PDA

View Full Version : Phone/BB/TV installation today - two quick questions

flagpole99
01-05-2007, 09:57
Currently waiting on installation of Phone (porting from BT), Broadband and upgrade of analogue to digital TV, so have a couple of questions as I wait.

1) My PC is upstairs and can't easily cable up to it from where the cable connection box will sit for various reasons. Will I be able to set up Broadband if I connect a wireless router to the cable modem and install a wireless adapter on my PC? Or will I have to carry my PC downstairs boot it up and set up broadband via an ethernet cable between the modem and PC, and then install the wireless network later?

2) And what info do the engineers need to leave in terms of pin and serial numbers to ensure everything works?

Thanks in advance for your help.

flagpole99

Paul K
01-05-2007, 10:10
It would be easier to set up with a cable but you should be able to do it wirelessly.
Both numbers are needed so that you can register etc. Make sure they leave both numbers if you haven't received your welcome pack yet.

Visitor
03-05-2007, 00:28
If its a new wireless router, and you have never used one before, and you dont have another PC to network too :) it may give you problems, which could complicate the modem setup.

I use a netgear wireless router, and it also has normal rJ45 sockets so can give a direct connection bypassing the WIFI and at times its helpful :)

However most things just work without problems, so you could setup with the WIFI .

In the old days :) the modem did nothing until you phoned in the MAC address, but I think these days they work on a reduced speed ?

flagpole99
04-05-2007, 18:10
ok an update.

All three installed Tuesday. TV works superbly. Temporary Virgin Phone number for two days then original number ported over from BT on Thursday. Broadband modem worked straight away - tried to set up router wirelessly but wasn't sure what I was doing - think I nearly did it at one stage before wrecking it all .... and couldn't install virgin broadband software without ethernetting between the PC and the modem which required me to install a network card in my PC (cheapo effort from Maplins).

On pin numbers etc the three things you need the engineer to leave are:

TV pin (4 digits)
Broadband pin (8 digits)
Broadband serial number ONLY if you are running Vista (NTL-CT8-CB485 in my case)

The Broadband pin is also sent in a separate letter which arrived two days after installation but the engineer had already rung up and got the number on the day to allow me to install straight away.

So all in all very smooth and hassle free. Thanks for the help.

colin-bennett
04-05-2007, 20:20
ok an update.

All three installed Tuesday. TV works superbly. Temporary Virgin Phone number for two days then original number ported over from BT on Thursday. Broadband modem worked straight away - tried to set up router wirelessly but wasn't sure what I was doing - think I nearly did it at one stage before wrecking it all .... and couldn't install virgin broadband software without ethernetting between the PC and the modem which required me to install a network card in my PC (cheapo effort from Maplins).

On pin numbers etc the three things you need the engineer to leave are:

TV pin (4 digits)
Broadband pin (8 digits)
Broadband serial number ONLY if you are running Vista (NTL-CT8-CB485 in my case)

The Broadband pin is also sent in a separate letter which arrived two days after installation but the engineer had already rung up and got the number on the day to allow me to install straight away.

So all in all very smooth and hassle free. Thanks for the help.

Glad all is ok.