PDA

View Full Version : The hotel / b'n'b recomendation thread

handyman
01-05-2007, 22:01
I know there is a wide range of Internet based hotel review sites on the web but I don't trust some of the things they much.

I search the web daily looking for places for our trainers and consultants (and sometimes myself when I'm allowed out) to stay in on business.

So I figured that I'd start this thread so that people can post up their own recommendations of places they have stayed in.

I'll start off with the Following:

The Barnes Hotel - Birmingham
http://www.necgroup.co.uk/hotels/thebarns/

It's just a few minutes from the NEC and is most welcoming. The rooms are immaculate and the breakfast is plenty and good too.

I think it's £60 a night for a double.

Enjoy, I'll look forward to checking out your recommendations particularly those in London and Bristol.

Wicked_and_Crazy
01-05-2007, 22:14
ive always trusted tripadvisor and never been let down in 4+ years

For London i'd recommend the St Gregory in Shoreditch (5 mins walk from Liverpool street station) and Bristol id recommend the City Inn, 2 mins walk from Temple meads station

handyman
01-05-2007, 23:45
The City Inn looks good but the St Gregory looks a bit pricey.

homealone
01-05-2007, 23:56
It has to be an Ibis hotel when in Manchester - the shower is worth the room fee, by itself - and there is room for another :naughty:

Wicked_and_Crazy
02-05-2007, 00:10
The City Inn looks good but the St Gregory looks a bit pricey.

Dont book the St Gregory direct, you can get some good deals on other booking sites for it and they dont charge extra for breakfast. I recently stayed there for £80. Two people including full english

Halcyon
02-05-2007, 00:31
Tripadvisor is excellent since all the reviews are from people that have stayed there and some post their own photos too so you get to see what it really looks like.

Premier Travel Inn - Dover West (Approx £56 per night)

There is one along the Marina but we went to the one on the old Folkstone road. It is also a couple of pounds cheaper too.
Great accomodation. Very good soundproofing so a good nights sleep.
There is a "Beefeater" restaurant on site and contrary to the name, it actually served good full menu dishes and kid's meals too.
Rooms were clean and have ensuite bathrooms.
The girls at reception were very good and went out of their way to help us after arriving after a long journey.

Formule 1 hotels, France (Approx £23 per night)

These hotels are spotted about all over France and if you need a cheap room over night they can easily do for you.
You would not however spend any more than one night there.
They are perfect if you are travelling and need a bedroom mid journey.
They are often located at the edge of town's in France and the rooms are simple with one double bed and one overhead bunk bed.
No ensuite bathroom apart from a sink, but most are quite clean as they are a chain of hotels.
More of a motel than hotel, but cheap and quick when you are travelling.
No luxury, but simple and easy.

bopdude
02-05-2007, 00:52
Depends on the money available to spend, I've been all over the country, stayed in more hotels, b&b's, guest houses etc etc, than I can remember. I've stayed in a b&b in South Manchester £17.50 a night, that was friendlier, more comfortable beds, and a damned site better breakfast than some of the 'better' places I've stayed in.

118247 is always good for finding accommodation of any kind IMHO

handyman
03-05-2007, 00:51
You need to be noting down all these good b&b's you stay in......

RE Prem travel in Dover, did not stay there but ate in the restaurant and found it a bit poor and very dear fr what it was.

Halcyon
03-05-2007, 01:36
Apparently they had just had a changeover and re-design so maybe it has got better.