PDA

View Full Version : I quit!

r00t
02-04-2007, 08:35
I'm on day 5 of not smoking now, I use patches and chewing gum.
As the days go by I find myself using less and less gum; the gum was a replacement for the habitual side of my smoking like after eating.

Now the instructions on the box for the patches recommend using the one strength for 6 weeks, well this sounds a little long to me because I am still depending on nicotine. So my question's are: has anyone give up using the same methods and did they follow the recommended time of 6 weeks per strength.

Also has anyone got any tips, I find myself bored now because I have nothing to do with my hands. ( No smutty comments Fingy, Pia, et al ) ;)

Enuff
02-04-2007, 09:19
Well done just keep it up! I stopped 7 years ago, I used patches for the first week then good old will-power after that. It does get better as each day goes by, dont be beaten by it, show them nasty little cancer sticks who's the boss!

I found that going through the motions of smoking helped. Use a pen or something cig like to take away the feeling of having nothing to do with your hands.

Good luck and don't give in! :tu:

Graham M
02-04-2007, 09:23
Last time I gave up (yeah I know) I used Gum for a while after, but this time I just stopped and haven't regretted it.

Tinky
02-04-2007, 09:23
I wish you luck r00t, no one said it would be easy, but plenty of good tips here:-

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/33605738-how-do-support-someone-giving-up.html

peanut
02-04-2007, 09:50
It's now 6 months for me and still counting. A

I used patches, I used the high strength ones for about 3-4 weeks, then I stayed on the high strength ones but cut them in half. (the half strength ones are the same price as full, so you get double for you money that way).

After a period of time you might forget to replace a patch or feel you don't really need them, then go without patches and see how you go. Always have a few spare patches knocking around, so if you get tempted to smoke, stick half a patch on instead and see, urges come and go and they don't usually last that long.

You will always think about smoking, that's the worse thing, you just need to convince yourself and look at all the positive reasons to why you quit in the 1st place. It wasn't too difficult for me.

Good luck. :)

zing_deleted
02-04-2007, 09:56
I just stopped 17 years ago stopped drinking alcohol at the same time till I was over the fags. How many did you smoke a day? put the cash in a jar instead as you see it increase you can think about a treat that you can buy yourself with the money. You have stopped now do not start again

you could buy sugar free loliopops and just suck on one of them when your bored

peanut
02-04-2007, 09:59
I just stopped 17 years ago stopped drinking alcohol at the same time till I was over the fags. How many did you smoke a day? put the cash in a jar instead as you see it increase you can think about a treat that you can buy yourself with the money. You have stopped now do not start again

Trouble was I smoked the imported baccy (from the bloke in the pub type of thing lol) which made smoking very affordable. It was patches that bankrupted me.

zing_deleted
02-04-2007, 10:09
does your food taste better? and can you smell again now? cuz you will smell a lot better now you stopped ;)

SatelliteTVTalk
02-04-2007, 11:43
It'll also help with the no smoking ban coming in on July 1st - It'll be far less socially acceptable to be smoking on a night out I presume - and thus far easier to give up methinks!

Good luck r00t - top stuff

r00t
02-04-2007, 13:25
Thanks for the support :)

Great link Tinky.

zing, food tastes great and I can smell a cig from miles away and TBH it smells horrid. Going to try the lolipops and a empty pen tube as suggested by Dodger444.

peanutkp, now why didn't I think of that. Just been out and bought the next step down 14mg for £15. I should have read this thread before going to boots.

oh and besides being able to smell and taste better, my wife ( non smoker ) seems to want to....errm.....you know what I mean... more often ;)

tabatha
02-04-2007, 14:23
The smell of smoke on clothes etc is the main reason that, after stopping about 40 years ago, I never wanted to start again.

As others have said, once the smoke smell was out of my system, I realised just what I had been imposing on the non-smokers I was with.

Short of having ALL clothing, including suits etc washed/dry cleaned on a daily basis the smell was always there, but not to the smoker...and i was able to play 3 sets of badminton, without collapsing.....

