PDA

View Full Version : Browsing on Virgin BB

MJB
10-04-2007, 11:34
I know there are others having connection problems, but this is driving me mad!

For quite a while now my browsing on the internet has been very slow. Some pages are taking minutes to load or not loading at all. I've tried proxy servers but to no use..... Email is fine though, so it's not a connection problem.

All over Easter its been awful during the day, but better at night. This morning all was fine until 9 am and since then I've hardly been able to load any web pages.

I'm loathed to call Virgin as I reckon they'll just fob me off or say "We'll have to send an Engineer". There's nought wrong my end so that would be pointless. I'm in the Oxford area so is there anyone else out there with the same issues?

Nikesh
10-04-2007, 11:37
Internet here in Leicester has been fine. :) :tu:

BTW the proxy servers are being turned off by Virgin Media.

Chris Davo
10-04-2007, 12:38
Same has been happening to me, sometimes its normal speed then other times it takes ages to load.

pmdelany
10-04-2007, 13:27
I'm loathed to call Virgin as I reckon they'll just fob me off or say "We'll have to send an Engineer". There's nought wrong my end so that would be pointless. I'm in the Oxford area so is there anyone else out there with the same issues?

Yep me, I'm in Abingdon. Like you there's no problem at night time and I had no problem all winter. I'm sure it's related to the heat on the green distribution box, the sun get's round to it around 1000-1030 and that's when my problem starts.

MJB
12-04-2007, 23:05
Yep me, I'm in Abingdon. Like you there's no problem at night time and I had no problem all winter. I'm sure it's related to the heat on the green distribution box, the sun get's round to it around 1000-1030 and that's when my problem starts.

Interesting thought. I finally bit the bullet and called Tech Support. Glad it was free as I was on there for 62 minutes. And guess what happened? I was asked "Are you using a router?".
"Yes" I reply.
"Ah, that will be the problem sir" came the reply.
"Why do you always say that? I've used the same set up for over THREE years with hardly any problems, it can't be my router".
"Well would you please unplug it for me?".
I did and to my absolute delight me connection ceased up completely! She kept going off to do this test, that test and all the time I was saying "Nothing's happening, no pages are loading".

Finally it was "There must be a fault with your modem , we will send out an Engineer".

So he's coming Monday to look at my modem that works perfectly during the evening and night (with MY ROUTER), but grinds to a halt during the day. Very moody modem I have I think! And waht could he possibly achieve. The long and the short is that they have a problem they are unwilling to admit too.....

SnoopZ
12-04-2007, 23:39
Interesting thought. I finally bit the bullet and called Tech Support. Glad it was free as I was on there for 62 minutes. And guess what happened? I was asked "Are you using a router?".
"Yes" I reply.
"Ah, that will be the problem sir" came the reply.
"Why do you always say that? I've used the same set up for over THREE years with hardly any problems, it can't be my router".
"Well would you please unplug it for me?".
I did and to my absolute delight me connection ceased up completely! She kept going off to do this test, that test and all the time I was saying "Nothing's happening, no pages are loading".

Finally it was "There must be a fault with your modem , we will send out an Engineer".

So he's coming Monday to look at my modem that works perfectly during the evening and night (with MY ROUTER), but grinds to a halt during the day. Very moody modem I have I think! And waht could he possibly achieve. The long and the short is that they have a problem they are unwilling to admit too.....

You did reboot the modem and maybe the computer?

AntiSilence
12-04-2007, 23:41

Are they?

MJB
13-04-2007, 00:07
You did reboot the modem and maybe the computer?

Oh she made me do EVERYTHING!!! And the funny thing was, once I'd got off the phone, plugged back in my router and re-booted I got a good connection with quick browsing :confused:

Richy99
14-04-2007, 10:18
Oh she made me do EVERYTHING!!! And the funny thing was, once I'd got off the phone, plugged back in my router and re-booted I got a good connection with quick browsing :confused:

sounds like your router needed rebooting along wiht the mode, sometimes these things do happen and need to be done

Nikesh
14-04-2007, 10:54
Are they?

Yep I think so. :)

Virgin Media are now in the process of decommissioning all of the ex-ntl: proxy servers. This means any users who have specified a proxy server from this page may find they are unable to access websites in the near future. If you do choose to specify a proxy server from this page, please make sure you are familiar with how to remove/disable a proxy server in case you do loose access.

Link (http://ben.cheetham.me.uk/resources/net/ntl-proxy-list)

AntiSilence
14-04-2007, 20:40
Yep I think so. :)

Link (http://ben.cheetham.me.uk/resources/net/ntl-proxy-list)

Nice :):tu:

djchapple
14-04-2007, 22:03
Being both old and network illiterate I have no idea why anybody should use a proxy server or what they do.

Can anyone give me simple (less than 5 sides of A4 paper!) explanation?

US.M@JORHAZZARD
14-04-2007, 22:06
A Proxy Server = WebCache is that brief enough :)

homealone
14-04-2007, 22:17
Being both old and network illiterate I have no idea why anybody should use a proxy server or what they do.

as chip said ^ it is a cache

you ask for a page, the proxy is searched, if a copy of the page is held on the proxy server, you get the copy.

That should be faster for you, and cheaper for VM, because the page request is handled within the internal network...

Chris W
14-04-2007, 22:20

You don't use one so you don't have to worry :)

they are servers that are used to store copies of web pages so that (in theory) browsing to them is faster. Instead of having to go all the way to the original site, the data can be fetched from the proxy server instead.

However, Virgins/ ntl's proxy servers were notoriously problematic, hence probably, VMs decision to decommission them.

m8internet
14-04-2007, 23:09
I'm getting this all the time now, slowly been getting worse over the last 5 to 7 days
Some websites I use are fine all day, like bbc.co.uk and yahoo.com
However, others just seem to be like a badly tuned engine; one minute online, next cannot find

I can't find any pattern either

Chris Edwards
15-04-2007, 13:02

Yep. I'm in Glasgow (canniesburn area) and the redirection of web traffic thru transparent proxy caches stopped sometime on April 12th.