PDA

View Full Version : Throttling?

Sirpingalot
24-04-2007, 23:19
Hi,

Do Virgin impose throttling on heavy users of the cable service? Coming from Tiscali, who were VERY strict on even remotely heavy users, I've become very cautious of what I download.

And if so, is it after x amount of data is downloaded, or is it the amount of time spent downloading, e.g. 20 minutes?

Anything over 250mByte a day, and I'm afraid to use my connection for fear of being throttled to a much slower rate, but then, you might argue, what's the point of having the connection if you're not going to use it?

Thanks,

Michael

Paul K
24-04-2007, 23:32
You may want to do a search of the forum for traffic shaping or throttling as there are severla threads running on the subject that can answer any of the questions you asked

bw41101
24-04-2007, 23:36
Michael;

I wouldn't concern yourself about throttling (reduced bandwidth) on the cable network. In order for that to happen to you would have to download a darn sight more than 250Mb per day.

Admittedly in my area (Blackpool) throttling does go on, but it's only at certain times of the day and only on the "big" down loaders. Anyway, If you read the VM's terms and conditions it will give you an indication of what is acceptable.

You're worrying too much - there's no need, just enjoy the service ;)

Virgin Media 1 - Tiscali 0

Si thee

Rone
25-04-2007, 00:04
Giving Tiscali 0 is probably over doing it. :)

thepcwizard
25-04-2007, 00:06
Michael;

Any bb service is unpredicatable in the speeds it does. One second its 200 kbp/s the other its 10 mb/s.

dcclanuk
25-04-2007, 00:09
Tiscali make me laugh! They have a FUP where u cannot use P2P much during peak time, otherwise u get warnings. [3 and u are out!]. But ur internet barely works [about 90kbps? during peak hours], so how could they possibly give u a warning for using too much bandwith??? Its ridiculous. Since u are offered a MAC code and are allowed to leave on the 3rd warning even if u are inside the contract period, i know people that purposely hammer [lol? 50KB/s max?] their connection to get their 3 warnings and leave early!;)

Sirpingalot
25-04-2007, 00:14
Is this possible? I'm still connected. Think I have 2 warnings. BitTorrent for Tiscali!