PDA

View Full Version : IP now changeable on ntl/Virgin

Zee
15-04-2007, 18:49
It seems you're now able to change your IP address, i never could before.

Is anyone else able to change their IP an are on the ex-ntl/telewest networks?

I've had 3 different IPs in the last 24 hours.

cimt
15-04-2007, 18:50
I usually already have 2 default ones. One is usually owned by Google and the other VM. Is that what you mean? Or do you mean changing it yourself?

Zee
15-04-2007, 18:52
I usually already have 2 default ones. One is usually owned by Google and the other VM. Is that what you mean? Or do you mean changing it yourself?

Changing it myself...

i've had 3 different IPs, and if i changed it again, i'll prob have a different one.

SnoopZ
15-04-2007, 19:57
I've always been able to change mine by releasing my IP and unplugging the modem for 24hrs and it always works. It hasn't changed by itself for a year or so though.

Stuart
15-04-2007, 20:07
AFAIK, Virgin haven't changed how IPs were allocated. When I was a member, if you wanted a new IP, you unplugged the modem then plugged it back in again. When you plugged it back in, your Modem requested a new IP. If the old one was still available, you got the old one back. If it wasn't, you got a new one.

Bill C
15-04-2007, 20:39
I've always been able to change mine by releasing my IP and unplugging the modem for 24hrs and it always works. It hasn't changed by itself for a year or so though.

I just change the mac address of the router attached to the modem in the clone a mac section, That will then force a ip change and always has. Does it instantly as well :)

SnoopZ
15-04-2007, 22:31
I just change the mac address of the router attached to the modem in the clone a mac section, That will then force a ip change and always has. Does it instantly as well :)

That's useful to know. :)

Graham M
15-04-2007, 23:27
Mine's not changed yet and I'm hoping it doesn't as it's useful to have a semi-static IP sometimes :)

janipewter
16-04-2007, 01:03

That's the method I've always used too, good because it takes effect instantly.

nffc
16-04-2007, 01:08
That's the method I've always used too, good because it takes effect instantly.

When i tried that, it crashed and the router couldn't get an IP at all. Oh and yeah I did power cycle.

janipewter
16-04-2007, 08:47
Did you do it in the following order:

change router MAC
power cycle router; wait 15 seconds and then
power cycle modem; wait 30 seconds and then
power cycle router again

SOSAGES
16-04-2007, 10:09
the wonders of dhcp have blessed me with 2 IP's in 7 (i think its 7) years with NTL and thats at 2 different properties
i hope my ip dosnt change it means i would have to edit my RD shortcut

nffc
17-04-2007, 00:53
Did you do it in the following order:

change router MAC
power cycle router; wait 15 seconds and then
power cycle modem; wait 30 seconds and then
power cycle router again
Do I look like that much of a n00b? :rolleyes:

peanut
17-04-2007, 00:58
Do I look like that much of a n00b? :rolleyes:

You look like a bit of text and a picture of a Vista case. :rolleyes:
What a stupid thing to say, I just hope I don't have to help you out anytime soon.

nffc
17-04-2007, 01:22
You look like a bit of text and a picture of a Vista case. :rolleyes:
What a stupid thing to say, I just hope I don't have to help you out anytime soon.
I wasn't being entirely serious... hence using the rolleyes which can mean sarcastic as well :D

Lighten up. :)