PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media have completely lost the plot

Lucie from SW16
26-04-2007, 02:11
Never in my life have I been so incensed to join a forum to complain about I the way I have been treated by Virgin Media. Not only have they wasted lots of my time in email mails and numerous phone calls (back and forth from their customer centre in Manchester), but they have caused me considerable stress over numerous broken promises. Some 3 months later and the problem has yet to be resolved, despite visits from three Engineers and the matter being escalated to a Manager named Mr Ward, and then to another more senior manager named Colin. Sorry to name you Mr Ward because you are a nice guy and say all the right things about how disappointed and let down you are with the workforce, but you simply cannot galvanise the company to carry out the simplest of tasks. Sorry that you need a few minutes to read this, but have been horribly mucked around and needed to let off steam.

As you can see from the picture I have attached, Virgin Media’s engineers first need a lesson in aesthetics; this is the cable they attached to the building I live in and manage on behalf of the other owners. One morning late January, I looked out of my window to see it running across my window, but the working BT line was cut in order to fit the cable through the window (the BT cable was then left to dangle across the top part of my window). This is when I contacted Virgin Media who for starters had no record of the installation, (though they could trace another flat in our building). This is when I was given the number of their fraud department since they suspected the cable had been illegally put up. Anyway, three weeks later after numerous phone calls was finally put through to customer care. Between us, we eventually uncovered that a new tenant in the flat did have an account with Virgin Media, but in order for the installation to go ahead with no authorisation from Owner/Landloard, had given the address as a house not a flat. However, Virgin on their form do have a box that should be ticked for proper authorisation, this of course was not done. What is the point of having it if proceedures are not followed?

Things did start to move once they decided they had a customer. Joanne in customer care (who has always tried to keep me informed of events either by email or phone call) arranged for the first engineer to come round on the 9th March. She informed me by email that Jason was and inspect the property, possibly to remove the cable if they could not confirm all the account details were in order. All I wanted was the cable to be fixed in a sympathetic manner along the same route as the defunct BT cable, and for the BT cable to be removed.

10th March had another email from Joanne and she asked if everything had been sorted. No I said, so she arranged for Kelvin to come round within the next two hours on the Saturday. My first question when he came was “why was the cable put up so badly?”. His reply was “well we couldn’t go indoors because we are not allowed to fix cables to skirtings.” Fine I said, but why was the cable for the large part left dangling in a hazardous way. “Well engineers do not operate with ladders, so we fixed only what we could reach from the ground with a step ladder”. I said that was odd for a telecommunication company not to expect to routinely use ladders. Anyway we agreed verbally that the BT cable should be removed and the new cable fixed along that route. He said would come back Monday (12th March) with a ladder. I decided to work at home that day so I could make sure things would be sorted out properly. Alas he never came that day, and I had to go the next day to work. However, the Engineer came the next day (how convenient as I wasn’t in) did re-route the cable away from my window, but now left it dangling over the tiles and did not remove the BT cable. This was an improvement, but not what was agreed, and now it created a different problem; the tiles need to be fixed, but the cable would now get in our way. Another email back to Joanne to say was not at all happy with the situation. This is when the problem was escalated to the Team Manager, Mr Ward, who actually phoned me at home to see what should be done. I discussed I wanted the BT cable to be removed; after all it was Virgin Media who had dissconnected, and that their cable to be put in the agreed place. He said that was perfectly reasonable and he would speak to Kelvin. In the meantime, Kelvin came round again to the house and we had another conversation. I asked “why was the cable not dealt with as agreed?” He replied I sent another man round and he must have misunderstood my instructions”. I also asked why he did not come round when he had promised. He said that he was going to, but that he had so many jobs to do and the company makes him switch around a lot. I thought by now I might be some sort of priority. Anyway, another promise was made to sort out within two days. Left it a few more days before I contacted Mr Ward again. After another two conversations (I am losing count of them) I was assured that the matter would be resolved. Another few days past and I phoned again on the 23rd March to Mr Ward, and said that I was running out of patience, but was going on holiday for two weeks and could he assure me it would be sorted out. He gave me the strongest possible assurance.

