PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand!

motefarm
14-04-2007, 14:52
Hello all
I'm very new to all technology and to this site. This appears a really good site with lots of people who know all about everything ,I wonder if you could please help me. I just bought a new house with the wow factor of cable and a plasma screen included in the price. When I got the keys they showed me lots of wires hanging out of the wall and said that they had had a dvd playing on the screen and that I would be able to put up my computer screen on the plasma and all I had to do was buy a package from VM and I'd be away. The guy next door was in before me and had booked an engineer to come and install . When he came he muttered something about there only being one duct and as we are a terrace of 4 houses that the pavement would have to be ripped up and a 4 way spur put in. Should the builder have done this? Also as we all get on as neighbours could we all share the cost of one installation to one house and then run lines to the other houses? Sorry to be so ignorant - before this I just had the 4 channels and a 1970s tv.
Mandy:confused:

valor
14-04-2007, 15:23
Hello motefarm and welcome.
You should be talking to your solicitor. If this was included in the price I would imagine it should documented. See the solicitor who arranged your purchase and Ask..NO!! "tell" him/her to sort it out.

popper
14-04-2007, 15:47
Hello all
I'm very new to all technology and to this site. This appears a really good site with lots of people who know all about everything ,I wonder if you could please help me.

I just bought a new house with the wow factor of cable and a plasma screen included in the price.

When I got the keys they showed me lots of wires hanging out of the wall and said that they had had a dvd playing on the screen and that I would be able to put up my computer screen on the plasma and all I had to do was buy a package from VM and I'd be away.

The guy next door was in before me and had booked an engineer to come and install .

When he came he muttered something about there only being one duct and as we are a terrace of 4 houses that the pavement would have to be ripped up and a 4 way spur put in.

Should the builder have done this? Also as we all get on as neighbours could we all share the cost of one installation to one house and then run lines to the other houses? Sorry to be so ignorant - before this I just had the 4 channels and a 1970s tv.
Mandy:confused:

:welcome:

i think valor's post is the right way to go.
the http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/ is also a very good site for UK law and advice on many things including house related problems to get you started and explaining things ,even if you do end up getting lagal representation.

you say "the wow factor of cable and a plasma screen included in the price." did you get the plasma included and is it there now, does it have the right connections to plug the PC into it as they said?,

you might if your so inclind also ask your solicitor if you might be in a position to have them pay for a computer and plasma A/V engineer to advise you on this too to get the work done and the right kit if its not already installed.

motefarm
14-04-2007, 18:06
Thanks for the replies. I seem to remember something in the contract saying that the builder has the right to change the spec if he wants. Technically he has provided a plasma screen, it didn't say anywhere that it should be connected! There are masses of wires all coming out of a tube and all with connectors on except for the speakers ones which apparently can vary on different boxes, so all the stuff is there in the house I think. My neighbour approached the builder who just said it wasn't up to him and gave him VMs number. I will talk to him Monday, but I think I read somewhere that consumer protection doesn't apply to houses. The warrenties are just to do with the structure. To go back to my origional questions - does anybody have any idea what should happen underground outside the house and where our wires should meet up with the main cable in the street?
Cheers
Mandy:)

valor
14-04-2007, 20:23
If there are masses of wires ..they should be connected to something and not just left dangling.
It seems to me the builder has has an obligation to do something, you have paid for it!!!... nobody supplies something that is left up in the air..Again this is a problem to be discussed with your solicitor, sooner rather than later.

martin42h
14-04-2007, 20:30
There would normally be an above-ground junction box somewhere along the road which connects to the main feeder cable, with cables then branching out to a small below ground box outside each property accessed by a metal flap. This is normally marked 'ntl', etc. (mine is marked Cabletel 'cos its that old). The installation engineer then takes a cable from here into the house although in your case sounds like this should have already been done. Hope that helps.

motefarm
15-04-2007, 18:27
Thanks Martin
I just had a look and each house has a little plate outside with CATV on them and some bits of string hanging out. Also there is a little white box with knobs on on the wall outside each house ( which of course could be electrics or something). I don't seem to be able to find a box in the road though. What colour will it be? Also I should explain that the houses were built in the back gardens of others so they're not right on the road, there's an alley off the road to get to them.
Mandy

papasmurf
18-04-2007, 13:16
Street cab is usually green and about 3 1/2 ft high.

normanh
02-05-2007, 17:15
Thanks Martin
I just had a look and each house has a little plate outside with CATV on them and some bits of string hanging out. Also there is a little white box with knobs on on the wall outside each house ( which of course could be electrics or something). I don't seem to be able to find a box in the road though. What colour will it be? Also I should explain that the houses were built in the back gardens of others so they're not right on the road, there's an alley off the road to get to them.
Mandy
hi m8 the string is there for the cable to be attached to in order to pull the cable through .hope this helps
normanh