PDA

View Full Version : At what age is it unacceptable to still be living with your parents?

Action Jackson
27-04-2007, 18:43
I have a mate who is 33 and still lives with his mother.

Now, I realise that some people have to remain living with their parent(s) for very real reasons like if a parent(s) is disabled and has to be looked after, or maybe the parent(s) isn't working and can't survive on their own etc. Or maybe you don't work and can't afford to move out.

But in the case of my mate, he is perfectly capable of moving out but just likes the easy life too much and doesn't want to have to fend for himself. He does concede that it hinders his chances with women(women find it suspicious if a guy in his thirties still lives with his mother and don't like having to tip-toe past her bedroom after a night out) but he reckons that the pros outweigh the cons.

So, my question is; if you are perfectly capable of going it alone then at what age should you really have flown the nest by?

I moved out when I was 19, but would say 25 is the upper limit. After that then you are taking the mickey I reckon.

TheDaddy
27-04-2007, 18:49
I have a mate who is 33 and still lives with his mother.

I moved out when I was 19, but would say 25 is the upper limit. After that then you are taking the mickey I reckon.

I moved out at 16 and have regretted it ever since, I made life a lot harder for myself than I need have, still everyone is different I suppose, move out when you want, I'll not knock them for it what ever their age

Action Jackson
27-04-2007, 18:54
I moved out at 16 and have regretted it ever since, I made life a lot harder for myself than I need have and would recommend not moving out until you have met the 'right' partner, still everyone is different I suppose, move out when you want, I'll not knock them for it what ever their age

I remember growing up actually, my neighbours son lived at home and he was 45 and earning a fortune(he was an accountant from what I recall). That was just bizarre and even his folks wanted rid of him, but he wouldn't go(he was a bit of a strange sort from what I remember).

I see what you are saying, but surely when you reach a certain age then you should really be seriously thinking of moving out. It can't be healthy to want to be dependant on your folks all the time.

TheDaddy
27-04-2007, 18:59
I remember growing up actually, my neighbours son lived at home and he was 45 and earning a fortune(he was an accountant from what I recall). That was just bizarre and even his folks wanted rid of him, but he wouldn't go(he was a bit of a strange sort from what I remember).

I see what you are saying, but surely when you reach a certain age then you should really be seriously thinking of moving out. It can't be healthy to want to be dependant on your folks all the time.

If you have out stayed your welcome that's different, however there is a reverse side to this coin in the US at the moment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15607602/

Action Jackson
27-04-2007, 19:04
If you have out stayed your welcome that's different, however there is a reverse side to this coin in the US at the moment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15607602/

Scary stuff.

Parents also need to know when to step back and give their kids their independence.

Hom3r
27-04-2007, 19:12
I still live at home, I get on with my parents and do have my indepentance.

I cannot afford a house where I live for a two bedroom house you are looking at £220,000 and I just cannot afford those prices, plus both my parents have retired and they can barely live on the small pensions that they get.

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

Plus I am a people person an like company around me.

bonzoe
27-04-2007, 19:25
Speaking as a parent, 18 sounds good to me ;) , but don't tell my daughter :D

Zee
27-04-2007, 19:27
Im moving out in September, i'm 18, going to uni for 4 years! yay

TheDaddy
27-04-2007, 19:30
Speaking as a parent, 18 sounds good to me ;) , but don't tell my daughter :D

Wouldn't want to deprive you of the pleasure would we, hope you drum it into her regularly, 'your 18, your out the door' ;) :D

papa smurf
27-04-2007, 19:34
in some cultures its common for entire families to share the same dwelling ,perhaps we westerners dont have the same family values[just a thought]

Anonymouse
27-04-2007, 20:32
Define 'unacceptable'. It's no-one else's damn business! Just 'cause society says you should move out ASAP doesn't make it so.