Needless to say came back 6th April still nothing sorted out. Not only that, but there was yet another new cable installation, yes you guessed it, another job where the engineer had no clue about aesthetics – we now had a large junction box fixed at a random point on our skirting board- by a new tenant who, you have guessed, did not get permission from the owners. I thought after my last complaints that they would have learnt the lesson that we live in flats and need owner permission. Now I was really angry that my problem just got bigger and the holiday feeling had gone rather quickly.

After the Easter break, I phoned a couple of times and eventually got hold of Mr Ward again, he was becoming rather elusive by now! He said it was time to get a more senior manager involved and passed the matter over to Colin. A week later was phoned by Virgin Media to say that the area manger would come by and sort out the problem once and for all. I arranged to be in on 21st April. Yes Jason the complaints man came (or was he one of the originals guys) and surveyed the problems. He could understand why I was upset and said that he was sure he could sort everything out that day. He started with the inside job, removed the large junction box and tidied the cables best he could. The damage had already been done, and while I would have rather removed them, I also wanted to minimise the further damage to the decoration. Then he said that he would have to get a ladder to sort out the other job (they ought to have come prepared). Unfortunately could not get hold of a ladder that day, but promised to be back Tuesday 7.30 in the morning to finish the problem. Left me his mobile number and said I could contact him re-the unfinished job. You’ve guessed it, no show on Tuesday, but Jason’s mobile has a full mail box so cannot leave a message. Back on the phone to Mr Ward, who he shocked by the turn of events. I stayed on the phone line till he spoke to Jason to find out why no show. The reason given was that it was not that sinple to get a ladder - Virgin media have strict health and safety rules and the Engineers have to get permission to go up them. He had only got that today and would be round tomorrow. Wish they had rules about how cables go up without permission! Again Mr Ward give me absolute assurance that everything would be sorted out Wednesday (25th April) and he would discuss some form of compensation. I said that I would never touch Virgin Media with a barge pole, but did want some recompense for all the phone calls and stress.

Still nothing, but do not know where to go from here. I wanted people to at least here about the traumas of a company who call themselves professionals. Perhaps will shame them into action who knows. Do not know what this country has come to, the customer always comes last and the ethics of this long saga stink. Any suggestions of the way forward?

Thanks for listening,
Lucie

jrhnewark
26-04-2007, 02:34
Submit a written complaint to Virgin Media, outlining the key points promptly to see where the failings happened. Tell them what you want them to do to make it better.

If they don't respond in a manner that you feel is appropriate, then I'm under the impression that you should be able to talk to Ofcom about their behaviour. :)

Paul K
26-04-2007, 08:49
Most of your poll options are non-sensical.
You cannot cut the cable as it is destruction of someone elses property, emailling someone to say you have posted this thread will get you nowhere,
going to OFCOM without going through the proper complaints procedures will again get you nowhere,
contacting someone higher than Mr Ward? Do you know who is above him and how to contact them?
Why not wait for a team member to see your thread, they have contacts within VM that they can escalate isses to which can help resolve a lot of issues quickly?

punky
26-04-2007, 09:26
Hi Lucie. :welcome: to the forum.

We do have a contact within VM who helps resolve issues for our members when CS fails...

If you want, you can PM me with your details and i'll forward them on.

colin-bennett
26-04-2007, 09:37
I am sorry you having this difficulty.
From your pic it obvious the install was very very inferior to what one would expect.
I suspect at some point wayleave has been granted in order for all people to have services at your address. This being so it is no excuss for the poor install.
Next time you contact cust services ask if you ex NTL or ex Telewest.
If it is the later req the complaint be raised to installes support who will be able to resolve this issue.
I suspect you ex NTL.
Do not give up as this can be resolved.
Gavin can help if you give him your details..

Lucie from SW16
26-04-2007, 10:23
Thanks for the advice, will be writing formally once have the energy to do do

NTLVictim
26-04-2007, 10:33
Wait 'till the techs on here see that picture, they'll go ballistic!

Lucie from SW16
26-04-2007, 10:34
Most of your poll options are non-sensical.
You cannot cut the cable as it is destruction of someone elses property, emailling someone to say you have posted this thread will get you nowhere,
going to OFCOM without going through the proper complaints procedures will again get you nowhere,
contacting someone higher than Mr Ward? Do you know who is above him and how to contact them?
Why not wait for a team member to see your thread, they have contacts within VM that they can escalate isses to which can help resolve a lot of issues quickly?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Tenants have no rights to alter communal areas of buildings without permission; only owners in agrement with the freeholder can do this. Furthermore did Virgin have the right to cut someone elses cable to put there own in?

