PDA

View Full Version : acronyms

beebeebob
08-04-2007, 19:02
how are you supposed to under stand what someone is talking about with all these peppered in letters replys and so fourth ?i once sent a letter using all the acronyms i knew but i got a reply i couldnt understand !!!

Stuart
08-04-2007, 19:06
Depends on what Acronyms, and where they are.

It may be that you mean Text speak (TXT SPK), which includes phrases such as U (You) and M8 (mate).

Paul H
08-04-2007, 19:07
Wtfaygoa?

dilli-theclaw
08-04-2007, 19:07
I dunno - If I didn't want a reply full of acronyms (which is no good to me at all these days) I wouldn't send one with any in the first place.

punky
08-04-2007, 19:09
Moved to lifestyle.

A good site for acronyms is www.acronymfinder.com

peanut
08-04-2007, 19:10
Yeah I've had to google a lot of that what's on here, things like IIRC, IMHO, LMAO, FTW and the likes, you might have to check out.

The best place I reckon is http://www.urbandictionary.com/ at least then you can sound hip and trendy or like a 13 year old with their first mobile.

Halcyon
08-04-2007, 19:23
At first you definately wonder what the hell they mean but eventually you can work them out and they feel like you've known them forever.
There are many sites on the net that have the explanations.

joglynne
09-04-2007, 08:59
A sign that I'm getting older is the frustration I have at having to use an interpreter in order to understand what to many must be a simple message.
I wish there was some sort of program that would work like a spell checker. You would right click the acronym and the definition would just pop up.
If anyone knows of such a program could they give me the details?
Jo

Delta Whiskey
09-04-2007, 09:50
I really get annoyed at people who use TXT SPK in e-mails and forum posts, if I see it I just move on. Having to stop and work out what the heck it means is far too much trouble for me, if you want me to read what you say use plain text.

DW

Paul K
09-04-2007, 10:18
Acronynms can be annoying for new users etc but most posters will be happy to explain or decypher any acronym that isn't known to the person reading the post. A lot of the time they are used to speed up the response to the post and in that way provide help as quickly as possible. My excuse is that I spent many years on newsgroups ;)

Hom3r
09-04-2007, 11:08
I think that acronyms are a pain when you are in a job that has technical info and moving jobs, causes problems when you come across the letters that means something completely different.

Cobbydaler
09-04-2007, 11:20
The Internet Acronym Server (http://silmaril.ie/cgi-bin/uncgi/acronyms) is a good place for looking them up...

Paul
09-04-2007, 11:40
TLA's - what a PITA.

joglynne
09-04-2007, 14:49
TLA's - what a PITA.

The Urban Dictionary made my head hurt. So I used the Internet Acronym Server and whilst I now understand PITA. I don't understand why you are so against aggregators. :p:

Everyone should use English so as not to confuse little old ladies. In my job I had to use Acronyms, but that is where I left them--at the office where they belong:p:

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

You would right click the acronym and the definition would just pop up.
If anyone knows of such a program could they give me the details?
Jo

I've just found it!!!! I've linked up Anwers.com with Firefox and it works with just aright click on the offending "word". Jo has entered the 21st century:D :D

Cobbydaler
09-04-2007, 17:36
Everyone should use English so as not to confuse little old ladies. :D

Are you a little old lady? I envisaged you as a hot babe... :D

;)

joglynne
09-04-2007, 18:31
A lady never reveals her age. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/04/18.gifthank goodness I look better after coffee

Cobbydaler
09-04-2007, 19:12
Oh right....

So this is after coffee then? ;)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cobbydaler/images/kate.jpg

joglynne
10-04-2007, 08:04
:erm: No, nothing like me, I've actually got red hair and I don't squint.:D