PDA

View Full Version : Router advice please

davestevens_uk
01-05-2007, 11:57
Hi all,

I've recently moved to a Virgin Media broadband service. I've been with BT corporate for ages, but so far, I have to say that the Virgin service works better.

Anyway - the issue.

Up till now I've used a standard modem/router with RJ11 presentation to the phone line, and this has allowed me to configure things like port mapping etc. As an example, I can access my music server or look at a network camera from work. The Virgin modem has a coax presentation though......

I've managed to find (and dust down!) an old netgear wireless router I had, so I've got the basic house network up via the ethernet port on the Virgin modem. I've tried configuring some ports on my router, but it's clear that nothing is being passed through the Virgin box. I guess it's running a firewall.

So - does anyone have any clues as to whether you can configure the Virgin modem in any way, or a recommendation for a coax presentation wireless router.

Thanks,
David.

Muppetz
01-05-2007, 12:04
You cannot use any device other than the VM supplied modem to connect to the coax presented into your house (assuming you have cable, adsl is different but the would not have been presented on coax...)

I have previsoulsy used a Netgear router with my NTL/VM cable, but found it unreliable. I now use a linksys - WRT54GL - which I find works very well (I use a custom firmware on it which allows some additional settings, but it works ok in default too.)

The key thing is to connect and power up in the right order. Power the modem up first, then after a few minutes power up the router, then after a couple of minutes the PC's.

gkhewitt
01-05-2007, 12:22
All ports will be passed onto the router by the VM cable modem. If you can't get port forwarding to work, then the problem is with the router. Try updating the firmware via Netgear's website and make sure you 'Save Settings' or 'Apply' before testing - I remember this being a quirk with some Netgear kit.

The best way to think of the VM setup as compared to your ADSL implementation is as follows. With ADSL your router had an inbuilt modem which then passed the data onto the routing system. With VM, the modem is now external and the principle is still the same.

Regards

davestevens_uk
01-05-2007, 12:43
All ports will be passed onto the router by the VM cable modem. If you can't get port forwarding to work, then the problem is with the router. Try updating the firmware via Netgear's website and make sure you 'Save Settings' or 'Apply' before testing - I remember this being a quirk with some Netgear kit.

The best way to think of the VM setup as compared to your ADSL implementation is as follows. With ADSL your router had an inbuilt modem which then passed the data onto the routing system. With VM, the modem is now external and the principle is still the same.

Regards

Ah, OK, thanks very much.
I'll try the firmware suggestion, as right now nothing is getting through at all.
Thanks,
David.