PDA

View Full Version : before i waste my money,please advise me if i need too

mark1979
30-04-2007, 16:20
hi and thanks for looking at my plee for help

i myself have a 10meg VM connection at the moment and i need some advise with the up and coming speed increase to 20meg

1,i have a scientific EPC2100 webstar modem,will this accept a 20meg connection?

2,if not above can you tell me a model number of a modem that i can buy that will accept the speed please

3,i also have a belkin router(not wireless)model number F5D5231-4 which my ps3 and laptop are connected through.i hear some routers steal speed and i wandered if this was 1 of them.and yet again what router would be ideal for the forthcoming increased speed?

so basicly im after a new modem and a new router that will be sufficient for the 20meg speeds.i may aswell buy now as the equipment is getting old and needed advise before i go and buy the wrong things

many thanks fro your time

mark

Druchii
30-04-2007, 16:23
The Modem HAS to come form Virgin Media, and as long as you can follow instructions you could get a self-install kit from them, which is free. However if you want a technician out to come fit it for you the charge is £25.

As for routers... Best to just see if yours works happily at 20Mb first, you never know, it might do. If not i can heartily recommend the WRT54GL model. (Note the L, as this is the best model out there). You could check if it steals speed by directly connecting to the modem with a pc run a speedtest or two, then power everything down, reconnect the router and power everything up, then do another few speedtests. Compare the speed and see if it's affecting bandwidth.

Hope this helps :)

Chris W
30-04-2007, 16:26
please do not post duplicate threads- you have already asked the same questions in another thread.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33613288-my-vm-modem-worries.html

closed.