And any girlfriends seemed happy to get a bit closer...:tu:

Fingy
02-04-2007, 14:26
Fair play to you, I have made several feeble attempts at quitting... 3 months is the longest so far... but if anything I am now smoking more than before. :erm:

And I'm an :angel: no smutty comments from me... honest!

Vlad_Dracul
02-04-2007, 18:42
I'm on day 5 of not smoking now, I use patches and chewing gum.
As the days go by I find myself using less and less gum; the gum was a replacement for the habitual side of my smoking like after eating.

Now the instructions on the box for the patches recommend using the one strength for 6 weeks, well this sounds a little long to me because I am still depending on nicotine. So my question's are: has anyone give up using the same methods and did they follow the recommended time of 6 weeks per strength.

Also has anyone got any tips, I find myself bored now because I have nothing to do with my hands. ( No smutty comments Fingy, Pia, et al ) ;)

Well done, your doing the right thing. I have a relative who is slowly smoking herself to death and now has suspected cancer. She is still smoking,her circulation and breathing are totally knackered and she uses Oxygen cylinders.

Tinky
02-04-2007, 19:46
I smoked for 37 years. My last cigarette, though I didn't know it, at the time, was on the 8th January, 1998 at 2.40pm, in the hospital car park. How casually I crunched that last (extra long) dog end under my heel, without even giving it a second thought. But I was in for the surprise of my life, the doppler test on my neck, showed that one of my carotid arteries was 100% blocked and the other, though they couldn't measure it, was certainly over 95% blocked. I was heading for a major stroke, (I had already been diagnosed as having a series of minor strokes, which affected my speech etc.,). The Surgeon wouldn't let me go home (thankfully), and he insisted I was admitted through the emergency Dept, to await an operation (endarterectomy) on my neck, which was scheduled top of the list asap. I was one of the lucky ones, I was saved in the nick of time. I have never smoked since, and wouldn't even dare. If this helps even just one smoker to give up, or even try, I will be a happy! I have already told you in a previous thread, that my older sister was not so lucky, she had a major stroke 3 years ago, and has lost the use of her legs and her left arm. Who wants a living death?

zing_deleted
02-04-2007, 19:56
Thats all well heavy :( glad your ok now though?

r00t
02-04-2007, 20:16
Well heavy as you say zing, but it sure hits home.
Seeing adverts on tv is one thing but hearing ( reading ) and seeing the results posted by someone is something else.

Thanks for the post Tinky. And I hope you are well :)

Tinky
02-04-2007, 20:29
Thanks Zing, you are a diamond!

I don't mean to scare anyone, I just say it like it is, I believe there are different types of smokers. Personally I would rather have cut out my tongue, than travel 2ft without my cigs and lighter, that's how dependent I was. All my everyday movements were governed by this dreadful habit. I felt a failure because I just couldn't give up, what was wrong with me?, all my friends seemed able to give it up effortlessly, I couldn't envisage life without smokes. At night, in bed, I could hear my chest wheezing away, but did that put me off?, not on your nelly. Mr Tink, who is a non smoker, often begged me to give up, but I just couldn't do it, not even for him. There is light at the end of the tunnel, just take one day at a time. We are all r00ting for you r00t! Good luck!

PS Like I said in a previous post, my daughter was so impressed, with me, she also has managed to give up, and I am content that my grandchildren now live in a smoke free home.

Jules
02-04-2007, 21:03
I admire anyone who has managed to give up :tu:

SnoopZ
02-04-2007, 21:04
I admire anyone who has managed to give up :tu:

Your turn next Jules. ;)

Jules
02-04-2007, 21:05
I'm afraid I am too weak willed :(

SnoopZ
02-04-2007, 21:15
How much is a packet of 20 fags these days?

superbiatch
02-04-2007, 21:17
How much is a packet of 20 fags these days?

£4.90 for a pack of L&B

SnoopZ
02-04-2007, 21:21
£4.90 for a pack of L&B

That's £147 a month :Yikes: if someone smokes 20 a day, how do people afford to smoke as i know i couldn't. :)

Jules
02-04-2007, 21:23
£3.95 for Park road

Salu
03-04-2007, 14:59
If you could see inside your lungs it may help you to stop.....It's not that you are too weak willed. It's just that you haven't yet found your motivation.

:)