Cheers, Lucie

NTLVictim
26-04-2007, 13:11
Cutting the BT cable is criminal damage, AFAIK.

Lord Nikon
26-04-2007, 19:09
Let me think... now, Bear in mind I am NOT a lawyer or in any way connected with the legal profession, but it seems to me you have several cases here
1) the tennant has damaged the property (holes in wall used to mount VM splitter pack at his request and authorization without prior authority)
2) VM has committed trespass and damaged the property
3) The tennant in telling VM it's a house and not flats in order to bypass the requirement for a wayleave from yourself has committed fraud
4) VM has criminally damaged BT property by cutting the cable

you have IMO grounds to nail VM for the damage to property and trespass, the tennant for damage to property and fraud, and BT have grounds to nail VM for criminal damage. You also have grounds to evict the tennant, which would also leave him liable to pay for repairs etc using the rent deposit, and liable to VM for the remainder of the contract.

Should you wish to retain the VM install, you should insist on an installs manager to inspect the job done.

That's just my opinion

Arthurgray50@blu
26-04-2007, 19:37
Hi ya Lucie from SW16, l think l may have the solution for you, as l know a bit about this sort of thing and the problems you have had with VM, take photos of the problem, and also times and dates of when you phoned VM, and post them direct (recorded delivery) to Sir Richard Branson, (Head Office) this will keep him in touch with what is happening to customers, l had problems with VM several months ago, and he will sort the problem out, when the porblem happened with me, l had a reply within several days and it was fixed a couple of days later.

What the problem is, that as VM have taken over from Telewest / NTL, there WILL be problems, the best policy is, when you phone CS, some people care and some don't, l had problems just the other day, but l threatened to pull the plug, that certainly sorted it. Good Luck.

NTLVictim
26-04-2007, 19:38
In short, get brutal..some people don't respond to anything less!:D

Arthurgray50@blu
26-04-2007, 19:38
Hi ya Lucie from SW16, l think l may have the solution for you, as l know a bit about this sort of thing and the problems you have had with VM, take photos of the problem, and also times and dates of when you phoned VM, and post them direct (recorded delivery) to Sir Richard Branson, (Head Office) this will keep him in touch with what is happening to customers, l had problems with VM several months ago, and he will sort the problem out, when the porblem happened with me, l had a reply within several days and it was fixed a couple of days later.

What the problem is, that as VM have taken over from Telewest / NTL, there WILL be problems, the best policy is, when you phone CS, some people care and some don't, l had problems just the other day, but l threatened to pull the plug, that certainly sorted it. Good Luck.

on in an hour!
26-04-2007, 20:31

hi arthur,VM as you say,havent taken over NTL/telewest.they have accquired a license to re-brand as a virgin company as part of the deal when they bought virgin mobile,as part of that deal richard branson became a major shareolder in the newly re-branded company. (he owned something like 72% of virgin mobile,and they were bought for over £800m.) these things have been occuring long b4 the name changed (and i really do feel for the person in question).whenever instances like this occur in my franchise, and an in-house customer service technician is sent,(through the cust getting a fault visit booked) they will inevitably get sorted as every contractor has an in-house manager overseeing the contract partners,and the techs are in direct contact with said manager constantly.i really hope this issue gets resolved to the satisfaction of all parties concerned but your statement is a broad and sweeping one in light of the fact that many many installations go without a hitch.good health to you and yours arthur.:) suggestion: why not start a thread to ask people to post their praises and successful install stories on this forum? research shows that if your unhappy with a service you will tell (on average) 9 people.if your happy you will only tell 1. ;)

Lucie from SW16
23-05-2007, 19:40
Gavin, Just to let you know that your contact in Virgin media, did eventaully sort out the problem, so thanks for your help there. It has restored a little of my faith in humankind - at least someone wanted to sort out the problem and see it to the end. Lucie

[Admin Edit(Mick):Name of individual contact removed]