PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Problem :-(

Karlos83
02-04-2007, 10:02
Hi All,

Just had my Virgin Media 'Big box of Tricks' delivered, and having a few probs with my Broadband.

I have the NTL Home 250 Cable Modem all plugged in, i run the CD on my PC, and everything seems to go through fine, the installation completes, i run internet explorer........Nothing

I have rang the support line and apparently everything is fine their end.

We carried out a few tests (resetting, safe mode etc) but nothing wokred.

Any ideas? Has anyone had something similar?

Any help would be much appreciated

zing_deleted
02-04-2007, 10:07
:welcome: so all the lights are stable and the modem is all registered? did you have an internet connection before? if so open a browser and click stop to stop it trying to open a page then click tools internet options and connections and remove any old connection type from there reboot and try again. If no good goback into tools internet options then advanced and click reset and allow it to reset all settings reboot retry. If no good open control panel then network connections (im taking it forgranted you connected via ethernet?) right click on connected network adapter and click repair see if it finds ip addresses. Reboot retry,if no good go back into control panel and then users and create a new user but make sure you do not copy anything over. Click start log off and change user try again. If all these fail come back :)

Karlos83
02-04-2007, 10:29
Wow, quick response :Yikes: lol

Yea, the four lights that should be solid are (power, ethernet, sync, ready)

All the old connections have been deleted etc and the repair of the network connection has no effect.

A good idea to try a new user, didnt think of that, i will try that tonight

The other thing i tried, i got a wirless router, plugged the modem into that and ran the router setup, the last step of the router setup was to check for a internet connection........ it failed :(

Could i have a dodgy modem??

zing_deleted
02-04-2007, 10:32
you would have needed to reboot the modem before the router would see a connection

Karlos83
02-04-2007, 10:35
Im pretty sure thats way i turned them on, router then modem

but will try it again when i get home tonight

dont think its a dodgy modem then??

zing_deleted
02-04-2007, 10:52
not yet :)

Richy99
02-04-2007, 10:56
quite possible that the router isnt picking up the ip from the modem, i had this on sat when i had my conenction installed at new place, router working fine, modem was sync'd but no ip until i ran the setup wizard with the router, was strange but it sorted the issue

privateb
02-04-2007, 11:23
Plug the modem in and turn it on
Wait till the ready light goes solid the power up your router.

hurricane
02-04-2007, 12:57
is the ip address of the lan connection set to automatic?

Karlos83
03-04-2007, 09:00
Thanks for all your replies.........Still not working tho :-(

Tried creating a new user, same thing

Tried going through the router again, starting the modem first, then the router first, no difference

Yes the network connection is set to get IP automatically

I have rang NTL support a few times, first they said it was a problem with their Server (Friday), Then i should turn everything off, start machine in safe mode and it will "definatley" work (Saturday), Last night they said there was a problem with the registration of the modem and to try again in 4 or 5 hours after they un-register and re-register manually from their side

I feel like they are trying to fob me off, and call back when they have finished.

What are their policies with sending out engineers, or replacement parts???

zing_deleted
03-04-2007, 09:09
call em tell em your gonna cancel unless they send an engineer out asap ive been fobbed off in the past just to get me past the weekend hassle em today and demand a visit by monday :)

Tightscot
03-04-2007, 10:08
LOL starting the machine in 'safe mode' won't ever work cos the network won't be started, lmao...

(unless they specifically said 'safe mode with networking')

Acathla
03-04-2007, 10:16
Do you still need to go to the autoregister thingymabob to register your MAC with NTL? not quite sure if it's still needed or indeed the address sorry :)

US.M@JORHAZZARD
03-04-2007, 12:35
Im pretty sure thats way i turned them on, router then modem

but will try it again when i get home tonight

dont think its a dodgy modem then??

bootup sequence should be as follows 1st modem, 2nd router, 3rd PC.

This sequence allows the modem to acquire the connection to VM network.

The Router will then pick up the assigned IP.

provided your Router is configured as a dhcp it will then assign an IP to your computer usually 192.168.0.X.

turn on your PC and open DOS box by typing CMD in the run box, when the DOS window opens up type at the promt "ipconfig" without the quotes.

you should then see your assigned IP 192.168.0.X, if thats all ok try pinging your modem ip = 192.168.100.1,

if that replies ok its not your router or your patch lead and it rules those 2 out..

Open internet explorer and see what happens.

If still no luck then try configure router to not act as dhcp and assign ip's to each pc manually see what happens there.

If you are still stuck try removing the router from the equation and directly connect your modem to your pc VIA the eithernet cable or the USB see what happens when you open internet explorer.

If none of that works i'm stuck...

Karlos83
03-04-2007, 18:59
Last night they said there was a problem with the registration of the modem and to try again in 4 or 5 hours after they un-register and re-register manually from their side

This worked!! Thanks for all your help people