Having said that, it depends on circumstances. The way the housing market's going these days, it may soon become impossible for some 18-25s to move out even if they want to. I hung on until my mid-30s, but for most of the time I was on the dole, or doing courses to try to get a job so I could afford to move out, or both. Then I got a job and suddenly it was possible; I've never regretted it. Besides, it allowed me to get a kitten. :D

Then again, my sister's 10 years older than me and, until she decided to buy the house - and until Mum passed away, last year - she was still living with her parents at the age of 50. And she'd had a job for years.

There is the whole apron strings thing, and certainly it's better for your g/f prospects if you have a degree of independence - but again, that seems to be less of an option these days. Before long, people may be asking, not 'should I move out and get my own place?' but 'how can I move out and get my own place?' It's a bit worrying.

MovedGoalPosts
27-04-2007, 20:42
Each to their own. It's wrong to predefine any circumstances. If the parents are happy for the adult child to reside, what is the big problem?

Many family houses are underoccupied with bedrooms going spare. Why shouldn't the parent have a lodger from their own family rather than a stranger or just empty space?

Just because you reside with your parents doesn't mean that you are clinging to them, it's perfectly possible to leave a full independent lifestyle. Indeed a friend of mine has just left home and got married at 40, having successfully run his own building design company from the family home.

dcclanuk
27-04-2007, 20:51
in some cultures its common for entire families to share the same dwelling ,perhaps we westerners dont have the same family values[just a thought]

Yep, in my culture u stay with ur parents the whollle time, unless ofcourse u move to a different country/dont get on etc... but MOST stay with their parents, unless u are a daughter in which case u go to ur husband's house and live with his parents;)

AntiSilence
27-04-2007, 20:56
I moved out when I was 20 when me and my then girlfriend got a flat together. I like being independent but it's entirely down to the individual family.

maddyp
27-04-2007, 21:32
Yep, in my culture u stay with ur parents the whollle time, unless ofcourse u move to a different country/dont get on etc... but MOST stay with their parents, unless u are a daughter in which case u go to ur husband's house and live with his parents;)

yes, it is us brits that seem to be the odd ones out, and also how many people do you know now that have old parents living with them? that has declined as well with the nuclear family and social mobilisation.

however on the otherhand there is a bloke overthe road who is a teacher and about 40 ish, he lives with his parents still and is a bit wierd :)

papa smurf
27-04-2007, 21:41
yes, it is us brits that seem to be the odd ones out, and also how many people do you know now that have old parents living with them? that has declined as well with the nuclear family and social mobilisation.

however on the otherhand there is a bloke overthe road who is a teacher and about 40 ish, he lives with his parents still and is a bit wierd :)

does he have a beard...cycle to work and carry a satchel, if so your right hees a teacher

peanut
27-04-2007, 21:47
Years ago anything over the age of 20+ could be odd but today that's long gone, now it's acceptable because of the pressures of modern life.

Home is home at the end of the day, lots of people are divorcing and ending back at home, no big deal. People can't leave home because of the stupid house prices, the list is endless and all are valid.

I left home at 18 and so far I've not had to go back, but I won't feel bad or degraded if I had to. I know plenty who have and sometimes it's even enviable.

AndyCambs
27-04-2007, 22:23
I think it's important to remember that

Property is much more expensive now
Some parents may require the support of a son or daughter - heavy work and company
Some parents may welcome the additional finances that they bring into the home
There is also the additional company for both.Having said that - I think the major problem is cost of property and getting on the first rung of the property ladder. There's nothing wrong with someone living at home if it suits all parties.

