PDA

View Full Version : DNS Servers

AbyssUnderground
25-04-2007, 20:24
Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea when VM are going to get some DNS servers that actually work? Ive spent the best part of half my evening today trying to get sites to resolve, and the only way to do this was to repeatadly click the link I was trying to get to till it decides to connect.

I was using openDNS but I decided to give VM's a try again because when they work the respond quicker. Maybe Im better off stating with openDNS? :td:

Graham M
25-04-2007, 20:24
Nothing wrong with NTL's DNS, no problems I've come across anyway?

AbyssUnderground
25-04-2007, 20:54
Nothing wrong with NTL's DNS, no problems I've come across anyway?

You mean VM, not NTL ;)

They are always failing to resolve any domain I try to connect to, even here. Sometimes I have to click submit about 30 times before it decides to resolve. It happens on both my laptop, pc and my dads pc. Ive disconnected my router to rule that out, same problem. Speed tests seem normal and so do pings and tracert's.

Im now using openDNS DNS servers and guess what? Not a single failed lookup on the FIRST request yet. I guess its going to be another one of those little annoying faults that happens to some and not others...

Toto
25-04-2007, 20:54
I'm having no problems with VM's DNS either. All sites giving you a problem, or only some?

scrotnig
25-04-2007, 21:01
I find them to be very good...I recently moved my website to a new server, and the Virgin Media (ex NTL) DNS servers updated within two minutes.

AbyssUnderground
25-04-2007, 22:14
I'm having no problems with VM's DNS either. All sites giving you a problem, or only some?

Happens with all websites.

rikur
25-04-2007, 22:31
from what I've worked out it seems that different areas get different DNS servers - yes we all think we're going to 194.168.4.100, but actually depending where you are you get routed to a different server. I guess there's some sort of IP load balancing going on. I've not really had frequent problems, but I have seen the odd wobble, and it trying from different ntl connections at the same time you get different results from "the same" server.

Paul
25-04-2007, 22:41
Does anyone have any idea when VM are going to get some DNS servers that actually work? They already have dns servers that work. I can't remember that last time I had any problems (well over a year ago I think, when they got hit by a ddos attack).

AbyssUnderground
25-04-2007, 22:53
I remember that attack well. Nothing would load :(

Since I started using openDNS servers its been fine. Obviously their load balancing is sending me to a server thats not working properly in my area. Typical modern technology eh? :rolleyes: