PDA

View Full Version : my VM modem worries

mark1979
30-04-2007, 05:47
1st of all,hello,this is my 1st post :)

ive spoken to virgin many times now and they cannot say anything regarding the change from 10meg-20meg. but seeing as i live way down in devon im thinking i would be last as it normaly happens like that down this way.

the extra £2 to me dont realy bother me but i dont fancy the extra modem cost if i need too,why i mention that i have the webstar epc2100 series modem,would that be capable of the 20meg if we ever get it? if not what modem do you suggest, as i would rather buy a compatible 20meg speed modem now and not have to fork out to vm,with possibly a lengthy wait!!

if someone could tell me where i could get a cable modem from that would be compatible for 20mb speed that would be great,thats means i would be ready and set up,IF that speed reaches me,hehehe

many thanks

Paul K
30-04-2007, 06:08
You have to use a modem supplied by VM and if you require an upgrade they will sort it out for you without cost as far as I know as you pay for the modem in your monthly charges.

JohnHorb
30-04-2007, 07:20
Actually, they SAY £25 if you need a modem upgrade. However, I think, if you request a self-install, they waive the charge. If not, retentions might be the answer.

Nedkelly
30-04-2007, 07:23
All new customers will get a VM 255 which is ethernet only .Thats what they fit now to new customers :tu:

Sirpingalot
30-04-2007, 07:25
Yep, that's what I got when I got connected a few weeks back :)

Druchii
30-04-2007, 16:28
The Modem HAS to come form Virgin Media, and as long as you can follow instructions you could get a self-install kit from them, which is free. However if you want a technician out to come fit it for you the charge is £25.

As for routers... Best to just see if yours works happily at 20Mb first, you never know, it might do. If not i can heartily recommend the WRT54GL model. (Note the L, as this is the best model out there). You could check if it steals speed by directly connecting to the modem with a pc run a speedtest or two, then power everything down, reconnect the router and power everything up, then do another few speedtests. Compare the speed and see if it's affecting bandwidth.

Hope this helps :)http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../images/smilies/smile.gif

--As posted in your other thread.

mark1979
30-04-2007, 16:38
thanks for the quick replys and sorry i made another thread asking almost the same questions

as for the modem could i ring and get a new one from them now? oviously paying the money for it?

also regarding the router is that linksys a wireless or wired router?as i dont realy need wireless tbh

why also do i HAVE to have a vm modem,can you explain? are they coded or something?

Druchii
30-04-2007, 16:44
thanks for the quick replys and sorry i made another thread asking almost the same questions

as for the modem could i ring and get a new one from them now? oviously paying the money for it?

also regarding the router is that linksys a wireless or wired router?as i dont realy need wireless tbh

why also do i HAVE to have a vm modem,can you explain? are they coded or something?
The VM modems are provisioned to their network, in other words, only modems they hand out will work as they are allowed on their network. This is done by MAC address and serial number i think.
You can get a new one right now from them.

The Linksys is Wireless, but that can be disabled. For Wired routers i've no idea which are best.

mark1979
30-04-2007, 16:49
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-052-LS

is this the router you mean?is it also a good price?

as for the modem,do you think i could phone vm and buy 1 now as like i said my existing webstar has seen better days

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

All new customers will get a VM 255 which is ethernet only .Thats what they fit now to new customers :tu:

i presume that modem will accept the 20meg speeds then?

Druchii
30-04-2007, 16:52
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-052-LS

is this the router you mean?is it also a good price?

as for the modem,do you think i could phone vm and buy 1 now as like i said my existing webstar has seen better days

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

i presume that modem will accept the 20meg speeds then?
That is the router, and holy christ that is an exceptional price for it!

You can phone now and get one form VM.

The VM 255 will do speeds of upto around 40mbps. And easily supports 20mbs. Which is why it's being used in new installs.

mark1979
30-04-2007, 17:03
That is the router, and holy christ that is an exceptional price for it!

You can phone now and get one form VM.

The VM 255 will do speeds of upto around 40mbps. And easily supports 20mbs. Which is why it's being used in new installs.

many thanks for that help,you are a star

im on the phone to vm now for the moem and i will order that router right away

SnoopZ
30-04-2007, 17:13
many thanks for that help,you are a star

im on the phone to vm now for the moem and i will order that router right away

I'd just like to point out you can't BUY the modem from VM but they will charge you £25 for installing it for you, unless you can do it yourself.

mark1979
30-04-2007, 17:23
i think vm customer service sucks

passed around for 25mins just to try and get a new modem as mine is covered in a cup of tea(yep my faults,DOH!!)

anyone got a number for sales for virgin,remembering i was with telewest before virgin took over

mark1979
01-05-2007, 12:14
right this has stumped me

i booted a cup of tea over my modem and vm came out and gimme a new unit

i asked the guy if this modem definatly supported the 20meg speed increase when it finaly gets here,he said yes all new modems will support 20meg

the new unit is a scientific atlanta epc2100r2,and the modem i had previously was only missing the "r2"part in that same model number

can someone confirm that this modem will be compatible as i dont realy want to fork out again for another modem if it doesnt

many thanks