PDA

View Full Version : internet from stb and want V+

axlgnr
10-04-2007, 23:54
hello I'm thinking about getting V+ and moving the current stb to another room because of the deal they have, at the moment ive got everything all in my room(internet,cable tv)but my internet connection comes from the stb so will I have to get a modem? sorry if I seem thick, I do try to pick up on all this stuff but I get left behind. If someone could explain or link me to some decent info about what to do id be really greatful!

sstainer
11-04-2007, 00:00
i would think so, be easier using a sacm [modem] also the engineer will most likely fit the sacm for you and move the stb

BossyBoobs
11-04-2007, 00:52
u will need a sacm (stand alone cable modem) as the ethernet port on the v+box's are disabled during production but the new modems they have now are tiny little black things about 5 inches by 3 and 1 inch high so it wont be too much in the way

cornman
11-04-2007, 11:15
u will need a sacm (stand alone cable modem) as the ethernet port on the v+box's are disabled during production but the new modems they have now are tiny little black things about 5 inches by 3 and 1 inch high so it wont be too much in the way

Hope you don't mind if I jump in on this thread, axlgnr, but I was about to post a similar thread and thought I'd ask here instead.

Can someone please let me know what the process is when they fit a cable modem?

I'm having one fitting tomorrow to swtich from STB 1mb to SACM 10mb. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but will they need to fit new cables, or just hook the SACM to the existing wires going to my STB?

Thanks in advance. :)

Stuart
11-04-2007, 11:21
u will need a sacm (stand alone cable modem) as the ethernet port on the v+box's are disabled during production

Actually, AFAIK, they are disabled by the Virgin software. I've been told the box still responds to pings sent via that port, which suggests the port is actually active, but the software doesn't enable communication.

Doesn't matter though. The outcome is the same. V+ does not support Broadband.

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

Hope you don't mind if I jump in on this thread, axlgnr, but I was about to post a similar thread and thought I'd ask here instead.

Can someone please let me know what the process is when they fit a cable modem?

I'm having one fitting tomorrow to swtich from STB 1mb to SACM 10mb. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but will they need to fit new cables, or just hook the SACM to the existing wires going to my STB?

Thanks in advance. :)

They will fit a splitter either to the back of the STB (as they did with mine), or to the socket where the cable comes in. They will then run cable from this splitter to the SACM.

cornman
11-04-2007, 11:38
They will fit a splitter either to the back of the STB (as they did with mine), or to the socket where the cable comes in. They will then run cable from this splitter to the SACM.

Ah, that's great then.

I was thinking I might have to move stuff around so they can get to the wall (they're fitting it in a bedroom and there's now a bed by the wall where the cable comes through the wall, so it might be a hassle if they wanted to redrill and add new cables).

Hopefully they'll add a splitter to the STB then.

Thanks for the reply! :)

sherer
11-04-2007, 11:54
i'm going through the same process on Friday.. getting rid of Samsung and putting in a V+ box and SACM

doI need to install any drivers or anything on the PC end of things ? Will the connection still just work straight away ?

sixfoottwo
11-04-2007, 23:33
V+ installed 2 weeks ago. The modem is small and sits on the bottom shelf of my ts stand and is unseen. I was given an instalation disc, but I did not test my connection before I installed. My highest tested download speed is 9.2 Mbps, but others have been below 4.

I am currently downloading updated creative drivers size 60MB. At 10Mbps, this should take 48 secs, but it will be over 10 mins!!!!

wonkey-donkey
12-04-2007, 16:35
Originally Posted by BossyBoobs
u will need a sacm (stand alone cable modem) as the ethernet port on the v+box's are disabled during production

Actually you can run a wireless router from your V+ box, i know because mine works fine. Only because i couldnt be bothered to reinstall software for 3 computers, i will fit SACM when i get chance, but as its working fine at the moment i aint gonna play with it just yet :D

Deny everything, admit to nothing, listen to you heart. W-D