She was given a date of I believe of May 15th (job no. 1193066) for
remedial work to be carried out.

Now she has a problem whereby calls are being generated without her
using the house phone to "Emergency Services", this evening she has
had phone calls from the police asking why she is contacting Emergency
Services and what is the problem!

She has had to explain that she has not made any calls to the
emergency services and they have given her a "Police incident" number
and asked her to contact VirginMedia services as a matter of priority.
Today the police have received 3 emergency calls traced to her phone,
they say that they have to respond to these calls.

Tonight she has spent over 40-minutes trying to contact the
VirginMedia call-centre before her call was picked up by the Indian
call-centre, after explaining the situation she was told that there
was nothing they could do!

She has since been back in contact with the Police to explain what the
situation is and they are not best pleased with VirginMedia.

Paul K
22-04-2007, 22:03
Is this your sister or just another unsubstantiated thread?

Paul H
22-04-2007, 22:05
Is this your sister or just another unsubstantiated thread?

You're so rude and insensitive.

Stuart
22-04-2007, 22:06
It's a valid question...

Paul K
22-04-2007, 22:07
You're so rude and insensitive.

And you are evasive, answer the question that everyone else is thinking.

jcw00
22-04-2007, 22:09
My brother-in-law had the same problem 2 years ago with NTL. An NTL engineer disconnected his line as he was on holiday.

Paul H
22-04-2007, 22:16
It's a valid question...

It's not my sister. and it's not ubsubstantiated.

---------- Post added at 22:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------

And you are evasive, answer the question that everyone else is thinking.

Why does everyone think it's my sister for? :confused:
I see it now. my sister

---------- Post added at 22:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

My brother-in-law had the same problem 2 years ago with NTL. An NTL engineer disconnected his line as he was on holiday.

Did they come out any faster than a pizza delivery? :)

Hugh
22-04-2007, 22:20
Do you have a link to your "quote"?

Paul H
22-04-2007, 22:23
Do you have a link to your "quote"?

Yep. (news:icgn2354v0bt51bqaqmsee87a0a56es80e@4ax.com)

:)

punky
22-04-2007, 22:24
I don't know about this case obviously, but this sort of thing is well documented.

SnoopZ
22-04-2007, 22:25
Yep. (news:icgn2354v0bt51bqaqmsee87a0a56es80e@4ax.com)

:)

That link tries to fireup Outlook Express in Firefox and in Opera it want's me to make an account.

Paul H
22-04-2007, 22:27
That link tries to fireup Outlook Express it Firefox and in Opera it want's me to make an account.

It's a usenet posting in virginmedia.feedback.

Marge
22-04-2007, 23:44
Wish I had a pound for every time I'd heard of this happening, hardly breaking news....... Paul, I think you need to go and see your GP and see if he/she can help with your VM OCD :D

Paul H
22-04-2007, 23:48
Wish I had a pound for every time I'd heard of this happening, hardly breaking news....... Paul, I think you need to go and see your GP and see if he/she can help with your VM OCD :D

What is OCD please?

cimt
23-04-2007, 00:25
What is OCD please?

"Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)"

How long was it going on for? Do you know?

Paul H
23-04-2007, 00:31
"Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)"

Thanks.

How long was it going on for? Do you know?

Not long. I think it's the first time she's done it. I get used to being abused on here as much as I do here now :confused:

AndrewJ
23-04-2007, 09:27
If you hate VM so much why do you have their logo for an avatar :S

zing_deleted
23-04-2007, 09:32
Thanks.

Not long. I think it's the first time she's done it. I get used to being abused on here as much as I do here now :confused:

its your attitude mate and the way you treat others look back at some of your posts aimed at other members you poor hard done to soul you

Paul H
23-04-2007, 09:49
If you hate VM so much why do you have their logo for an avatar :S

I do not hate VM. just because my posts are not what you want to hear it doesn't mean I hate them. hate is a strong word. I don't hate anyone.

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

its your attitude mate and the way you treat others look back at some of your posts aimed at other members you poor hard done to soul you

Oh behave. look back at your own posts aimed at one member. non stop one after the other.

xspeedyx
23-04-2007, 10:02
I think we should think okay ur sister had a problem but does she want you to broadcast to everyone mate.
As for ur dislike to vm why talk bout them so much

Paul H
23-04-2007, 10:07
I think we should think okay ur sister had a problem but does she want you to broadcast to everyone mate.

It was not my sister. I had one sister she is dead.
I don't know why you missed the part where I've already explained the source of the quote.

