PDA

View Full Version : Dire Service

Locky
25-04-2007, 14:04
any in oldham (shaw) geting absolutely dire speeds and pings, pings 800+ upload 200 kbs give or ake download no more than 2 meg impossible to game or download anything from anywere service has been ****e for a few days but this is utterlypathetic it isnt even usable, any1 else geting similar problems ?

nvm just checked the service status and it says this

On the morning of Wednesday the 25th April between midnight and 6 am, Network improvements will result in a loss of service in Hatfield, Wearside, Oxford, Charminster, Brighton, Cosham, Cambridge and the surrounding areas. Network updates in Oldham, Bromley, South London and the surrounding areas may result in a loss of service. Server updates in Renfrew, Peterbrough and the surrounding areas will result in a loss of Cable Modem provisioning.

sstainer
25-04-2007, 14:20
any in oldham (shaw) geting absolutely dire speeds and pings, pings 800+ upload 200 kbs give or ake download no more than 2 meg impossible to game or download anything from anywere service has been ****e for a few days but this is utterlypathetic it isnt even usable, any1 else geting similar problems ?

nvm just checked the service status and it says this

On the morning of Wednesday the 25th April between midnight and 6 am, Network improvements will result in a loss of service in Hatfield, Wearside, Oxford, Charminster, Brighton, Cosham, Cambridge and the surrounding areas. Network updates in Oldham, Bromley, South London and the surrounding areas may result in a loss of service. Server updates in Renfrew, Peterbrough and the surrounding areas will result in a loss of Cable Modem provisioning.

But that was for the hours of 12am to 6am service should be better now by far unknown reason behind your speed issues.

what should they Be ? lol

http://www.petri.co.il/increase_broadband_connection_speed_in_windows_xp_ 2003.htm
might help ?

Locky
25-04-2007, 19:55
it has come on all of a sudden speed been ****e over last few days and it seems since that i can not download game, it takes a while even to load the forum and / or post

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

FIXED it was the downstream snr / power levels, they reset em

gunnersboy
25-04-2007, 21:08
it has come on all of a sudden speed been ****e over last few days and it seems since that i can not download game, it takes a while even to load the forum and / or post

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

FIXED it was the downstream snr / power levels, they reset em

Can you post the levels you got at the moment and can compare with my own. Cheers

Locky
26-04-2007, 18:00
this is what i have now
downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM64 Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12increment17 Downstream Receive Power Level : -14.1 dBmV Downstream SNR : 26.7 dBupstream

Upstream Channel ID : 3 Upstream Transmit Power Level : 43.50 dBmV Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream Frequency : 36800000 Hz Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2
it appears to be the same as before however since the cs said they reset the power levels it has been fine

Horace
26-04-2007, 23:00
Downstream SNR: should be 30 dB or higher: the higher the better. As the SNR decreases below 30 dB, performance will steadily decrease, and errors will increase. The cable modem might stop working properly if the SNR drops below 23.5 dB.

Downstream Received Power: the DOCSIS specification requires cable modems to function correctly with downstream power levels in the range -15 dBmV to +15 dBmV: power readings at or close to those extremes are likely to be unacceptable. However, when connected to a real-life CATV network, a cable modem might be functional over a narrower range than this. Accordingly, cable ISPs will specify an even narrower target range when commissioning their network: this target range will differ according to ISP.

Looks like you need an engineers visit.

Locky
26-04-2007, 23:17
hmm maybe i will see what they say then tomorow, engineer visit = free ?

Sirpingalot
26-04-2007, 23:32
Mine's only around 31.3, and I'm getting full bandwidth, so it can't be that much of a problem. Most likely modem config