PDA

View Full Version : The perfect omelette

bopdude
10-04-2007, 02:43
In reply to the bacon buttie thread, what's your perfect omelette and how do you cook it.

First off, what's your definition of an omelette ? is it folded in the pan ? or is it flat, like a pancake ?

I cook mine either way, preferring the latter ' flat ' style, and this is mine.

Ingredients ........................... whatever you want ;)

Mine,
4 eggs
Mushrooms > sliced
Onions > sliced
Ham > sliced / cubed
Peppers .... optional
Cheese > sliced

To cook

In extra virgin oil ( of course ) lightly cook your ingredients, whilst they're cooking, beat eggs, when cooked, add eggs on a medium to high heat, when the bottom of the mixture is firming up add slices of cheese. Pop the lot under the grill and wait untill the omelette has risen and the cheese has melted.

:drool: :D

Cobbydaler
10-04-2007, 07:24
Similar to you, but add half a cup of milk whilst beating the eggs...

joglynne
10-04-2007, 08:17
I separate 4 eggs, lightly beat the yolks and whisk up the whites so they are creamy in texture. I then carefully combine the white and yolks adding a handful of grated cheese and salt' pepper. Into a hot pan (butter and corn oil) and let it cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Then I whip it under a hot grill for the last 2 to 3 minutes. Not your classic omelette, I think it used to be called a soufflé omelette, but it tastes good and looks impressive with a nice green salad.

fireman328
10-04-2007, 08:51
I usually add a pinch of cayenne pepper and some oregano before folding over

handyman
10-04-2007, 09:58
Similar to bopdudes but with leeks/cheese only.

Saaf_laandon_mo
10-04-2007, 10:14
I once read a tip from albert roux regarding making an omelette. When beating the eggs add a couple of tablespoons of fizzy water. I was just wondering if anyones tried that.

Halcyon
10-04-2007, 10:16
I can't stand Omlettes with just one thing in them so the more you can put in the better.
A few chopped onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, and then just before you are about to fold it over, add cheese.
Chopped chives thrown in goes down nicely too.

Taf
10-04-2007, 10:35
I always finish omlettes under the grill... it makes them puff up.

Hot green chillis for me (prefried to get the capsaicin flowing).

orangebird
10-04-2007, 11:07
I once read a tip from albert roux regarding making an omelette. When beating the eggs add a couple of tablespoons of fizzy water. I was just wondering if anyones tried that.

It does work - it's good with scrambled eggs, and yorkshire pudding batter too - adds air and makes the mixture lighter and fluffier.

cookie_365
10-04-2007, 20:27
3 eggs
A couple of drops of Worcester Sauce
Salt (about 15 shakes)
Pepper (about 20 grinds)
Oregano
Basil
Thyme
Freshly grated hard cheese
Beat together (yes, don't add the ingredients to the pan) and fry on a medium to high heat (I like a nice brown outer but slightly runny inner) into Spanish extra virgin olive oil. You need to do some quick fork work to get the mixture evenly spread).

Fold when flipping the omelette from pan to plate.

SnoopZ
10-04-2007, 20:35
I think we need a Cable Forum cooking section added to the site. ;)

zing_deleted
10-04-2007, 20:49
or a cable forum none friendly to anyone on a diet section ;)

homealone
10-04-2007, 20:53
Fry bacon pieces (or pancetta if you're feeling indulgent) until crispy, along with roughly chopped onion & sliced tomatoes (not tinned). Beat as many eggs as you want, minimum 2 & pour over the other ingredients, season with freshly ground black pepper while the base cooks, then add the cheese of your choice e.g. grated Parmigiano Reggiano & pop under a medium grill until the cheese melts & is just beginning to colour.

Serve immediately with a warm crusty baguette & a nice glass of red wine :)

SnoopZ
10-04-2007, 20:59
:drool:

tick
10-04-2007, 21:52
I always finish omlettes under the grill... it makes them puff up.

Hot green chillis for me (prefried to get the capsaicin flowing).

snap makes them yummy

Halcyon
11-04-2007, 11:12
Fry bacon pieces (or pancetta if you're feeling indulgent) until crispy, along with roughly chopped onion & sliced tomatoes (not tinned). Beat as many eggs as you want, minimum 2 & pour over the other ingredients, season with freshly ground black pepper while the base cooks, then add the cheese of your choice e.g. grated Parmigiano Reggiano & pop under a medium grill until the cheese melts & is just beginning to colour.

Serve immediately with a warm crusty baguette & a nice glass of red wine :)

Sounds very nice :tu: