PDA

View Full Version : Sync and ready on, no data though.

Dean
30-04-2007, 21:00
Hiya, I never lose my sync light or the ready light, but during busy times, say 5 to 9 pm, my upload and download speeds drop to zero for maybe 20 seconds at a time.

Can anybody shed some light on these random losses?

Direct connection, happens on my laptop with no firewall installed as well.

crowlord
01-05-2007, 11:30
What modem are you using?

I had a similar problem that rebooting the modem rectified. (NTL:120) Faulted to CS and after 4 calls in one day they replaced with a 250 that has been fine for the few days I've run it so far.

Muppetz
01-05-2007, 11:38
sounds very similar to my problem (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33613337-packet-loss-problem.html)

Ive pinned my problem down to an issue with NTL's routers I think, just waiting for some of the techy guys on here to confirm that ;)

You're not in HG3 or near Leeds are you by any chance ?

Dean
01-05-2007, 18:06
I have the ntl 250, my second one, the first one was rebooting all the time.
My seventh guy just left. He's the only one who's actually done something pro active. He changed both F connectors on the main drop to my house, plugged me into a different "tap", and changed all my splitters. My downstream is now +3 as opposed to -1, and my upstream has gone from 60 down to 40ish.

Just like every other guys who's come round to fix it, he was pretty confused by the "sync light on, but no data going to modem" thing. But at least this one actually seemed to give a ****.

I can but pray. (oh, and I'm in SA2 Swansea by the way.)

Dean
06-05-2007, 06:40
A happy ending. It's fixed now. My l8nc.com graphs don't have 10+ ugly fat red spikes all over the evening times. 6 months to get it fixed is a bit lame though.

So, just to recap, things can be borked with your connection, even if the sync light is steady. No idea if it was being caused by the corroded f connector coming into my main box outside the house, or the different "thingy" it was plugged into in the green box down the road.

mmm
06-05-2007, 11:41
Upstream and downstream work in different frequency bands - which is how "Forward pass attenuators" work, and how corrosion can affect one rather than the other. +60 on the upstream means modem is "shouting to be heard", but is still within range so can work fine - just susceptible to transmission errors/ retries. +40 means the signal path has been cleaned up and you have got plenty of headroom to cope with weather/ temperature variation. It is always easier to check the downstream level by handheld meter, the return path info is only obtained by interrogating the modem - or ntl end.

Vlad_Dracul
08-05-2007, 19:43
This is normal service for VM these days, i have the same issue