As for ur dislike to vm why talk bout them so much

I just looked at what forum I was in. yep a forum about Virgin media. I could post off topic and talk about Tiscali if you want? :rolleyes:

Rapid Dr3am
23-04-2007, 11:35
If you have this fault, we manually datafill the line to disc it.

Derek
23-04-2007, 16:50
Back on topic and enough of the digs

This kind of thing happens quite often with BT and VM phonelines. The Police have to respond to all 999 calls but can reduce the priority if there are multiple false calls from one number.

papa smurf
23-04-2007, 17:19
this is a common problem caused by water ingress ,either the copper cable feeding the cab is wet or a joint in the system is wet,[can allso be caused by wet cross connect modules]which is the most common cause of this fault .fluctuating voltages simulate number dialing

Arch Stanton
23-04-2007, 19:28
The fault is simulating someone dialling 112. As said previously this is a common problem. Unfortunately I don't have an "in" at faults these days.

on in an hour!
24-04-2007, 12:26
The fault is simulating someone dialling 112. As said previously this is a common problem. Unfortunately I don't have an "in" at faults these days.
quite correct arch,most of the ones i go to the call centre have actually called the switch and removed the datafill so as it cant keep generating these calls until such time as the tech can visit.

NTLVictim
24-04-2007, 12:45
Datafill?

on in an hour!
24-04-2007, 13:05
Datafill?
the stuff on the switch that generates your line No and features etc.basically they take the live off the system till prob sorted,tech then rings our telco provisioning and routing dept and gets said info put back on to switch.;)

NTLVictim
25-04-2007, 08:12
the stuff on the switch that generates your line No and features etc.basically they take the live off the system till prob sorted,tech then rings our telco provisioning and routing dept and gets said info put back on to switch.;)

Ah, thanks..what an old git like me would call "flashing the firmware":)

colin-bennett
25-04-2007, 10:39
Strange thread.....

arcamalpha2004
25-04-2007, 10:55
Strange thread.....

Nothing strange about it ;) poor maintenance leading to police resources being diverted to none emergency situations.

Stuart
25-04-2007, 11:25
Nothing strange about it ;) poor maintenance leading to police resources being diverted to none emergency situations.

Which of course, never occurs with BT... :rolleyes:

Paul H
25-04-2007, 11:33

:LOL:

arcamalpha2004
25-04-2007, 11:37

Did I say otherwise? no I did not, but given that the original post was regarding a vm customer! :erm:

iSteve
25-04-2007, 13:21
As others have said, this sort of problem is well documented. Just think how pulse dialing works: tap the flash hook. One click, another click, followed by two clicks. Quite easy to imagine this sort of thing happening on a faulty line. I believe this is how the fault occurs. Simply put, 112 is not a very smart choice for an emergency service :rolleyes:

I occasionally heard about this sort of thing happening to NTL customers, and I believe I remember a few BT techs mentioning it at a CWU branch meeting once also. It's one of those "rare, but common" problems ;)

It is a very serious and sensitive issue though so I'm not surprised that techs would temporarily disconnect such a line: false emergency calls could cause confusion and put lives at risk. Can any techs confirm if these kind of faults get can/should get priority treatment? Can you recommend any way the customer can escalate this to the best people and get it sorted quickly?

Nedkelly
25-04-2007, 13:55
:) Any line doing this is disconected to stop it until a tech can get to the line to check it for a fault the police can get the phone company to do this as papasmurf said it can be caused by a no of things .It is qiute rare but we do try to get to these as soon as possible :tu:

Arch Stanton
25-04-2007, 17:57
As others have said, this sort of problem is well documented. Just think how pulse dialing works: tap the flash hook. One click, another click, followed by two clicks. Quite easy to imagine this sort of thing happening on a faulty line. I believe this is how the fault occurs. Simply put, 112 is not a very smart choice for an emergency service :rolleyes:

I occasionally heard about this sort of thing happening to NTL customers, and I believe I remember a few BT techs mentioning it at a CWU branch meeting once also. It's one of those "rare, but common" problems ;)

It is a very serious and sensitive issue though so I'm not surprised that techs would temporarily disconnect such a line: false emergency calls could cause confusion and put lives at risk. Can any techs confirm if these kind of faults get can/should get priority treatment? Can you recommend any way the customer can escalate this to the best people and get it sorted quickly?

It should be possible to configure the line to receive only MF tone dialling and "switch off" the reception of LD dialling. Simple switch config.