Druchii
27-04-2007, 22:31
I'm moving out July 18th, i'm 18 and i'm leaving the country :)

danielf
27-04-2007, 22:48

And I salute you Sir! Whatever comes of it, at least you are brave enough to take a plunge. :tu: Happy cherry picking Druchii :)

bringerofnoise
27-04-2007, 22:51
i moved out when me and missus got flat together when i was 20 something soooo long ago.

but yea move out when your ready or if you keep seeing rented property circled in the paper and your mam says "Read the paper yet?" rofl

Graham M
28-04-2007, 00:03
I'm 22 in 2 weeks and still perfectly happy living at home, the fact that my Mum only basically pops in a few times a week makes this easier (she mainly stays with her Fiancé) So it's more or less a house that I share with my brother. I would be quite happy moving out and renting a room, let's see what life throws me eh? :)

ZrByte
28-04-2007, 00:12
I'm 23 now and me and my girlfriend are making plans to move out together around our 25th birthdays. our plan is to use the next 16 or so months to try and get as deby free as possible and to get some savings together. We didnt chose 25 due to any social preasures or anything like that. We just really want to start the rest of our lives together and think that this is the next logical step.
Only problem is we have both worked up a bit of debt over the last few years and with her doing a nursing diploma (Was a degree but she changed it) we dont really have the cash flow to get out of trouble at the moment.
Hopefully with me starting my new job this week I will have the money to move out sooner if possible :D .

zing_deleted
28-04-2007, 00:14
Its never unacceptable cuz its never anyone elses business.

I was kicked out at 16 and never had the chance to go back but until I had a place that was actually just for me I would have gone back given the chance

Nugget
28-04-2007, 00:17
I don't understand the pressure, to be honest. I'm the youngest of three, but I was the first to leave - in fact, Older Brother Nug was the last to leave :shrug:

I left when I was 18 to go to university and, 14 years down the line, I live 140 miles away from the rest of Family Nug but, if there was some reason why I had to go back to Mum & Dad Nugs, they'd welcome me back (dunno where they'd put all of the stuff, but that's a different matter entirely :D )

As has been said, the housing market being as it is means that many people can't afford to leave the parental home anymore - the way I see it is that age is no longer the catalyst to move; salary is...

Druchii
28-04-2007, 00:20
I don't understand the pressure, to be honest. I'm the youngest of three, but I was the first to leave - in fact, Older Brother Nug was the last to leave :shrug:

I left when I was 18 to go to university and, 14 years down the line, I live 140 miles away from the rest of Family Nug but, if there was some reason why I had to go back to Mum & Dad Nugs, they'd welcome me back (dunno where they'd put all of the stuff, but that's a different matter entirely :D )

As has been said, the housing market being as it is means that many people can't afford to leave the parental home anymore - the way I see it is that age is no longer the catalyst to move; salary is...
Very well put Nug, and that's why it's becoming more common for students to have more than 4 people living at one place. I know for a fact there will be 4 or 5 of us in the rented house... Only way we could afford it even when two of them have decent jobs. (And yes, this is referring to Norway, but it;s the same here too!)

AntiSilence
28-04-2007, 02:29
And I salute you Sir! Whatever comes of it, at least you are brave enough to take a plunge. :tu: Happy cherry picking Druchii :)

Apologies if I get this part wrong Daniel. Are you Dutch? Did you move to the UK with your family when you were old enough to decide if you wanted to or not? I only ask out of curiosity, hope you don't mind.

IMO anyone who moves countries is very brave, at any age. Druchii moving at 18 is pretty impressive. I wish him all the best.

