PDA

View Full Version : Sync & Speed problem

phoenix__
31-03-2007, 23:59
Evening All,

On a 10MB service in Colchester, which normally I can't fault - full speed whenever I want. Over the last few days it's been really rather crap in the evening, 100KB/s (normally 1000KB/s) and today I'm <100KB/s if I can even get a connection. For quite a while, and on several occasions the modem has been flashing the sync link which leaves me with no connection at all.

I've spoken to support (was well impressed, not on hold at all) who say there is no reported problem and an Engineer will be with me on Thursday, but I should call back and cancel if the sync & ready lights come back on.

Given that the problem has happened several times today, although it is now working I'm not going to cancel given it could start again (and I might get a modem upgrade). Currently got the blue 200 (I think) modem.

Anyone got any thoughts, or know what might be going on? Or do I just wait for the engineer to arrive on thursday.

Locky
01-04-2007, 00:18
i cant help on this but i thought just tell u, the blue modem is the 250 (the 200 is only silver as far as i am aware)

jerryl
01-04-2007, 00:25
ask if ur on the right server, and if they tell you you aren't ,which might be why ur not getting 1000kb/s, then they will change the server ur on.

popper
01-04-2007, 01:03
Evening All,

On a 10MB service in Colchester, which normally I can't fault - full speed whenever I want. Over the last few days it's been really rather crap in the evening, 100KB/s (normally 1000KB/s) and today I'm <100KB/s if I can even get a connection. For quite a while, and on several occasions the modem has been flashing the sync link which leaves me with no connection at all.

I've spoken to support (was well impressed, not on hold at all) who say there is no reported problem and an Engineer will be with me on Thursday, but I should call back and cancel if the sync & ready lights come back on.

Given that the problem has happened several times today, although it is now working I'm not going to cancel given it could start again (and I might get a modem upgrade). Currently got the blue 200 (I think) modem.

Anyone got any thoughts, or know what might be going on? Or do I just wait for the engineer to arrive on thursday.

i guess its possible that the headend is being reworked for 20Mbit/s upgrades and they have moved you over to a temp connection while they do what their doing?.

its seems the last time they upgraded to 10 mbit/s many people were having temp problems until the work was finished on their cable/headend. but who knows, perhaps the new VM techs joining the board for the rota thread can comment and enlighten readers whats happening generally over the network upgrades etc?.

phoenix__
02-04-2007, 10:06
It's been even more crap yesterday and today ... down for most of Sunday, then came up at 11:00 pm. A download this morning averaged 1008B/s (that's right, just under 1KB/s). Been watching the SNR when it's been up, and it was around 58dbm ... i read that over 61 = loss of service.

The server status page has them doing updates in my area Tuesday and Wednesday this week ... hopefully that'll sort it out, but I have the engineer coming on thursday if not.

phoenix__
05-04-2007, 15:47
Well, just had the engineer round - don't think he was in for even 2 minutes. Plugged the coax cable into his tester, got a new modem out of his bag, everything synced up almost instantly and he left.

I've got got a virgin media 255 modem, which appears to be identical to the ntl 250 I had except 1) No USB socket 2) it says virginmedia and not ntl. The MAC address sticker on the underside still has ntl 250 on it tho.

Glad everything is back to normal :)