PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch?

Lloyd9331
30-04-2007, 13:28
I have had many years uncomplicted ISP service from Virgin.net, first via dial-up and then via broadband, both through a BT line; I have also had many years (fairly) uncomplicated TV and Telephone service via ntl cable. I could now get broadband through the cable without having to change my email address, and I know it would be cheaper. I am wary, however, of the reports about the reliability of ntl/Virgin broadband and the customer service that goes with it. Should I switch? I know that I can't expect a yes or no answer to this question, but would welcome the forum's thoughts.

For your info, I live in Brighton, originally signed up with C&W, use a Mac (I mention this as the virgin tech support for macs has been good) and get my broadband through a speedtouch USB modem.

Thanks

awibble
30-04-2007, 13:36
My sugestion would be to get cable for a month and see what its like, it will cost you a little extra, but at least you will know before you switch. Maybe you could also talk to CS and they may give you a discount to try it.

Sirpingalot
30-04-2007, 15:01
In my experience, cable will always be superior to ADSL. Though, it would depend on what you wanted to use the service for.

If you are just a casual user who generally just browses the net and does not run high bandwidth applications, then by all means, go for the cheaper option - ADSL.

But if you do require high bandwidth, perhaps for large downloads that would not implement major performance impeding caps (10mbit/s service caps to 5mbit after a while of downloading constantly but resumes normal operation the following day) then cable is definately the best option. Or perhaps say, you wished to use the connection for gaming, then again, you'd want cable; due to the lower latency.

Lloyd9331
30-04-2007, 15:15
My sugestion would be to get cable for a month and see what its like, it will cost you a little extra, but at least you will know before you switch. Maybe you could also talk to CS and they may give you a discount to try it.

Thanks. I'll have a word with CS, but the website says you have to sign up for a year!

---------- Post added at 15:15 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

In my experience, cable will always be superior to ADSL. Though, it would depend on what you wanted to use the service for.

If you are just a casual user who generally just browses the net and does not run high bandwidth applications, then by all means, go for the cheaper option - ADSL.

But if you do require high bandwidth, perhaps for large downloads that would not implement major performance impeding caps (10mbit/s service caps to 5mbit after a while of downloading constantly but resumes normal operation the following day) then cable is definately the best option. Or perhaps say, you wished to use the connection for gaming, then again, you'd want cable; due to the lower latency.

I don't require high bandwidth, but combining my current TV/Phone, broadband and BT charges is cheaper with the £30 package. It's the reliability/customer service aspect that I'm concerned about.

V3n0m
30-04-2007, 16:04
Customer service in my opinion has improved,you can actually speak to someone about your fault now within 1 minute...
But at the moment i would advise against it,reliability is not great,last month has been the worst,disconnects,huge lag,poor pings,dreadful for gaming and speedtest results show under 1 mb although i'm on 10mb,had several engineers out to look into this,engineer said it was a network problem and will be looked into over the next couple of days,1 week later still no change.

Stu038
30-04-2007, 18:12
Lloyd9331 You'll need to sack the usb connection, all new modems only come with ethernet connectivity so make sure you've got a working ethernet port.

Besides usb won't handle 20M very well ;)

Sirpingalot
30-04-2007, 18:20
Yeah, I think USB 1 can handle up-to 12mbit/s and USB 2 upto 480mbit/s

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Thanks. I'll have a word with CS, but the website says you have to sign up for a year!

Not strictly speaking. There's a 30 day "Love us or leave us" thing going on, so if you don't like the service, then you can leave. I have to say, I've only been connected a few weeks to the 10mbit/s service and I've had very few problems, if any.

Druchii
01-05-2007, 04:18
Yeah, I think USB 1 can handle up-to 12mbit/s and USB 2 upto 480mbit/s

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Not strictly speaking. There's a 30 day "Love us or leave us" thing going on, so if you don't like the service, then you can leave. I have to say, I've only been connected a few weeks to the 10mbit/s service and I've had very few problems, if any.
Worth noting that the USB speed will only ever spike to those speeds in absolutely perfect conditions, and as such is no good for 20Mb connections, or even 10Mb connections for that matter.