Rockabilly Spike
28-04-2007, 11:43
I'm 30 and my girlfriend is 18.
My parents separated when I just turned 21 and my so called mother just left one sunday morning, leaving me to explain to my 16 year old sis that her mam wasnt coming back.
My dad was in a pretty bad state as he'd retired from work aged 50 on the sick with multiple forms of arthritis from 35 odd years as an electrical engineer at Northern Electric.
the divorce took almost 7 years to finalise with neither me or my sister having any contact with our mother and I continued to live with my dad while my sis moved out to live with her boyfriend when she turned 21.
I always got on far better with my dad anyways, he helped me in my chosen path as a musician and even loaned me the money to go to college and get my COMPT TIA N+ and A+ qualifications too.
We shared a love of rock n roll music and guitars, I shared nothing with my mother at all.
I continued to live with my dad as in the divorce settlement to stop my mother from making us homeless, my sister and I gave away our 2 1/4 shares in a property left to us my our late grandfather. which amounted to around £32,000 when sold.
in the settlement it was deemed that this and the 1/2 share of the property which belonged to my mother was enough to finalise the divorce and the house we live in was put into my dad, mine and my sisters names.
I never saw the point of me moving out of a house I like living in, where me and my dad get on very well, rarely argue & split all the bills in half.
My girlfriend moved in with us after 3 weeks of us going out as she was having difficulty getting any privacy at home, being the middle of 9 kids from her dads 3 marriages.
My dad has remained single and has no problems with us living all under the same roof.
We turned my sisters old room into a music room for my guitar collection (currently 23 guitars)
We all get on fine.
Why would we wanna live anywhere else
My girlfriend is going to uni soon and won't be able to afford to live elsewhere, and I couldnt afford to support her and my dad couldnt afford to run the house on his own.
Why change anything.
We don't plan to marry-EVER
We don't want kids-EVER!

the situation works.
We all share a house, I don't really 'still live at home'.

Action Jackson
28-04-2007, 12:53
I'm 30 and my girlfriend is 18.

Kudos to Rockabilly Spike. :D

AlabasterLyn
28-04-2007, 12:54
I think it's so hard to get on the property ladder these days that our children do stay at home far longer than they used to years ago.

My son left home when he was 26 and bought a house with his fiancee. I don't think he realised till he had his own house that not only would he never have any money left after paying the bills, but also looking after your own house takes up a lot of time too.

Also the Magic Fairy is no longer there to pick up after you when you leave home ;)

Lyn

danielf
28-04-2007, 13:08
Apologies if I get this part wrong Daniel. Are you Dutch? Did you move to the UK with your family when you were old enough to decide if you wanted to or not? I only ask out of curiosity, hope you don't mind.

IMO anyone who moves countries is very brave, at any age. Druchii moving at 18 is pretty impressive. I wish him all the best.

Yes, I am Dutch. I moved here for work (alone) when I was in my early thirties, and my GF (now wife) joined me a year or so later. I also spent half a year in the UK back in my twenties when I was at Uni. That was pretty brave :)

Rockabilly Spike
28-04-2007, 13:26
Kudos to Rockabilly Spike. :D

HA! Cheers, yer not the first to say that.
I still reckon she's more grown up than me!

Halcyon
29-04-2007, 10:49
I don't think there is a set age for moving out as everyone is different.
I do think though that if you are in a stable job and you have reached 30, you should have enough money to move out.

I think a lot of young people at the moment are coming out of Uni with debts and the fact that house prices are so high is not helping.

I'm actually looking at going abroad since house prices are so high and flats are the only possible option and they are not cheap either.

Part of life is getting used to fending for yourself and you have to start taking on your own responsabilities at some point.
You can't expect your parents to help you out forever.
(Unless ofcourse for certain circumstances as the OP mentioned).

Toto
29-04-2007, 11:06
I am impressed with an old asian workmate of mine, who being married and in keeping in step with his religion has a nice large familty.

However large though he always plans to ensure that his parents have room to live with him and his family.

Perhaps we shouldn't ask what is an acceptable age to still live with our parents, maybe we should be asking at what age does it become acceptable to forget what our parents, and our family mean to us.

AndrewJ
29-04-2007, 11:32
I moved out when I was 21.

sssshhhh
01-05-2007, 09:52
I left home at 19. At 27 I am about to go back to college to study for my degree. If I was to stay on my own I would have to work full time hours and still attend college 2 days a week, and find time to study in between. As a result my parents have positively encouraged me to go back to them for a year or two. They have said that they don't expect much financially as they would like me to spend the spare cash I have on new equipment for my course. new camera laptop etc. And as they both work long hours they will appreciate me being around to help run the house etc.

I am very lucky to have parents I look up to and admire. We didn't have anything materialistically growing up but my parents went without to give us what we needed. they have been married for nearly 30 years and still dote on eachother. And they still look out for me and my siblings. I feel quite blessed.

Angua
01-05-2007, 10:12
I didn't leave home until 30 and even then (by this stage including husband and 2 children) moved back at 40 to care for my Mum.

However, someone who stays at home and does not try to build a long term relationship with anyone other than their parent/s does need to get out and stand on their own two feet even if it is only for a few months.

Jules
01-05-2007, 11:25
Why is it no one thinks it is strange if a daughter is still at home when she is older but they think it is strange for a man to do that?

I never left home as I was a full time carer.

Halcyon
01-05-2007, 11:59

Are you going to be renting out there ?
What are the house prices like there ?

I'm looking at moving abroad too. House prices are way too expensive and I can't afford to move out at the moment into any place here in the UK.
Even flats are selling for huge amounts.

I could possibly rent here but I don't want to spend so much time throwing money away whilst I save for a house.
My plan would be to rent cheaply abroad to give me time to find something to buy. I can then get a decent sized place that would otherwise cost me me the earth in the UK.

As for living with parents, I think it has many advantages if you are single but as soon as you meet someone or have a baby, parents would just get in the way, always having something to say.
You need space as a couple and I can't see it working if parents live with you.

Vlad_Dracul
01-05-2007, 16:58
There are a number of issues here;

What sort of relationship does he have with his parents? Is it one of total independance,is it co-dependant,is it controlling?

Relationships change and evolve over time and what might at present be a suitable arrangement could become one in which he feels trapped, especially so if one parent dies or becomes ill. Unfortunately our system will,if it can get away with it,put the full burden of being a "carer" on anyone whom they can get to wear that badge. A son living at home would be ideal. That would cramp his style somewhat wouldnt it?

What do his parents do for him? do they cook,clean and let him live practically rent free? If so then that too is an nuhealthy relationship.

Of course there are cultural issues. Traditionally, the indigenious peoples of this sceptic isle have done one from home realtively early and sought to set up their own patch,their own home. This may be by their own hard work (mortgage) or by hitching a ride on the taxpayers back.

Other cultures,notably Asian..have traditionally taken a more co-operative approach. In truth this has to be the better way. They live in a larger house,several generations of the same family share resources and expenses and typically,everyone benefits.

I was listening to a programme on the wirelss the other day. A priest had been doing some work in a village in Africa where,traditionally, the villagers lived in a collection of wooden long houses,with very little separation between families. Residents were free to move throughout the long house and as such ,benefitted from the help and resources of their neighbours.

At prayer time one of the elders prayed thus.." Oh Lord,spare us from Stone houses".
The visiting priest was perplexed by this prayer. He asked someone to explain. Apparently in a neighbouring village,western incomers,thinking they were helping,had built individual stone homes for each family. The result had been a breakdown in soical cohesion and co-operation and a general downturn in the wellbeing and happiness of most of the villagers.

Look at British society today and we can see parallels.

Oh Lord, help spare us from stone houses...

So then the communal and co-operative approach is often the best.

What is more important is the quality of that co-operative relationship. Resources and responsibility should be shared with mutual understanding and no one party having a hidden interest,agenda or control.

Just think,, if YOU could live with your partner in a great big house with your siblings and possibly parents, you would all only have one load of expenses,you would all have more money,you would probably have better relationships and help would always be on hand.

Xaccers
01-05-2007, 17:19
Just think,, if YOU could live with your partner in a great big house with your siblings and possibly parents, you would all only have one load of expenses,you would all have more money,you would probably have better relationships and help would always be on hand.

I'd go insane.
Did it for a year due to financial situation, and that was thankfully without my sister.

AntiSilence
01-05-2007, 17:21
Why is it no one thinks it is strange if a daughter is still at home when she is older but they think it is strange for a man to do that?

