PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas??

Stangoe
07-04-2007, 10:26
i have a linksys wireless router with my cable modem on 10 mb. and i'm on windows vista on built in wireless card and everytime about being connected for about 1 hour the connection dies. The upload and download on the cable modem stop and i have to reboot the laptop, modem and router. and then sometimes it connects back up.

I tired a wired connection through the router and the same happens.

then i tired just the cable modem, it's stays connected for torrent downloads. but after i can't view any web page. but it's still downloading through bitcomet. to get webpages, i have to reboot.

any ideas??

Paul K
07-04-2007, 10:35
Erm silly question but what are your torrent settings?

Stangoe
07-04-2007, 10:38
not sure mate, it's the internet which is the issue, the torrent are downloading fine. i'm at work at the mo disconnecting customer from virgin. ;)

Paul K
07-04-2007, 10:44
If you drown your upload/ download with torrent traffic then the internet will not work. What cable modem is it and do you run any software firewall?

Stangoe
07-04-2007, 10:48
the cable modem is 255 (250) and i just have the windows firewire. as ive removed the other one i had.

ive drop them and still the same.

the problem is the same when i don't have torrents downloading, just broswing on the net.

Our tech support are **** so i though to ask on here

Paul K
07-04-2007, 12:07
I take it you have checked signal levels etc, are connected via ethernet and not USB (check power saving settings for the device if you do as you can tell it not to switch off for power saving) and have checked your modem isn't overheating? if the U/D lights on the modem aren't doing anything when your connection dies then I'm a little suspicious of either the modem or the VM side of the network in your area.

Stangoe
07-04-2007, 12:35
i'm on ethernet connection now through the cable modem but i really want it on the router as my bro wants the connection also. how to check the signal levels like

cheers

MovedGoalPosts
07-04-2007, 12:39
I'd suspect a large part of your problem is using torrents through the router. Standard Linksys firmware isn't very good at this. Torrents work by throwing out loads of connections and then dropping them quickly. Unfortunately the Linksys Firmware tries to keep the connections running and that overloads the router.

Try flashing your router with the DD-WRT v23 or later firmware (http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads.php), and then modifying the following settings:
'Web-Admin -> Administration -> Management -> IP Filter Settings'
* Maximum Ports: 4096
* TCP Timeout (s): 300 (decrease if you have many TCP connections)
* UDP Timeout (s): 300 (decrease if you have many UDP connections)

Within the torrent config, make sure you aren't saturating your upload - keep it to max of 80% of available upload (not download) bandwidth).

yer nice one
07-04-2007, 14:32
I'd suspect a large part of your problem is using torrents through the router. Standard Linksys firmware isn't very good at this. Torrents work by throwing out loads of connections and then dropping them quickly. Unfortunately the Linksys Firmware tries to keep the connections running and that overloads the router.

Try flashing your router with the DD-WRT v23 or later firmware (http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads.php), and then modifying the following settings:
'Web-Admin -> Administration -> Management -> IP Filter Settings'
* Maximum Ports: 4096
* TCP Timeout (s): 300 (decrease if you have many TCP connections)
* UDP Timeout (s): 300 (decrease if you have many UDP connections)

Within the torrent config, make sure you aren't saturating your upload - keep it to max of 80% of available upload (not download) bandwidth).

I found that I had the exact same problem - it was my Linksys Router causing the problems by dropping the connection(Only when using torrents) - I googled about and found the only way to stop the connection drops was to de-grade the firmware - I found that the latest frmware causes the connection to drop aswell - so sticking with the old firmware:)

Stangoe
07-04-2007, 15:12
cheers thanks for the tips. i will try this.

i'm connecting through my cable modem now, cos my router anit connecting. Just says LOCAL. and not connecting to the internet. I would understand if it was just happening when i'm downloading torrent. but it's browsing also.

Paul K
07-04-2007, 15:38
Did you reboot everything after changing it? You have to power off the equipment when you switch from router to direct or it won't know what has happened.

Stangoe
08-04-2007, 16:45
all sorted me thinks.

cheers