PDA

View Full Version : Cisco VPN

fizgog
09-04-2007, 23:54
I have tried setting up a Cisco VPN to my office, so that I could copy files and reports to and from work instead of copying to a CD.

Our IT guys says that NTL block the required VPN ports, Is this true?

Bill C
10-04-2007, 00:04
I have tried setting up a Cisco VPN to my office, so that I could copy files and reports to and from work instead of copying to a CD.

Our IT guys says that NTL block the required VPN ports, Is this true?

Simple answer no.

ntl don't block any outgoing ports from your pc, they do block a few incoming requests (137, 138, 139, 445 & 1433 spring to mind, there are about three others).

None of them are VPN related

I know lots of users that use VPN over Virgin Broadband

Anonymouse
10-04-2007, 00:44
I use a few VPN sites with no problems in Win 2000 (strangely, though, I could never get VPN to work, despite starting all the required services, until I did a fresh install of 2000, and now it works perfectly. Weird).

Your IT staff might have got that wrong. The best thing is to actually try to establish a VPN link; if it works, then clearly they don't know what they're talking about. :) If it doesn't, the problem might be at their end.

brundles
10-04-2007, 00:48
We have connections running to a Nortel VPN server and another (not sure what type) from here with no problems.

How are you connected to the internet - have you tried direct modem connect rather than router? Some routers have a dislike of certain VPN types. Double check with your IT guys for any NAT specific settings that might be needed.

SimpleSimon
10-04-2007, 19:46
I can confirm that Cisco VPN will work on Virgin Media(NTL). I have Win XP Home and Cisco VPN software and regularly connect to work using it without any problems.

Simon

JSDC
11-04-2007, 02:29
No problems with the Cisco VPN client for me. Works fine in either TCP or UDP mode.

riggers
12-04-2007, 13:45
Ditto here, I've used my work Cisco connection from a few different locations on both ntl & telewests side of the network with no problems.