PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Northern Ireland

Nugget
01-05-2007, 13:59
Here's a stupid question, that we can't seem to agree on in the office.

I'm due to go to a supplier in Northern Ireland at the end of June - what we can't agree on is whether or not you need a passport to fly in / out. The reason it's an issue is because I've always refused to get a new password until they promote me ('cos then they'll want me to go abroad more ;) ).

Anyway, as I've said, we've managed to make no decision either way at work, so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

gazzae
01-05-2007, 14:00
Here's a stupid question, that we can't seem to agree on in the office.

I'm due to go to a supplier in Northern Ireland at the end of June - what we can't agree on is whether or not you need a passport to fly in / out. The reason it's an issue is because I've always refused to get a new password until they promote me ('cos then they'll want me to go abroad more ;) ).

Anyway, as I've said, we've managed to make no decision either way at work, so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

You only need photo ID.

Nugget
01-05-2007, 14:04
You only need photo ID.

Ah, cool - so I can just use my driving licence then :)

Thanks for that matey :tu:

gazzae
01-05-2007, 14:07
Yep driving licence is what I use.

Fingy
01-05-2007, 14:33
Deffo just photo ID.

Hope you are going to issue warnings before you come over! ;)

Nugget
01-05-2007, 14:35
Deffo just photo ID.

Hope you are going to issue warnings before you come over! ;)

Yup, just not to you :PP:

Fingy
01-05-2007, 14:37
If it is the end of June I will not be here! Was just going to put the word out like. :Peace:

Nugget
01-05-2007, 14:53
If it is the end of June I will not be here! Was just going to put the word out like. :Peace:

Oh it's alright - I can always re-schedule :D

Xaccers
01-05-2007, 14:57
When you say "supplier" you really mean leprechaun don't you Nug?

Nugget
01-05-2007, 15:18
When you say "supplier" you really mean leprechaun don't you Nug?

Don't mention the leprechaun!!!!!! He tells me to burn stuff :disturbd:

RUSTY
01-05-2007, 15:21
worked in ireland, you can get in with photo id but a passport is much easier and damn quicker.

Vlad_Dracul
01-05-2007, 16:46
I would advise you to have in your possession a full UK passport. OK so its a domestic flight but some airlines require,as part of their terms and conditions,that you are in possession of a full UK passport and that you present that passport at check in. I have visited Norn'Iron' in the past and the security at Manchester airport is slightly tighter . They have a separate passport control stream and it has extra cameras/checks.

If you insist on risking it with your driving licence then to avoid a possible refusal,check with your airline AND the airport. Also check with Belfast airport at the other end as you dont want to get there and find that you cant fly back !

Dont you ever watch "airline" on the telly? This issue has cropped up more than once i.e no passport=boarding denied.

Nugget
01-05-2007, 16:51
I would advise you to have in your possession a full UK passport. OK so its a domestic flight but some airlines require,as part of their terms and conditions,that you are in possession of a full UK passport and that you present that passport at check in. I have visited Norn'Iron' in the past and the security at Manchester airport is slightly tighter . They have a separate passport control stream and it has extra cameras/checks.

If you insist on risking it with your driving licence then to avoid a possible refusal,check with your airline AND the airport. Also check with Belfast airport at the other end as you dont want to get there and find that you cant fly back !

Dont you ever watch "airline" on the telly? This issue has cropped up more than once i.e no passport=boarding denied.

I never watched that 'cos I have a life ;)

Nah, it'd be checked as part of the visit booking procedure, but I'll be stuffed if I'm forking out for a passport that I'll only use for work...

Orior
01-05-2007, 17:06
Alan Partridge "Der's more to Oireland dan dis"

gazzae
01-05-2007, 17:11

Isn't that usually because they don't have any other ID?

All I can say is I've flown to Manchester, Bristol and Heathrow and back and I've never had any problems using my driving licence.

Xaccers
01-05-2007, 17:15
Remember, if you look anything like your photo, then you're too ill to travel.

Vlad_Dracul
01-05-2007, 17:16
Having checked both Ryaniar and Easyjet on line T & Cs I concede that you will probably be alright with your driving licence photo ID card. I just like to play the safe game all the way....its been one of my failings all my life...sigh

AntiSilence
01-05-2007, 17:18
Why would you need a passport to enter another part of the UK from elsewhere in the UK? Seems very odd to me. What if you go by ferry?

I suppose next we'll need passports to get from town to town.

Fingy
01-05-2007, 20:02
In the last year or so I've been to Bristol, Manchester & Birmingham and have managed to get there and back home with my driving licence.

You will find that all airports have a "VIP" access area for coming here, don't forget not to smile for the picture CID will take of you. ;) Oh, and re-schedule away, anything before mid june or after mid july. :p:

Hom3r
01-05-2007, 20:16
I would take a passport with you as mentioned here.

A few years back I flew from Stansted to Edinburgh, I had my photo security pass for work but this was no good, But my my passport wasn't a problem.

Your lucky you're be flying in a 737 or 757 jet.

Tomorrow I flying to Belguim Im flying from London City in a Fokker 50 (50 seater turbo prop) also nicknamed "Vomit Comets"

Fingy
01-05-2007, 20:27
Oh... if your driving licence is a photo one like ours are, if you want to be really safe, bring the paper part too. Or swim?

Nugget
01-05-2007, 20:39
Oh... if your driving licence is a photo one like ours are, if you want to be really safe, bring the paper part too. Or swim?

Yeah, I'm just going to bring the whole thing - let's face it, worse case is that they don't let me fly :shrug:

TheDaddy
01-05-2007, 23:02
Alan Partridge "Der's more to Oireland dan dis"

Sunday bloody Sunday

Mr Angry
01-05-2007, 23:07
I have alerted the relevant authorities.

homealone
01-05-2007, 23:45
should this be merged with the forum meet thread ? ;)