PDA

View Full Version : Requesting newsgroups to be added?

deek72
23-04-2007, 00:20
Is there a procedure for asking Virgin to carry a specific newsgroup on their servers, and has anyone asked with any success?
I notice they carry alt.binaries.games.xbox but would like them to carry alt.binaries.games.xbox360.
Any advice?
Cheers.

Paul H
23-04-2007, 00:22
They won't add any new binary groups to the server. they haven't done for about 4 or 5 years now.

deek72
23-04-2007, 00:37
Thanks Paul. Shame that. Looks like I'm still going to the local market then!

Paul H
23-04-2007, 00:46

:D

The binary server isn't much use anyway with 3 days retention and big incompletes. others use a dedicated server like astraweb. usenetmonster. giganews. usenet-news.net.

Hex
23-04-2007, 01:55
:D

The binary server isn't much use anyway with 3 days retention and big incompletes. others use a dedicated server like astraweb. usenetmonster. giganews. usenet-news.net.

I don't know where you got 3 days from? I've pulled down binaries 7+ days after their appearance. And to be fair, a weeks retention is reasonable considering its a free service.

But in reply to the OP NTL/VM are more likely to cut more groups than add, in the same way they took away alt.binaries.boneless, tho last I heard ex-Telewest still have access to that one :(

zing_deleted
23-04-2007, 07:06

so you would rather do the car boot thing than subscribe to a good news provider??????? By the time you lined the pockets of some scamp in one afternoon could prob afford you an unlimited service from a premium provider. The best is Giganews but its also the dearest

Paul H
23-04-2007, 09:57
I don't know where you got 3 days from? I've pulled down binaries 7+ days after their appearance. And to be fair, a weeks retention is reasonable considering its a free service

Virgin support
The last we heard was around 3 days, however that was a while back so with the growth it will have dropped a little more

Usenet Guru
Currently retention seems to be about 2½ days.

Gareth
23-04-2007, 10:22
Blimey, you've really got something against NTL, haven't you? What's the reason behind this hatred towards them? Are you a disgruntled ex-employee, or did you fail an interview with them or something?

As for the OP, I've got no idea what processes are in place, because I subscribe to a Usenet provider. As already said, Giganews is the best but most expensive, but even with them, you can have the 25Gb service for $13 p/month which is only about £7 in real money. Much better to pay them than to pay some scrote at a car boot sale who is just using newsgroups himself anyway.

mjeff2k
23-04-2007, 10:24
That`s wrong. Retention is ten days and has been for a long time (I`m assuming that everyone on VM has access to the NTL servers by now?) The 3 day retention was (according to the people complaining on the VM feedback newsgroup a while back) was what the BY people were getting.

Paul H
23-04-2007, 10:30
Blimey, you've really got something against NTL, haven't you? What's the reason behind this hatred towards them? Are you a disgruntled ex-employee, or did you fail an interview with them or something?

Excuse me? I'm quoting what was said in the support groups, and you accuse me of having hatred? is everyone on drugs now?! :td:

As for the OP, I've got no idea what processes are in place, because I subscribe to a Usenet provider.

So you don't know?

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 ----------

That`s wrong. Retention is ten days and has been for a long time (I`m assuming that everyone on VM has access to the NTL servers by now?) The 3 day retention was (according to the people complaining on the VM feedback newsgroup a while back) was what the BY people were getting.

Ok you're right and support and the users are wrong. fair enough.

RXP
23-04-2007, 10:44
UNS is better value for money than GigaNews, half the price for 18 days less retention.

mjeff2k
23-04-2007, 10:53
Ok you're right and support and the users are wrong. fair enough.[/quote]

Most of the people on support wouldn`t know what Usenet and Newsgroups are let alone what retentions is. I read the support groups and NTL users do not say that retention is 3 days. If you want to confirm what I say go to the feedback group and ask Alex Brown. He was the one who used to pass on complaints to Highwinds late last year and early this year when there were lots of completion problems.

Anyway, just thought I`d do a quick double check (things could have changed recently:-)) and you can still d/l binaries from the 15th.

Brainfish
23-04-2007, 11:54
Do ex-TW have access to the NTL servers now?

If so what's the address?

Ta

mjeff2k
23-04-2007, 12:10
Ta

Not sure. Give it a try - news.ntlworld.com

deek72
23-04-2007, 12:35
so you would rather do the car boot thing than subscribe to a good news provider??????? By the time you lined the pockets of some scamp in one afternoon could prob afford you an unlimited service from a premium provider. The best is Giganews but its also the dearest

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I've only just got pc after 2 year gap. Used to use Usenetserver, and after early problems they became really quite reliable.

Brainfish
24-04-2007, 09:23
Not sure. Give it a try - news.ntlworld.com

502 - Permission Denied :(

Richy99
24-04-2007, 11:00

Ta

no you cant access ntl if you are ex tw and vice versa