007, 00:13
is there a shopping mall near you? If so, just print loads of copies of your CV and just go round all the shops you like the look of and check if they have anything available. Nothing to be lost from asking!

Also check out fast food outlets- macdonalds, burger king, kfc, pizza hut. Do you drive? If so delivering is an option- the money isn't bad for what you have to do.

Another option is waitering- local hotels and restaurants may well have some work for you.

Maggy
03-05-2007, 00:18
is there a shopping mall near you? If so, just print loads of copies of your CV and just go round all the shops you like the look of and check if they have anything available. Nothing to be lost from asking!

Also check out fast food outlets- macdonalds, burger king, kfc, pizza hut. Do you drive? If so delivering is an option- the money isn't bad for what you have to do.

Another option is waitering- local hotels and restaurants may well have some work for you.

Again with the last there could be problems with him/her not being 18 and dealing with alcohol. :erm:

Chris W
03-05-2007, 00:23
don't see why- i did waitering when i was 16. I wasn't allowed behind the bar, but i could serve drinks to people's tables. Same as you are allowed to clear tables in a bar (dealing with alcohol) when you are 16.

I think how hard it is to find a job depends purely on how determined you are and how many problems you create for yourself. I have worked since i was 13 (if you count paperrounds and leaflet drops). I never got paid to finish school, and for the last few months i had to work to pay rent as well. If you want a job badly enough you will find you, but sometimes you have to sacrifice things to get there.

Gareth
03-05-2007, 00:27
It's horrible as I'm only on EMA so I only get £30 a week.You get paid £30 a week...? For being a student? :shocked:

Sheesh, I never got paid anything to go to FE college - I did it because I wanted to further myself and to secure a place at university.

AntiSilence
03-05-2007, 00:32
You get paid £30 a week...? For being a student? :shocked:

Sheesh, I never got paid anything to go to FE college - I did it because I wanted to further myself and to secure a place at university.

When I left school (in 1994 when I was 16) I went to a YT training place that was part of a college for two years. I got paid £27.50 a week for the first year and £35 a week for the second year.

I also came out of it with qualifications. But, about half way through I got a work placement at a company that came to us looking for some new staff. I was then at work 4 days a week, and college 1 day a week. Still got paid £35 a week though.

Slyder
06-05-2007, 12:25
Anyway you can't get JS while attending college.

Think that applies if your he does so many hours at college... could be wrong thou.

Hom3r
06-05-2007, 13:19
Again with the last there could be problems with him/her not being 18 and dealing with alcohol. :erm:

If your under 18 in a shop, the person under 18 normally has to alert an member of staff who is over 18, to the fact they are selling alcohol.