PDA

View Full Version : I am a complete novice and need advice. Please help me.

gargoyle_user
16-04-2007, 17:16
Hello.

I am looking at having virgin media internet installed in my parents house. We live in a terrace house and my bedroom is upstairs facing back into the garden. I have some questions:

Where will the wires go? I want to set it up so as much is wireless as possible. Will they drill through the front wall of the house? I am hoping to minimise drilling, would it be possible to drill just through front wall into the ground floor room facing outside? Then I could wirelessly have my internet sent up to my bedroom from that ground floor room?

Also how good are the installation guys? Tech wise I know very little and will be at their complete mercy? Are they generally any good? Finally, can anyone estimate how long the whole procedure will take?

I apologise in advance if these are common question, I have had a look around this site and still don't have the answers to these questions so I would really appreciate it if anybody could please help me. Thanks very much.

zing_deleted
16-04-2007, 17:18
if you want to go wireless have the install all done into one room . Purchase a wireless router or a set of homeplugs and a wired router and have no extra cabling other than required for tv and modem install
The homeplug would take away the possabilty of a poor wireless link as it uses your mains as a network the router plugs into one and any network device plugs into another

edit:- if your having a second stb you have little choice than have a connection upstairs and a connecting cable to your room

gargoyle_user
16-04-2007, 17:20
Ok thanks for replying. When you say have it all installed in one room, does that have to be in my bedroom or it okay to have it in a separate room downstairs? I would much prefer to have it all installed in the downstairs room to minimise drilling of the house. I am only having internet btw no tv or phone services - hopefully that will help me!

zing_deleted
16-04-2007, 17:22
yes then that will be fine remember if you go wireless router you need a wireless adapter in your pc if you go with homeplug you need ethernet