PDA

View Full Version : Terayon TeraJet 210 and 20MB speeds

an1hony
23-04-2007, 23:47
Well out of the shadows I emerge to sign up and post, its good to join the forum at last. :)

I've been with NTL for a number of years now and my Terayon TeraJet 210 modem is still going strong here. However, I remember reading somewhere that these modems can only cope with 10MB max speeds. Therefore are people with these modems also going to be upgraded do you know when the speeds go upto 20MB?. Surely they are legally bound to upgrade these modems free of charge if they are not suitable for the service they should provide.
In addition, I remember reading when exchanges are upgraded, these modems willl also start to fail/disconnect as well, although I have not had that happen yet? Is this true.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere already, had a quick look but could not find the correct thread,

Any help appreciated,

MovedGoalPosts
23-04-2007, 23:53
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

I doubt there is a compulsion to upgrade the modem simply to get the higher speed. After all those users who get broadband via STB haven't all been changed to modems yet the best STBs can't support much more than 5-6meg, with some stuck in the dark ages of 1meg :eek:

The only reason some Terrayons were updated is that a new firmware patch was sent out, QAM256, that proved incompatible such that the modems couldn't work properly at all.

This thread had the details :http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33603266-merged-terayon-terajet-modems-becoming-obsolete.html

an1hony
23-04-2007, 23:59
Thanks for your reply Rob.

If somebody is paying for 20MB then the least they can expect is to be provided with a modem that can achieve or reach somewhere near that speed? Surely thats not being unreasonable. If the Terayon is not capable, then it should be replaced?.

valor
24-04-2007, 00:34
:welcome: to cable forum
A few of my mates still use the Terayon TeraJet 210 and are quite happy with them.
Is that the Black one that stands on end?

an1hony
24-04-2007, 01:16
:welcome: to cable forum
A few of my mates still use the Terayon TeraJet 210 and are quite happy with them.
Is that the Black one that stands on end?

Yes, thats the one

an1hony
30-04-2007, 08:22
Thanks I am very happy with it. For the past 5/6 years it has been perfect with no issues, but its had its day. Speeds are going up but this is dated technology and cant keep up now. Not sure what to do.

mmm
30-04-2007, 09:18
The TJ210 does NOT cope well with 10Mbps, I tried this for a while. It only has a 10Mbps half-duplex Ethernet port, with a lot of TCP/IP tweaking may speedtest at 7 or 8Mbps, but in normal use only runs at about 5Mbps. The only real advantage of 10Mbps connection with this modem (assuming it works at all - see other thread re QAM256 etc) is the higher upload speed.

devil
30-04-2007, 09:48
As a matter of fact terayon modems can support only up to 5 meg to 6 meg of broadband speed and in case u want to upgrade the services to 10 meg then either u can call Customer Services and get it done or u can call tech support who will book a technician for the slow speed issue and most probably your cable modem will be replaced with new ntl 250 or ntl 255..

Cheers ! ! !

an1hony
30-04-2007, 09:56
Thanks guys. I should have said that I am on 10MB already. I can get download speeds of 1.2MB/s, or could a couple of years back. Nowadays, yes, it seems to be around 600/700K if Im lucky. As for going up to 20MB this modem is clearly not going to cope with the higher speeds.

Ill give Tech Support a ring later, thanks for your help again :)

an1hony
03-05-2007, 23:41
Spoke to Technical Support today, who confirmed that this modem cannot handle speeds over 10MB. Apparently people with these and older modems should head over to www.virginmedia.com/evenfaster from the 11th May onwards where there will be instructions on how to get your modem replaced, and a new one will be sent out to us. We will need to send the old modems back in a supplied jiffy.

Dunno if that helps anyone else, but though Id share that in case it does!

JackSon
04-05-2007, 00:09
Many thanks for sharing that piece of information, an1hony, it is just what I was needing :)

mmm
19-06-2007, 17:46
Bye Bye TJ210,

Finally got rid of mine and now have a new ntl250. I thought recent disconnects were the QAM256 change, but no still on QAM64 here - signal levels were down - clear from the ntl250 web pages. The 6db attenuator behind the TJ210 was definitely not needed!

Nedkelly
19-06-2007, 18:01
Has the service improved since you had your modem changed ?:)

mmm
19-06-2007, 19:31
Too early to say, when it was working no real problem with the 4Meg service on the TJ210 but seemed to have had a number of outtages recently (only 21 resets in last month according to tech support?). The ntl250 seems a bit snappier on loading big web pages, I wonder if the speed rate cap works better or the 100 rather than 10 Meg Ethernet port - the TJ210 seemed to insert 1 second pauses in downloading - but can't find that same test anymore that used to report this. Maybe just my imagination... looking for something to justify.

Oh and credit where credit due - was the best experience ever with very knowledgeable UK tech support in swapping modem. THANKS

Hom3r
19-06-2007, 19:39
I could only get 4.5Mb on my TJ210, I had my modem swapped for a new NTL:250 and I could get 10Mb straight away.

Nedkelly
19-06-2007, 20:02
Dont see many tjets now but i always change them when i see one :)

rockabillybass
19-06-2007, 20:11
I've got a Terayon. Still works great on 4 meg. Had it years now. It's got sentimental value! :)

Chalky
20-06-2007, 11:56
I had a TJ210, from the days where you could buy your cable modem, and after many intermittent faults an Engineer swapped mine for 250. I have noticed an improvement in stability. With the TJ I used to get timeouts every night, now I can count the timeouts on one hand since it's been swapped. That was months ago. A clear improvement.
Speed wise - Still seems the same as I'm on 4 meg service. At least I know I'm ok for any future speed increases though.

zerolight
20-06-2007, 14:15
Spoke to Technical Support today, who confirmed that this modem cannot handle speeds over 10MB. Apparently people with these and older modems should head over to www.virginmedia.com/evenfaster from the 11th May onwards where there will be instructions on how to get your modem replaced, and a new one will be sent out to us. We will need to send the old modems back in a supplied jiffy.

Dunno if that helps anyone else, but though Id share that in case it does!

Cheers for that. Just filled in the wizard and they're going to ship me a free replacement. :)

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:11 ----------

Too early to say, when it was working no real problem with the 4Meg service on the TJ210 but seemed to have had a number of outtages recently (only 21 resets in last month according to tech support?). The ntl250 seems a bit snappier on loading big web pages, I wonder if the speed rate cap works better or the 100 rather than 10 Meg Ethernet port - the TJ210 seemed to insert 1 second pauses in downloading - but can't find that same test anymore that used to report this. Maybe just my imagination... looking for something to justify.

Oh and credit where credit due - was the best experience ever with very knowledgeable UK tech support in swapping modem. THANKS

How long did they take to ship the new modem?