Because a man who still lives with his parents at age 40 is without a doubt a serial killer!* ;)

* No, I don't have any facts to that!

peanut
01-05-2007, 17:44
Because a man who still lives with his parents at age 40 is without a doubt a serial killer!* ;)

* No, I don't have any facts to that!

Why?? The parent's probably don't have that long till they move/check out themselves. Save's hassle to just stay and bide your time. lol.

awibble
01-05-2007, 17:54
Everyone seems obsessed by the fact its hard to get on the propertly ladder... Personally i think it comes to people wanting too much. Many i see wont move out as they carn't afford a "nice" house. They wont move to a not so nice area, and work their way up the property ladder, they want to start at the top.

peanut
01-05-2007, 17:55
Everyone seems obsessed by the fact its hard to get on the propertly ladder... Personally i think it comes to people wanting too much. Many i see wont move out as they carn't afford a "nice" house. They wont move to a not so nice area, and work their way up the property ladder, they want to start at the top.

Now a lot of people can take offence to that. :mad:

Berezovski
01-05-2007, 18:49
As soon as my son was 18, I bought him a house (avoiding the Inheritance tax) and moved out. I am planning to do the same with the other one in 2 years time (same reason). Although the second one will go to the Uni...

peanut
01-05-2007, 18:56
Most people tend to get a pint and a card for their 18th. :dozey:

Still, not everyone is so lucky eh.

SnoopZ
01-05-2007, 19:30
I left at 29 when i was able to afford my first 2 bedroom house which cost £60,000 new. The same house is probably worth around £180,000 now and i'd never be able to afford to do that if i'd still lived at home now, so i got out at about the right time, just very very lucky.

Maggy
01-05-2007, 19:41
Now a lot of people can take offence to that. :mad:

Why?I can't see anything to be offended by in that post?I think he may be right.I think todays youngsters and I mean 18+ are too fussy.When I was 18 you had to accept fairly low standards just to rent and loads of my generation bought houses in less than salubrious areas and did them up...few of us expected to walk into a furnished well made over property without paying through the nose.Anyway when I left home it was for halls of residence which were nothing special(it was an old converted RAF barracks) and fairly basic with no kitchen or stove and only communal baths and showers.Today's students move into some fantastic new special built apartments with on suite bathrooms and wouldn't even look at the sorts of flats some of my fellow students and I moved into when pushed out of the halls in our second and third year. :erm:

Druchii
01-05-2007, 19:46
Why?I can't see anything to be offended by in that post?I think he may be right.I think todays youngsters and I mean 18+ are too fussy.When I was 18 you had to accept fairly low standards just to rent and loads of my generation bought houses in less than salubrious areas and did them up...few of us expected to walk into a furnished well made over property without paying through the nose.Anyway when I left home it was for halls of residence which were nothing special(it was an old converted RAF barracks) and fairly basic with no kitchen or stove and only communal baths and showers.Today's students move into some fantastic new special built apartments with on suite bathrooms and wouldn't even look at the sorts of flats some of my fellow students and I moved into when pushed out of the halls in our second and third year. :erm:
Well said Coggy, i'm moving into a small apartment, 1 bathroom, 1 toilet, 1 Communal area and 3 bedrooms. It's small, but it'll be home :) And it'll be shared between 4 or 5.

Also going to cost an arm and a leg anyway :(

peanut
01-05-2007, 20:17
Some people don't have the luxury of choice in the matter. Turning down a pile of junk that comes in at around the top of your limit doesn't come under as being too choosy, maybe that pile of junk is way above your top limit to start with.

Sure some have that luxury, living at home till you save up a good deposit etc, but by the time you've saved it up you still need another good chunk to top it up.

You talk about youngsters and 18+, who are these youngsters that can actually afford to get on the bottom rung of the housing ladder?? There are a lot of people who work hard as the next person but that bottom rung is all but a distant far off pipe dream. A choice in the matter....ok :rolleyes:

I think you don't understand the all important context of my posts. I said "Now a lot of people can take offence to that" meaning some, not all, like you suggested.

