PDA

View Full Version : Self Install modem - exsisting user

mcmanic
30-04-2007, 10:19
Hi, i got a new black modem comming tomorrow from VM for self install replacing my NTLhome 120 ready for 20meg BB, i just want to check if this is the right procedure.

Unplug old NTLHOME 120, and setup new Black one, i have a linksys router but will setup direct to modem via ethernet for setup purpose 1st.

Then i'm not sure on these next two links to register (if needed?),

Do i go to https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ (virgin media link) and click on register? or reinstall?, i presume its register as its a new modem and have to register the mac address/code

or do i use this link https://autoreg.autoregister.net/start.html (old NTL link)

or do i need to do anything as the system will pick it up

thanks

Spitfire12
30-04-2007, 10:31
Both Link to The Same Page...

devil
30-04-2007, 10:41
you may or may not have to register again as it is the registration of the Cable Modem. Whenever u connect unregistered Cable Modem with computer u may get valid IP but u will be able to visit on registration website. But when Cable Modem is replaced same is done on Virgin Media server as well, not sure about the 20 Mbps service .

mcmanic
30-04-2007, 12:31
will i need my PID and Password that i used about 5years ago when i got the 1st modem, lol?, if i re-reg

Diadem
30-04-2007, 12:36
the modem will be registered on to your account already. You should not need to use that web site. you will have to call quick start to get the service swapped to the new modem tho.

devil
30-04-2007, 14:09
will i need my PID and Password that i used about 5years ago when i got the 1st modem, lol?, if i re-reg

No as u already had a CM so u don't need to do that call any deptt. they will swap the MAC address of the new modem over old CM. No need for PID or PIN.

as for 20 meg service is concerned there is seperate deptt. which are taking care of the 20 meg trouble shooting... lets see.

mcmanic
30-04-2007, 16:48
i think thats the problem i'm gonna have though, i didn't ring VM for the modem, my friend who works for them in Luton head office got it for me after speaking to the head installer guy who said that i would need this black modem (my friend did ask for my VM account number and address), so my account as far as mac address is still with the old NTL120 Home, thats why i'm asking about the re-registering bit, is that the bit when i re-register where you mean,

"they will swap the MAC address of the new modem over old CM"

do i just goto https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi/cablereg
and click on re-install (not register) as i'm a exsisting user and already have a username and password

JSDC
30-04-2007, 17:24
Hi, i got a new black modem comming tomorrow from VM for self install replacing my NTLhome 120 ready for 20meg BB, i just want to check if this is the right procedure.

I find this quite interesting.

I spoke to customer services today who confirmed that the NTL 120 would work at 20Mb.

I did not believe them so was transferred to technical (Swansea) who confirmed it would support 20Mb.

I did not believe them so they went off to check (or perhaps they just put me on hold and read the paper for a few minutes - I have worked in call centres!) and came back to confirm it would support 20Mb but they would send me a new one if I wanted but it would cost £25 and I would need to speak to customer services if I wanted one.

I moaned a little but did not push it as everyone had been rather pleasant and helpful and I was jumping the gun a little.

I shall await the official list and at that point prepare my complaint.

devil
30-04-2007, 17:25
If this is the case yes you will have to register you will get a new pin number and new package will be created so that there can be completely new registeratin.... Possibly u will get a pin with the installation of Cable Modem, if not call customer services or sales.

mcmanic
30-04-2007, 17:47
well all i'm getting is the modem, nothing else, not even the power supply as it uses the same as the NTL120 Home, no PID number or anything although i do know my old one and password, can i not use that one?

how would self install work for those that went direct through customer services for modem upgardes?, surely its the same, just send you a new one, i don't really want to signup as a new user again?, been with them nearly 10years now, lol (since cable & wireless)

Stu038
30-04-2007, 19:03
Phone up tech support, tell them its a replacement modem. They'll ask the relevant security questions to prove who you are, once they're happy they'll ask for the MAC address of the new modem, possibly the old one too so they can confirm they're changing the correct one, they'll change it over on your account, you reboot it, jobs a good un.

Took me less than 10 mins from start to finish last Friday and tbh the only reason it took that long was because I couldn't remember my security word from years ago when it was first set up :dunce:

Diadem
30-04-2007, 21:44
for self installs you will get the number for the quickstart dep who will add me modem and move the service. i dont have the number to hand but can get later this week.

colin-bennett
30-04-2007, 21:44
the modem will be registered on to your account already. You should not need to use that web site. you will have to call quick start to get the service swapped to the new modem tho.
Quick start is not for customers who already have the service you are self installing to...
If you try to quick start this the quick start will fail.

mcmanic
01-05-2007, 14:36
well that was easy enough, got it this morning, hook it up, phoned 0845 454 1111, got put through instantly (impressed), told the guy, he swapped the mac address over and 5 mins later back on the internet

no 20meg though, lol

devil
01-05-2007, 18:25
well that was easy enough, got it this morning, hook it up, phoned 0845 454 1111, got put through instantly (impressed), told the guy, he swapped the mac address over and 5 mins later back on the internet

no 20meg though, lol

till 1st may there were only trial packages.
from today onwards there will be official upgrades to 20 meg area by area..:dunce: