PDA

View Full Version : The 20Mb timetable

Paul H
26-04-2007, 18:43
will be published in May. you can also find out if your modem needs upgrading too. the web team responsible for doing it are pretty busy. pity they couldn't have put it up before the event and not during or even after.

:rolleyes:

Paul K
26-04-2007, 18:48
And your problem with them actually publishing it in the first place is? Last time upgrades were carried out no timetable was published and no information was published. This left customers in the dark and without any guidance from an official source. Would you rather this happened again?

Paul H
26-04-2007, 18:49
And your problem with them actually publishing it in the first place is?

Did I say I had a problem with them publishing it in the first place Paul? :confused::mad:

grubbymitts
26-04-2007, 19:13
Paul vs Paul.

Round 1: FIGHT!!!!

;)

zing_deleted
26-04-2007, 19:22
I bet Paul wins.

Seeing as the roll out is happening for a few before schedule is a good thing isnt it? roll out is due for may customers have been informed those who get it early are just lucky. Mr H has just found an excuse to hit out at VM again

Paul K
26-04-2007, 19:25
Not that he needs one to post some of the stuff he does :erm: All I can say is that by publishing the timetable at least this time people will know what is happening and maybe this time we won't suffer hundred of duplicate threads asking the same thing.

zing_deleted
26-04-2007, 19:26
wanna bet lol

dilli-theclaw
26-04-2007, 19:27
Not that he needs one to post some of the stuff he does :erm: All I can say is that by publishing the timetable at least this time people will know what is happening and maybe this time we won't suffer hundred of duplicate threads asking the same thing.Come now - I bet we do ;) :)

yesman
26-04-2007, 19:28
will be published in May. you can also find out if your modem needs upgrading too. the web team responsible for doing it are pretty busy. pity they couldn't have put it up before the event and not during or even after.

:rolleyes:

They are still behind this lot (http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/news/2007/04/26/Internet-Speed-Records-Smashed/p1) :D

Paul K
26-04-2007, 19:35
Come now - I bet we do ;) :)
C'mon, we can dream can't we ;) Maybe when it is published there should be a link or copy of the information in a sticky at the top of each forum area and a big article on the front page.... maybe even a link in the email that gets sent to new registrants for confirmation of account details. Might stem the flow a bit :D

Paul H
26-04-2007, 19:41
I bet Paul wins.

Thanks for the support. but as sure that we both are of me winning. I am not fighting. :D

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

Not that he needs one to post some of the stuff he does :erm: All I can say is that by publishing the timetable at least this time people will know what is happening and maybe this time we won't suffer hundred of duplicate threads asking the same thing.

Paul they said long ago that they'll be posting the schedule for speed upgrades in the next few weeks. they said some customers may require a modem upgrade and they would be able to check whether they would.
The planned rollout is May 1st. so you would expect that it would be there for all to see long before then. but it turns out that those responsible for publishing the information are far too busy doing other things.

Zee
26-04-2007, 19:46
Paul VS Paul

lol.. yall are funny...

it is kinda stupid them posting the timetable so late, but atleast they are doing it, hopefully they will keep to it though.

Paul H
26-04-2007, 19:52
Paul VS Paul

lol.. yall are funny...

it is kinda stupid them posting the timetable so late, but atleast they are doing it, hopefully they will keep to it though.

A big thing as this 20Mb upgrade. I'd agree that it is a bit stupid not publishing it sooner. at least list what modems are capable of the speed if anything?

Hex
26-04-2007, 20:02

So late? Remember the roll-outs are not even supposed to start until next Tuesday, and even then it'll a drawn out process that'll last quite a while. The much awaited timetable is not late...

...Yet. ;)

Zee
26-04-2007, 20:05
Ok. I'll agree it isn't late, but why leave it till the last minute?

Its like me when i was younger and used to do homework, i'd leave it till the night before, the morning its due in or even in the class i'd do it.

Fawkes
26-04-2007, 20:09
Where is this timetable of which you speak?

Chris W
26-04-2007, 20:10
read post number 1 of this thread...

Cobbydaler
26-04-2007, 20:10
Here (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/q2/speed_rollout.html)

Hex
26-04-2007, 20:16
Ok. I'll agree it isn't late, but why leave it till the last minute?

Its like me when i was younger and used to do homework, i'd leave it till the night before, the morning its due in or even in the class i'd do it.

Oh, so I wasn't the only one up at 4am the night before homework was due in, trying to get it finished? :D

The thing is, of everyone getting the upgrade, I think it's only a small percentage of us hanging on counting down the days waiting, most people are more "Oh well it be here when it gets here" and not too bothered.

sstainer
26-04-2007, 20:24
exactly why worry they [VM] say may onwards sometime so shall wait & see

DieDieMyDarling
26-04-2007, 22:14
The thing is, VM are playing it up, seeing it as a big thing, the fastest speeds in the UK etc, it's great while they're blowing the trumpets for PR, but they don't really care how the customer side of things go.
The reason they were publishing a list of the modems that need upgrading and rollout timetables is surely so customers won't spend all day phoning CS to ask the same questions over and over again, now it looks like the lists won't be done in time and they'll still get the phone calls, making it a nightmare for their own staff and wait times on CS.
Alex Brown himself seemed pretty embarassed making the announcement on newsgroups, it was clearly a bit of a cock-up. :D

MovedGoalPosts
26-04-2007, 22:25
Off topic posts have been deleted from this thread. The Cable Forum Team will not tolerate the recent spate of pettiness and flaming from some members who would be well advised to note the contents of this post (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34283223-post18.html).

hokkers999
26-04-2007, 22:33
A big thing as this 20Mb upgrade. I'd agree that it is a bit stupid not publishing it sooner. at least list what modems are capable of the speed if anything?

I just stopped by the relevant web page and it now says that if you need to upgrade then you have to pay £25

Don't think so somehow, I've had BB since 2000 when it was first available at the blistering speed of 512 kilobits.

Since then I've paid the best part of 2 grand just for the BB alone never mind the phone service.

Should VM try and actually charge me £25 then I'll be cutting back to the £18/month BB instead, saving me £19/month and after just 6 weeks and from then on VM will be out of pocket.

How dumb can you get, I was always taught in business that you looked after your loyal customers!

Cobbydaler
26-04-2007, 22:36
I just stopped by the relevant web page and it now says that if you need to upgrade then you have to pay £25

Don't think so somehow, I've had BB since 2000 when it was first available at the blistering speed of 512 kilobits.

Since then I've paid the best part of 2 grand just for the BB alone never mind the phone service.

Should VM try and actually charge me £25 then I'll be cutting back to the £18/month BB instead, saving me £19/month and after just 6 weeks and from then on VM will be out of pocket.

How dumb can you get, I was always taught in business that you looked after your loyal customers!

If you can follow written instructions & use a plastic spanner you can install the modem yourself & won't be charged £25...

hokkers999
26-04-2007, 22:39
If you can follow written instructions & use a plastic spanner you can install the modem yourself & won't be charged £25...

You may be right, hope you are but the web site clearly states otherwise!

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/q2/speed_rollout.html

Besides my SB4100 currently has an attenuator on it, bit difficult to measure signal levels and correct if necessary with a plastic spanner :-(

Mr Clean
26-04-2007, 22:41
I cant wait until May 1st when people all come trawling in asking why they don't have 20Mb BB. I just feel sorry for all the poor souls working on CS Helpdesk. Call after call on the same thing.

I'm looking forward to the surprise of waking up one day to finding it on my connection. I like surprises :D

Paul H
26-04-2007, 22:42

After complaints about the £25 charge. many the same as yours. they said that they will now be sending the modems that need upgrading to the customers that needed them free of charge. that's another thing that they're too busy to bother telling customers on that page. you really get the impression that nobody knows about PR at that company.

Nedkelly
26-04-2007, 22:42
Theres going to be a lot of fault calls for this .I wonder how mant t jets are still out there ? These will req a modem change :)

AndrewJ
26-04-2007, 22:45
Paul VS Paul

lol.. yall are funny...

LMFAO YOU SERIOUS? more chance of hitler coming out of the grave marring the pope and creating world peace.:dozey:

Cobbydaler
26-04-2007, 22:46
You may be right, hope you are but the web site clearly states otherwise!

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/q2/speed_rollout.html

I am right, did it myself a couple of weeks ago.

There's already a thread on here somewhere & posts in the newsgroups stating the same.

Just ring CS & ask for a broadband modem Quickstart pack. See here (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/help/quickstart.html)...

TONYHAMILTON
26-04-2007, 22:52
Does anybody in the know have a list of WHAT modems will not take the 20MB upgrade!!

DieDieMyDarling
26-04-2007, 23:43
After complaints about the £25 charge. many the same as yours. they said that they will now be sending the modems that need upgrading to the customers that needed them free of charge. that's another thing that they're too busy to bother telling customers on that page. you really get the impression that nobody knows about PR at that company.
They know all about PR when it's against Sky, ADSL, etc, but you certainly get the feeling that they don't really care enough to put the effort in where customers are concerned. They're way of dealing with customers seems to be through retentions, after things have gone wrong.
The thing about this though, is, how many different types of modem are there out there on VM accounts? Would it really take them that long to make a list of them, then decide which ones can support 20mb? That really does seem to be the most important aspect, let the customers know if they'll need a new modem or not, and make sure they are informed that it'll only cost them £25 if they can't fit it themselves.
One person could surely make the modem list, and a quick google would probably give them the max speeds, i'm sure there's people on this very forum could give a list right now of the ones that need upgrading. One other person to update the single web page, which is probably just a matter of editing the text in a single database entry.
The rollout schedules are probably more exciting without knowing anyway, as mentioned above, it's a nice surprise to wake up and suddenly be on the higher speed. :D

Sirpingalot
26-04-2007, 23:50
I've heard the Ambit NTL 250 and the new 255 will deal with upto 40mb, but I'd look into it before taking my word.

CRJ
27-04-2007, 00:14
All this take of 20mb has got me wondering - has a timetable been published yet detailing when my 4mb line will be upgraded to 4mb?;)

crj

shawty
27-04-2007, 01:21
I am right, did it myself a couple of weeks ago.

There's already a thread on here somewhere & posts in the newsgroups stating the same.

Just ring CS & ask for a broadband modem Quickstart pack. See here (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/help/quickstart.html)...

Thats not the point though. Its all well and good in forum land and newsgroup land, but for the average customer it clearly states £25 to upgrade.

Druchii
27-04-2007, 01:22
Does anybody in the know have a list of WHAT modems will not take the 20MB upgrade!!
Basically all recent(ish) modems, a list iknow will work are as follows:

Motorola SB5101E
Motorola SB5101
Ambit 250
Ambit 255

There are probably others as well mind :)

AndrewJ
27-04-2007, 01:46
I've a silver ntl:200 ambit...should be fine should'nt it? I know if they want bloody cash for a upgrade they can go and insert something where sun don't shine.

Sirpingalot
27-04-2007, 03:40
I'm not sure it is, sorry. And I think the upgrade is free if you choose to install it yourself.

hokkers999
27-04-2007, 09:14
I'm not sure it is, sorry. And I think the upgrade is free if you choose to install it yourself.

I'm quite capable of unplugging my SB4100 and plugging in whatever they send out, BUT what about the attenuator on the back?

How am I supposed to measure the levels? Just chucking a modem on the network where the signal levels are out of kilter will not only degrade my performance but likely that of everyone else on the same head end.

greenlantern64
27-04-2007, 10:04
I have the same modem as you. If you check on the Motorola site you will find that on the spec sheet ( which you can download) this modem should be ok up to 38 meg ish . So it should be ok.