PDA

View Full Version : Mondeo Advice

Hom3r
30-04-2007, 18:47
I looking at getting a Mondeo, there are 3 options to choose from, which is the better version. (all 2.0 TDCI Diesel)

(55) GHIA X 130 PS, 26,000 £11,499
(06) Titanium 115 PS, 12,400 £11,399
(06) Titanium 130 PS, 15,000 £11,499

Cobbydaler
30-04-2007, 18:51
I suppose it depends what you want from a car?

Luxury, performance, pulling power...

(The opposite sex or Caravans, take your pick...)

P.S. I know which I prefer :D

SMHarman
30-04-2007, 19:26
Well of the 06 you get the more powerful for 100 more. But do you want the Titanium or the Ghia. Either way the milage is nothing to be concerned about.

Hom3r
30-04-2007, 20:29
Is there titanium a higher spec than a Ghia?

marky
30-04-2007, 20:34
Dont the Mondeos have a turbo problem :shrug:

Hom3r
30-04-2007, 20:35
Not that I know of, but thy are still under warrenty

superbiatch
30-04-2007, 20:37

Think thats Laguna's (i'm a member of a renault forum ;)) - big problems with diesels.

marky
30-04-2007, 20:46
Ok, the middle one.
Its less bhp so less stress on the crank and its the lowest mileage :)

keithwalton
30-04-2007, 20:50
I think titanium x, and ghia x are a similar level of trim, the former is more of a sporty kinda theme so brushed aluminium big wheels etc part leather seats etc, whilst the ghia is more into luxuary so walnut dash, full leather seats etc.

having been in a titanium x tdci recently its a surprisingly nice car for a mondeo!

Dont know what the difference is off hand between titanium and titanium x.

And yes its a renault problem with the exhaust gas recurculation valve jamming open and the engine running away as its burns engine oil. Quite a rare problem tho.

Edit - I really wouldnt worry about a year old engine with 15k miles on the clock especially not on a diesel its probably only just had its first service and will run on for another 100k miles. My citroen is coming up 12 years old now has done 112.5k miles and its running as smoothly as ever

Uncle Peter
30-04-2007, 21:29
I had a Titanium (130PS) hire car the other week and found it a tad sluggish on the take-up so I wouldn't have fancied the lower powered model myself. Suppose the best choice depends on your driving style and what sort of driving you're going to be doing I guess.

Wicked_and_Crazy
30-04-2007, 21:38
Have you looked at the Mazda 6 Diesels? Very similar car in that theyre based on the same chasis i believe. Mazda 6 diesel (2006 onwards) is a much better engine

Hom3r
30-04-2007, 21:41
I'm a Ford man, I pass a couple of garages on the way to work.

Whenever I think of Mazda's I aways think of "men behaving badly" Mazda (and the hand signal)

keithwalton
30-04-2007, 22:04
The mazda 6 is indeed based off the mondeo, the engine your on about is the slightly uprated version going into the new mondeo.

I did drive a 130bhp diesel renault megane the other week and was dissapointed with it compared to my 90bhp xantia! as renault had just got the gear ratios wrong, the gap between the gears was to long (esp 1st to 2nd) so when pushing it even when i made the gear change late it came into 2nd to low down into the revs and the thing hesitated for a few seconds before going again.

130 and even 140 bhp from a 2 litre diesel is poor by modern standards, most others (bmw, renault, audi etc) get 165-175 bhp out of there engines these days.

Having looked up the trim levels, ghia and titanium cost the same and are just aimed at different markets, adding an X adds £1000 to the list price

DaggaDagga
30-04-2007, 22:19
Save some more pennies and get the new model instead.

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/1604/

Lovely dovely. I want one (never thought I'd say that about a Mundaneo)

Remember that the value of the current one will drop through the floor as soon as this beauty hits the showrooms.

SMHarman
30-04-2007, 22:21
I'm a Ford man, I pass a couple of garages on the way to work.

Whenever I think of Mazda's I aways think of "men behaving badly" Mazda (and the hand signal)and a Mazda is a Ford in Mazdas Clothing, bit like a Volvo.

m8internet
01-05-2007, 13:47
The 115bhp Titanium is a pretty basic model
5 gears

The 130bhp Ghia X is top of the range

I had a 130bhp Ghia, but as a high mileage driver it started to suffer from 60K miles onwards
Even with a third party warranty, the car was bought off me by Ford at 120K miles, as the engine failed just days before its first MoT

Xaccers
01-05-2007, 13:49
Are these engines related/identical to the Ford-sabotaged-PSA HDI lumps with their self destructing flywheels?

