PDA

View Full Version : Would Virgin let me trial a Broadband Size?

grabbi
01-05-2007, 20:15
Im currently on 2Mb BB (Size M) but the more and more I discover what is available, XBox live, Xbox Media Centre and Streaming content on the web with apps such as TVAnts and SopCast, I want and need more and more of a speed to sit back and relax, and watch, Download and reduce the frustartions of waiting for Downloads or Stop/Starts in Streaming.

I would like to trial something like 4Mb, or even the 10Mb for a Week or a month, as I am considering the VIP pack.

Does anyone know if Virgin would allow something like this, if there is a sniff of upgrading someone to pay more for their services.

All together, I pay about £71 for everything, and for an extra £14, Id get the 10Mb, Talk International and Talk Unlimited, so, from my point of view, it looks like the good option, but I dont want to pay for 10Mb, if Im never going to see 10Mb - thats why I want to try before I buy!

Has anyone any info, or have they even been offered/took up an offer like this?

Druchii
01-05-2007, 20:17
You can change your packages once a month once you are out of the initial 12month contract you were in. So asking for 10Mb now, and then downgrading it in a month is a perfectly feasible thing.

kingdeacon
01-05-2007, 20:23
i would give them a call to see if they can offer you a better deal. i called and they did for me, i got xl broadband on top of my over stuff for less money than i was paying before :)

grabbi
01-05-2007, 20:39
Well, Ive been with them for almost a year and a half now... So I assume now that Im on some sort of "Rolling Month Contract"?

If so, as it says in the contract "you must take our services for at least 12 Months" and I have done that, then I should be able to trial it?!

Ive taken advantage of a few retention deals over the past 12 Months, including HalfPrice Sky Sports and Free Movies (and for a little while, Free Multiroom) but this isnt because I want to leave; I simply want to try something to see if it is for me.

If I didnt see any difference in my household, then Id have to downgrade again. Chances are, though, that an improvement on my size would improve my way of living on Live, and so on.

I may just upgrade to 4 or 5Mb BB as I am still on an STB Modem, and they dont take anything higher.

Roxyfella
01-05-2007, 20:42
They are currently letting me trial a 408Kb broadband speed.

Wackahack
01-05-2007, 20:43
Well aint you lucky lol ;)

grabbi
01-05-2007, 20:46
408kb? Is that an upgrade from what you were getting normally? If so, are they charging you and for what period of time will you be trialling it for?

Druchii
01-05-2007, 20:48
Well, Ive been with them for almost a year and a half now... So I assume now that Im on some sort of "Rolling Month Contract"?

If so, as it says in the contract "you must take our services for at least 12 Months" and I have done that, then I should be able to trial it?!

Ive taken advantage of a few retention deals over the past 12 Months, including HalfPrice Sky Sports and Free Movies (and for a little while, Free Multiroom) but this isnt because I want to leave; I simply want to try something to see if it is for me.

If I didnt see any difference in my household, then Id have to downgrade again. Chances are, though, that an improvement on my size would improve my way of living on Live, and so on.

I may just upgrade to 4 or 5Mb BB as I am still on an STB Modem, and they dont take anything higher.
Go to ten for a month, and ask em for a new modem ;)

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

408kb? Is that an upgrade from what you were getting normally? If so, are they charging you and for what period of time will you be trialling it for?
He's being sarcastic, his speeds aren't right... He's taking the mess out of VM's services basically.

ferretuk
01-05-2007, 20:48
You can change your packages once a month once you are out of the initial 12month contract you were in. So asking for 10Mb now, and then downgrading it in a month is a perfectly feasible thing.

You can change speed at any time, including within the initial 12 months, but you must remain at the new speed for a minimum of 30 days.

I'm six months in and I've just downgraded from 10Mb to 4Mb today without any problems.

Druchii
01-05-2007, 20:49
You can change speed at any time, including within the initial 12 months, but you must remain at the new speed for a minimum of 30 days.

I'm six months in and I've just downgraded from 10Mb to 4Mb today without any problems.
Ahhh, so that is true... Hmmm, must of been because i was on the 3 for 30 offer with an upgraded service (Costing an extra £4 a month for 4Mb)

Rik
01-05-2007, 21:09

Is it shaped at all? :D:D

grabbi
01-05-2007, 21:09
Thats pretty good.

I started off on 3 for £30, and now Im on £71! Jesus!

Hows the 4Mb BB then? Is it decent?

Thing is, I cant be arsed sitting around waiting for them to gimme a new modem for 10Mb.

Might upgrade to 4Mb, so I can keep my STB, then after that, if Im still unsatisfied, then up to 10Mb to see what thats like... but with all these upgrades of speeds (10Mb to 20Mb etc) and all that, I dont know what to do really!

Druchii
01-05-2007, 21:13
Thats pretty good.

I started off on 3 for £30, and now Im on £71! Jesus!

Hows the 4Mb BB then? Is it decent?

Thing is, I cant be arsed sitting around waiting for them to gimme a new modem for 10Mb.

Might upgrade to 4Mb, so I can keep my STB, then after that, if Im still unsatisfied, then up to 10Mb to see what thats like... but with all these upgrades of speeds (10Mb to 20Mb etc) and all that, I dont know what to do really!
The 4Mb in ym area was perfect, always hitting 4Mb no matter what the time of day.

The 10Mb service hits around 6Mb in the evenings, but other times it's usually good for at least 8Mb. And of course, when downloading with a download manager it maxes out any time of the day :)

TheNorm
01-05-2007, 21:14

Is it shaped at all? :D:D

Yes - pear shaped.

grabbi
01-05-2007, 21:27
:nworthy:

grabbi
04-05-2007, 18:41
Well, I answered my question just now, as the guy on the other side of the phone said it isnt possible to "Trial" speeds and tried to get me upto 20Mb BB.

Yet the ads around say "try for 28 days and if you dont like it your money back"...

Thanks very much for being an existing customer... you get naff all!