PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Freeview to VM

TJYorker
04-04-2007, 16:26
I am a new convert to this forum and would hope you might excuse me if I ask a question that is either covered elsewhere or appears naive.

I currently receive Freeview from a roof aerial and this arrangement feeds 2 TV's downstairs (with another spare TV socket) via a signal booster/junction box. I spent considerable time and energy routing the current coaxial (aerial) cable behind skirting/coving/plaster to appease my wife.

I am about to order VM cable (3 for £30, with V+), but before my wife allows me to do so, I wonder whether there is any way in which I might be able to continue to utilise the current cable and junction box to avoid having new cable running the length of the house - the second TV is at the rear of the house. I appreciate each TV requires a STB and the main TV will presumably need to have the new cable fed into it via the V+ box.

I really appreciate any advice/guidance from more knowledgable members.

PS. Does the fact that I am having Broadband and Phone as part of the package affect the outcome?

virginmedia
04-04-2007, 19:13
I think if you ask the engineer he will sort it for you.

John

MovedGoalPosts
04-04-2007, 19:30
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

Whether your existing coaxial can be used for the VM feed, will depend on it's quality, and whether you have any joints in the cable, i.e. junction boxes. The coaxial used by the cable cos for the feed between street and STB is usually a higher grade than the stuff you get from the DIY shops. Any connectors are also robustly crimped.

TJYorker
04-04-2007, 23:17
Thanks John and Rob for taking the time to reply. I think I'll go with the suggestion of asking the VM engineer whether he can use the existing set-up and just hope the answer's yes otherwise I can forsee a rather unhappy missus,
Cheers.