RUSTY
02-05-2007, 13:48
have a mondeo 130tdci ghia x estate 53 plate, problem with paint on alloys which ford put right with a phone call, loads of power but you do need to drive it an a different manner to the petrol cars. check the bhp/torque compared to the V6 for more details. service wise use a good independent ford garage, I use archers of ashby in leicestershire for anyone local, faultless and better prices.

Nidge
02-05-2007, 19:42

And a fuel pump problem, they cost £1,500 for a new one. I used to have a Mondeo TDCI when I was on the Taxis, never again they are the worse cars Ford ever built, I drove it out of the garage with 20 miles on the clock, I took it back with 2,000 miles on the clock diesel pump had gone, how the hell can a diesel pump go on a £14,000 motor with 2,000 miles on the clock, Ford were about as much use as a glass hammer, I kept the car for 8 months then got rid of it for a Skoda, all the lads who had the TDCI version of the Mondeo all had problem with the diesel pumps and other various problems.

Steer clear of Fords, if you want a decent motor either Skoda or Vauxhall mate they are far in front of Ford, Ford are left standing in the car market now, they got to complacent a few years ago thinking we are Ford people will always buy our cars, along came Skoda and Vauxhall with better models and a more reliable motor with a good warranty, that signed the death certificate for Ford.

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

Are these engines related/identical to the Ford-sabotaged-PSA HDI lumps with their self destructing flywheels?

Ah forgot about the flywheel, on the TDCI model they tend to sheer off, Ford aren't owning up to the problem which is typical.

keithwalton
02-05-2007, 20:27

Yes Ford and PSA are still in partnership over there diesel engines which is why they mostly suck. The only good one is the 2.7 twin turbo v6 (it has a really nice deep note to it) its new bigger brother the 3.6 v8 is even nicer.

Its actually rather amusing that psa are developing small petrol engines with bmw these days when its widely known that bmw are ahead in terms of diesel technology.

Back in the days of the PSA XUD engine, PSA were the leaders in diesel engines and now well they're last even vauxhall have at last pulled there finger out and made some common rail diesels

SMHarman
02-05-2007, 21:16
Yes Ford and PSA are still in partnership over there diesel engines which is why they mostly suck. The only good one is the 2.7 twin turbo v6 (it has a really nice deep note to it) its new bigger brother the 3.6 v8 is even nicer.

Its actually rather amusing that psa are developing small petrol engines with bmw these days when its widely known that bmw are ahead in terms of diesel technology.

Back in the days of the PSA XUD engine, PSA were the leaders in diesel engines and now well they're last even vauxhall have at last pulled there finger out and made some common rail dieselsPSA is Peugeot / Citroeen etc thought, not Renault. So Renault have flaky diesels and so do Ford?

keithwalton
02-05-2007, 22:47
PSA is Peugeot / Citroeen etc thought, not Renault. So Renault have flaky diesels and so do Ford?
Where did i mention Renault in that post ?

The pug / cit HDI engine is the same as the ford TDCi as they were developed together

Xaccers
03-05-2007, 10:49
Basically going from indirect injection to direct injection damaged the reputation of diesels from many manufacturers.
The larger HDI's (2.2l) from PSA/Ford do appauling fuel economy from what I've heard, looking at less than 40 on the motorway. Ok the C5 is a bigger car, but it's not that much bigger!
The 90bhp HDI is unbelievably gutless, my 10 year old 1.9TD Xantia estate leaves my mum's 4 year old 2.0L 90bhp HDI Xsara hatchback standing, and my car's heavier, and has the hydrolic pump to run!
When you take the company that built one of the best diesel engines (which can cope with a cam belt snapping, and with the engine being filled with water) and mix in Ford you then get some of the worst direct injection engines.

I had a Renault Laguna 2 with the 90bhp DCI which flew, had loads of power in 6th, but it's turbo blew at just over 60K (mostly motorway driving) and it was never the same again. Renault changed it, so don't know if it was the known turbo problem or if it was due to my lax adherance to the servicing schedule. It also had an ECU written by MicroSoft I think as it often needed rebooting (the car, not the ECU, had to pull over, turn off and turn it back on, then get a puncture and spend £150 on a new tyre. I hate dirty hardshoulders).
At 76K (2 years) I px'd it for a Megane 1.9DCI 120bhp. Now that was fast!
Didn't have any trouble with it.
GF loved it, but I actually preferred my 1.9 Xantia, and now my 2.1

SMHarman
03-05-2007, 18:06
Where did i mention Renault in that post ?

The pug / cit HDI engine is the same as the ford TDCi as they were developed together
You didn't superbiatch did, seems this could be renamed the flakey diesel engine thread.
Think thats Laguna's (i'm a member of a renault forum ;)) - big problems with diesels.