PDA

View Full Version : omnibox query

chipuk
10-04-2007, 13:01
I am new to the forum, :) hi everybody
over the weekend i had a shed moved, then you guessed it my cable modem stopped working, no problem it will be back by the morning.
next day the ball dropped.

between the fence and shed is about 24 inches of space with the omnibox installed at ground level. It must have taken a knock when the base was installed. The phone lines still work so I need to check the connectors to see what has happened.

Can anybody give me some advise as to how the cable modem will be connected inside and what i can check for. is it just an rg58 plug male and female?

(i will also need to take four or five panels off the fence to make room as i dont fit in the space, trust me i tried)

Thanks for any help

Digi Tel
11-04-2007, 01:13
Inside the omnibox will be a connector to connect your cable modem to the drop cable. If the omnibox is in one piece, then it is very unlikely that you have damaged this.

It is much more likely that you have damaged the co-ax along the wall or under the ground. Check the visible co-ax along the wall for sign of damage. If that looks OK, check the drop cable as it makes its way underground as it leaves the omnibox. It will only be laid a few inches underground. The phone still works because although it is attached, it is a separate cable.

Graham M
11-04-2007, 01:19
Inside the omnibox will be a connector to connect your cable modem to the drop cable. If the omnibox is in one piece, then it is very unlikely that you have damaged this.

It is much more likely that you have damaged the co-ax along the wall or under the ground. Check the visible co-ax along the wall for sign of damage. If that looks OK, check the drop cable as it makes its way underground as it leaves the omnibox. It will only be laid a few inches underground. The phone still works because although it is attached, it is a separate cable.

The Coax ought to be laid a lot deeper than a Couple of Inches really

Digi Tel
11-04-2007, 01:27
The Coax ought to be laid a lot deeper than a Couple of Inches really
Yes, that's why I said a few inches and not a couple of inches (your expression, not mine). ;)

I am just making a suggestion to the OP who is talking about "bases" and "fences" and "moving sheds". If there has been any spade work going on, I would place this as favourite. Certainly more likely than something happening inside a covered, undamaged Omnibox.

chipuk
11-04-2007, 12:45
Thanks for the replies,

sounds logical, but it was more raking over the ground with the base laid on timbers sleepers ,so no digging down, but you never know.
how is it connected within the box ( is omnibox just a posh word for an outside service box?)

would they have put the drop cable in trunking? i can see the main green box about 25 metres away.