PDA

View Full Version : Wine

greencreeper
25-04-2007, 23:43
I've developed a fondness for Jacob's Creek Riesling white wine. It's one of the few wines I've tasted that doesn't have strong overtones of floor cleaner. I buy single bottles at a time. I was wondering if there's a good online wine merchant so I can buy in bulk. Are all Rieslings roughly the same, assuming I can't get hold of Jacob's Creek? :erm:

Ramrod
26-04-2007, 08:25
I'd just keep an eye open in the supermarkets for any deals that they might be doing from time to time. When they do a good deal then buy a couple of cases......:)

zing_deleted
26-04-2007, 08:32
http://uk.shopping.com/xDN-wine--jacob_s_creek_orlando only link i could find with a quick search

links round to here http://www.waitrosewine.com/Search/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=jacob&Offset=1&refined=0

not using Jacob in search parameter http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/xsite.aspx?xsite=NT55.xml

http://www.bestcellars.co.uk/

http://www.casevalue.com/

Mr_love_monkey
26-04-2007, 09:19
I've developed a fondness for Jacob's Creek Riesling white wine. It's one of the few wines I've tasted that doesn't have strong overtones of floor cleaner. I buy single bottles at a time. I was wondering if there's a good online wine merchant so I can buy in bulk. Are all Rieslings roughly the same, assuming I can't get hold of Jacob's Creek? :erm:

have you looked at Virgin Wine? - they run various signing up promotions as well, giving you free wine.

greencreeper
26-04-2007, 19:34
I'd just keep an eye open in the supermarkets for any deals that they might be doing from time to time. When they do a good deal then buy a couple of cases......:)
Yeah. I think Tesco do deals, and the local cash n carry has cases of wine. I don't think they do Jacob's Creek though.

have you looked at Virgin Wine? - they run various signing up promotions as well, giving you free wine.
Will have a look :)

Thanks Zingle for the links :)

I found Oddbins online - they do a wide range, but not Jacob's Creek. They do a nice range of single malts - it's my mum's birthday shortly, and she's a lover of the stuff :idea:

Halcyon
26-04-2007, 19:52
Tesco do deals from time to time...... It's about catching them when you see them really.

I quite like the Jacobs Creek red Shiraz. Very nice too :tu:

marky
26-04-2007, 19:56
Spam http://www.netto.co.uk/internet/nettog/menu/main.nsf
Stowells at £2.99 a bottle, try the whites and see if one tickles your fancy :)

homealone
26-04-2007, 19:57
Riesling is the grape variety, but Jacob's Creek wines, being Australian, are usually quite 'fruity' (no pun intended ;) ) & easy to drink, you would probably find a French Riesling to have less 'fruit' & more acidity, but the only way is to experiment, really :)

- I prefer Red, myself, Jacobs Creek do a lovely Cabernet Sauvignon :tu:

dilli-theclaw
26-04-2007, 19:58
What's really sad is I saw this thread and thought about linux not drink :(

marky
26-04-2007, 20:01
What's really sad is I saw this thread and thought about linux not drink :(
I'm saying nowt :erm:

Sorry Dilli :rofl:

DocDutch
26-04-2007, 20:11
I do like the Riesling of Jacobs creek especially if its nicely cooled on a warm day in the garden :)

but normally my fav red wine must be Castillero del Diablo Carmenere

greencreeper
26-04-2007, 23:20
I'm not so keen on red. Had a terrible sexual incident involving two bottles of red wine and a wicker wastepaper basket. The rug's still stained to this day. I just can't face it - red wine, not the rug. My boss opened a bottle for us when I was getting my makeup done and it was a struggle to get it down - had to sip it.

Xaccers
27-04-2007, 11:37
You should try a Dumisani (definitely deserves it's name) Ruby Cabernet Merlot, it goes down so easily :D
Asda used to do it, but now they only seem to do the Pinotage Shiraz, which is nice, but really needs something spicy to go with.
Really wishing I took advantage of the 2 for 1 offer they had on the Merlot 6 years ago *sigh*

greencreeper
28-04-2007, 01:47
Right. I've ordered a Castillero del Diablo Riesling from Oddbins - they do several different Rieslings from different parts of the world. Some are a bit pricey. I was in Tesco's just now and they've got a "Wine Festival" promotion - save £2 on a bottle of Jacob's Creek Riesling :D Plus 5% off for 6 bottles or more. So I bought 6 bottles. Should last me a couple of days, I mean months :p: I'm pretty chuffed. Put two bottles in the fridge to chill. I also got my mum a Lagavulin 16 year old malt whiskey from Oddbins - £37.99 :disturbd:

Shaun
28-04-2007, 04:09
Try a Blush if you're a fruty kind of a guy. Had a very nice blush Pino at Pizza Express tonight, can't remember the name but you may like it. :)

lauzjp
28-04-2007, 11:11
I haven't been to pizza express in aaaages, haven't had any wine in yonks either - I used to really enjoy a glass or two of a nice white wine (I'll give anything a go, especially if its on offer) in the evening, or a nice afternoon.. I don't like red. At all. The most red I've ever drunk was when John Peel died - it was my tribute! ;)

Gareth
28-04-2007, 16:48
Had a terrible sexual incident involving two bottles of red wine and a wicker wastepaper basket. What the...?!? :erm:

Personally, can't stand wine... it's for ponces, imo. Will only make an exception for champagne. Oh, and something called Retsina, I think?

I'd much rather have a few bottles of Wife Beater than any wine.

homealone
28-04-2007, 17:09
What the...?!? :erm:

Personally, can't stand wine... it's for ponces, imo. Will only make an exception for champagne. Oh, and something called Retsina, I think?

I'd much rather have a few bottles of Wife Beater than any wine.

mummy that man called me names ;) :D

- our tastes are very different, as I don't see anything special about Champagne, too bland, imo - wheras Retsina can't be described as bland, but I'm not sure if an overwhelming note of pine resin is supposed to be enjoyable ;)

I don't dislike beer (which doesn't include lager (see comment about Champagne, above ;) ), but find it bloats me up.

- each to their own, I guess :)

marky
28-04-2007, 17:50
Whats Wife Beater ? :Yikes:

gazzae
28-04-2007, 19:44
Whats Wife Beater ? :Yikes:

Stella

CycoSymz
28-04-2007, 20:58
I love a nice drop of Jacobs Creek but Wolf Blass Yellow label is a really nice drink and Blossom Hill do some really fine wines.

marky
28-04-2007, 21:05
I have done some research on wines and i come to the conclusion that they get you drunk :)
Can i have my £50,000 grant now please :D

Uncle Peter
28-04-2007, 21:38
I love a nice drop of Jacobs Creek but Wolf Blass Yellow label is a really nice drink and Blossom Hill do some really fine wines.

Tesco have the Wolf Blass yellow label Cabernet :tu: on offer for a fiver at the moment. Well they do in my local Tesco anyway.

Laithwaites are currently doing a case of the excellent Peter Lehmann 2005 Riesling (Eden Valley) for £94.99

www.laithwaites.co.uk