Maggy
01-05-2007, 22:09
:rolleyes:

I think you don't understand the all important context of my posts. I said "Now a lot of people can take offence to that" meaning some, not all, like you suggested.

Then perhaps you should have phrased your answer a little clearer.It sounded to me like you meant 'a lot of' rather than 'some' seeing as that was how you phrased it.:shrug:

peanut
01-05-2007, 22:12
It was clear. What part of "Now a lot of people can take offence to that" means 'everyone' or 'all' like you suggested?

Maggy
01-05-2007, 22:26
It was clear. What part of "Now a lot of people can take offence to that" means 'everyone' or 'all' like you suggested?

I think what you mean by a lot is not what I mean by a lot:scratch: :D

Anyway I still fail to see why anyone would take offence at that posting...:shrug:

TheDaddy
01-05-2007, 22:49
Offence is such an over used word imo

Mr Angry
01-05-2007, 23:25

Xaccers
03-05-2007, 12:16
I bought what I could afford at the end of last century in Weacock Farm.
It took 6 months for the sellers to find somewhere else and move on, and I had to stick with them because a month after my offer was accepted, house prices moved up out of my reach.
I paid the price for only being able to afford a house in an area like that, what with my car torched, my sister's car torched, nearly every window broken, burgled at least 4 times, fence ripped down by a convicted murderer etc.
With hindsight, I'd have found a much better place to rent for the same amount I was paying out for a mortgage.
I'm doing it now, actually, for what I'm renting, I'm paying less than half the mortgage costs.

With regards to grown up kids living with their folks, it depends on the relationship they have.
For instance, a 33 year old son who has to be home at 10pm, has his spending kerbed or frowned on by his parents, has no privacy, I feel is unhealthy, and from experience of a couple of people I've known in that situation, stunts the growth of their emotional maturity.
However, if someone is treated as an adult by their parents, with mutual respect, then it can be beneficial to both. For instance due to financial reasons I moved in with my folks for a couple of years some time ago, which gave them an extra income, me a roof and laundry service (thanks mum) so it worked quite well.
Was a bit awkward when my gf moved in with me, we definitely needed extra space, which we got when I went bankrupt and was able to afford to rent a small but reasonable 2 bed house.
With a new job in a new city, we moved closer to work and got a bigger place using the money saved in fuel costs.
I've got another friend who's in his late 40s/early 50's and lives with his elderly parents looking out for them.
Any age should be acceptable to be living with your parents, as long as all parties are happy with the arangement.

alferret
03-05-2007, 12:59
I left home at 14, yet my Bro lived with the old man until he was nearly 39 (last year)

Nugget
03-05-2007, 16:39
Why?? The parent's probably don't have that long till they move/check out themselves. Save's hassle to just stay and bide your time. lol.

Anyone else get the impression that peanut's around 40?

:D

Nidge
06-05-2007, 07:04
I moved back to my parents last year after splitting up with the missus, I'm still here today. I'm still looking for somehwere to live but round here house prices are a joke, even renting your looking at £100 per week for a shoe box.

My mother is on her own after the death of my father 2 years ago, I hope she likes my company:D :D :D :D , I take her shopping, I take her to the bingo and pick her up, I'm here to do all the heavy lifting that's involved with owning a house, I'm also here when she goes on holiday to look after the house, last year she went to Australia for 9 weeks, I was here so the house was safe.

I see nothing wrong with people still living at home with their parents no matter what age they are at.

scrotnig
06-05-2007, 10:04
I was chucked out by my parents at 16 and left to my own devices. I would not have stayed much longer anyway. We get on now, but if we were to try and live under the same roof again, we would not. Not for the more obvious reasons, it's a bit deeper than that. Complicated.

It wasn't easy, and I had to finish my education at 16 (which didn't really bother me as I hated school). I have done ok since, I don't own a house though and don't want to. I rent a complete terraced house and that's great for me. It's far too big as I live alone, but I wouldn't want it any other way.