PDA

View Full Version : Connection via neighbours street port

dave.m
01-04-2007, 12:51
We have new neighbours which need to hook their cable service from the street. As their driveway is block paved, they have asked if they could take a feed from our line (engineer suggestion) at our house or another feed from our street port which would cut through our lawn. The later isn't a problem as our line is already buried that way.

My question is this, would it be better to let the engineer take a feed directly from our street port or will it be ok to hook on to our grey box attached to the house. If it equates to the same thing then I guess my next question would be what are the potential down sides of doing this (will my net connection be less stable ?).

Hope that makes sense, any feed back would be appreciated as the VM engineer is coming around on Tuesday.

TIA

Dave

Bill C
01-04-2007, 13:05
We have new neighbours which need to hook their cable service from the street. As their driveway is block paved, they have asked if they could take a feed from our line (engineer suggestion) at our house or another feed from our street port which would cut through our lawn. The later isn't a problem as our line is already buried that way.

My question is this, would it be better to let the engineer take a feed directly from our street port or will it be ok to hook on to our grey box attached to the house. If it equates to the same thing then I guess my next question would be what are the potential down sides of doing this (will my net connection be less stable ?).

Hope that makes sense, any feed back would be appreciated as the VM engineer is coming around on Tuesday.

TIA

Dave

They have to be connected directly to the street cabinet. Do not let them connect to your drop box.

If you have no objection to them running the cable via your lawn i would do that. I have made installers go back and reinstall a drop when i have found them using another persons drop box. It is against the installation standard that the installers have to abide by to use a next door neighbors drop box.

The only time its allowed is to provide a connection while a cable is replaced on a fault situation.

papa smurf
01-04-2007, 13:10
this is a big no no conecting to your cable will severly dimminish your service,they must have there own cable back to street cab

dave.m
01-04-2007, 13:14
They have to be connected directly to the street cabinet. Do not let them connect to your drop box.

If you have no objection to them running the cable via your lawn i would do that. I have made installers go back and reinstall a drop when i have found them using another persons drop box. It is against the installation standard that the installers have to abide by to use a next door neighbors drop box.

The only time its allowed is to provide a connection while a cable is replaced on a fault situation.

Thanks Bill C.

Having theirs and my connection on the same street port is ok then ? ie. it would be the same as them connecting to their own street port.

* Street port is my reference for the connection point which stops at the bottom of each house.

dave.m
01-04-2007, 17:29
Thanks Bill C.

Having theirs and my connection on the same street port is ok then ? ie. it would be the same as them connecting to their own street port.

* Street port is my reference for the connection point which stops at the bottom of each house.

Did that make sense ?

I understand about not pairing up with my drop box (grey box on the house).

TIA

Dave

Bill C
01-04-2007, 18:42
Did that make sense ?

I understand about not pairing up with my drop box (grey box on the house).

TIA

Dave

The cabinet in the street is fine. The box on the outside of YOUR building is not. It must be 2 different cable's from the cabinet in the street to you and your neighbour. :)

dave.m
01-04-2007, 20:16
The cabinet in the street is fine. The box on the outside of YOUR building is not. It must be 2 different cable's from the cabinet in the street to you and your neighbour. :)

Sorry to be pedantic Bill but.....does the cable access point from the public footpath equate to a seperate cable to the green cabinet at the end of street. I always assumed that there was a big cable running under the foot path which is then forked off to create an access point for each house. It's this access point which I'm suggesting my neighbour get's connected to. If this access point is the same as having his own direct link to the green cabinet all is well, if not and it's the same as connecting to my own grey box attatched to my house I'll be in a bit of a pickle.

Dave

* Sorry to take up your time

Digi Tel
01-04-2007, 20:46
Each subscriber has their own distinct cable from their house wall-mounted omnibox linked to the virgin media green street cabinet.
The advice in this thread is that your neighbours should have their own unique cable but it's path to their house is open to negotiation.
If you are happy for it to run under your lawn then you can give your permission. This will have no impact on your own service.
The access point in the pavement only conceals a plastic ducting junction. If this provides access to your neighbours cable as well as yours, then this is not a problem, but it should be a separate cable.

hairy_mick
01-04-2007, 21:33
unless they damage your cable while laying nextdoors !!!!!!

Bill C
01-04-2007, 21:59
Each subscriber has their own distinct cable from their house wall-mounted omnibox linked to the virgin media green street cabinet.
The advice in this thread is that your neighbours should have their own unique cable but it's path to their house is open to negotiation.
If you are happy for it to run under your lawn then you can give your permission. This will have no impact on your own service.
The access point in the pavement only conceals a plastic ducting junction. If this provides access to your neighbours cable as well as yours, then this is not a problem, but it should be a separate cable.

What he said :tu:

Sorry to be pedantic Bill but.....does the cable access point from the public footpath equate to a seperate cable to the green cabinet at the end of street. I always assumed that there was a big cable running under the foot path which is then forked off to create an access point for each house. It's this access point which I'm suggesting my neighbour get's connected to. If this access point is the same as having his own direct link to the green cabinet all is well, if not and it's the same as connecting to my own grey box attatched to my house I'll be in a bit of a pickle.

Dave

* Sorry to take up your time

Its nice to answer a question instead of fighting the Sky fan boys :LOL:

mmm
01-04-2007, 22:36
If across your lawn make sure you point out you regularly use a fork to aerate the lawn and the cable must be deeper than your usual one! [Mine definitely isn't!]

dave.m
02-04-2007, 01:04
Thanks for all your relpies, I fully understand now :)

Dave

MovedGoalPosts
02-04-2007, 01:54
If the cable is to be run via the pavement point in front of your house, then across any part of your land to your neighbour's property, you will need to sign a wayleave agreement enabling Virgin Media to do that. Remember the cable router might become established and be of issue to any person who acquires your house should you sell. It's why this wouldn't be normal practice.

rikur
03-04-2007, 22:26
I've inheritted a slight variation on this theme .... both mine and my neighbour share a cable running straight under the hedge that runs along the border .... the brown terminating box is mounted right on the end of the boundary wall, and then it contains two two-way spliters, one to the neighbour, and one to each of my SACM and STB.

It would be interesting to work out, am I sharing his connection, or is he sharing mine!! There's only the one "hole in the pavement", and that's spot on the boundary also - this seems to be the way they've done most of the road.

That said, it all seems to work fine (fatal last words!)

Nedkelly
03-04-2007, 22:33
As others have said each house should have its own feed from the box in the street to your house.If you or your neighbour decides to disconnect then the tech would disc both of you if he did this in the street cab .:)

dave.m
04-04-2007, 01:28
Engineer came today and installed a seperate cable while neatly placing it under our lawn. Fast and efficient.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Dave

Bill C
04-04-2007, 08:27
Engineer came today and installed a seperate cable while neatly placing it under our lawn. Fast and efficient.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Dave

:tu:

daniel larusso
10-04-2007, 10:33
Sorry to bump this topic but I have a similar query.

About 4 months ago my next door neighbours had NTL round for an installation. Midway through the engineer knocked on our door and said that (sorry for the non technical knowledge) the cable had snapped while doing the work and they had no more in the van. He asked would it be possible to take it from our connection and they would come back next week to sort it out. He said that it wouldn't affect us in anyway.

We agreed and he then asked up to disconnect from the internet as it would be unavailable while they are working.

After he was finished the engineer came round again and asked us to test the internet again to make sure it was working. It was and that was the end of it.

The problem is that to the best of knowledge the engineer has never came back to redo the cable and I just wondered if this could have any affect to me. My mine worry is that NTL will not be able to differentiate the volume of internet traffic coming through to me. Would they be able to still track individual household usage if the cable hasn't yet been separated?

Thanks

MovedGoalPosts
10-04-2007, 11:30
As a temporary connection it was OK, but as is highlighted elsewhere, if this becomes a permanent arrangement you can create problems with wayleaves and other adverse possesion rights.

It's unlikely that you'd get hit for traffic as such - each modem or STB has it's own IP address and Mac address and it's that the network will use for any monitoring. However, the concern has to be signal strength, especially if you subsequently want to change or add more services, and the one feed to your house and your neighbours might not cope.

you should be calling Virgin Media Faults to complain.

daniel larusso
10-04-2007, 12:19
Thanks for the reply Rob.

I will monitor the situation :)

Bill C
10-04-2007, 12:52
As a temporary connection it was OK, but as is highlighted elsewhere, if this becomes a permanent arrangement you can create problems with wayleaves and other adverse possesion rights.

It's unlikely that you'd get hit for traffic as such - each modem or STB has it's own IP address and Mac address and it's that the network will use for any monitoring. However, the concern has to be signal strength, especially if you subsequently want to change or add more services, and the one feed to your house and your neighbours might not cope.

you should be calling Virgin Media Faults to complain.

I agree with Rob. You DO need to contact Virgin Customer Service and get this resolved.