PDA

View Full Version : TV and Internet connection problems i have an idea why!!!

bigcats30
31-03-2007, 21:19
Hi guys

i get the feeling that other people get this problem so if so let me know as i will go armed to VM.....heres the problem

I'm an Ex NTL customer.....i use to just have BB and landline but decided to save cash to get the V+ with VM as i was saving cash...i did have sky+!!!

since i had the V+ fitted every evening around 8pm i loose both BB and on demand.......now having a bit of knowledge on computers and cables etc i did some investergation!!!

simple fault finding really if you know how....carried out the usual turn all off and wait then back on again....did not work....!!!

so i turn off the TV removed the splitter and plugged the modem (NTL 250 model) directly in the cable as it was before...and it worked fine.....so disconnected the modem and just plugged in the V+ box...again it worked!!!

so i thought ok its the splitter!!! so i got a new one....same problem but only at night!!!

so what i reckon it is (rang VM they say a new cable!!!) ******** if you ask me its because they bottlneck the connection at night because of the users which in turn degrades the signal and then the modem and TV box loose the connection as both are after the juice!!!

all i do now is switch one off if i want to use the other....proper pain in the ass but untill they come out i'm stuck withit!!

that i can promise is what causes most of your problems!!!! however i have NO solution so someone else might have!!

papa smurf
31-03-2007, 21:42
the splitter causes a 3db loss .so sounds like you have low levels ,you need a vm tech to check levels in cab local to your street ,and at your property

Digi Tel
01-04-2007, 00:26
rang VM they say a new cable!!!) ********
Most definitely a problem with your signal level and the tech will decide the method to bring it up to the required level which MAY mean a new cable. Your current signal level is too low and requires attention. It is nothing to do with your "bottlenecking" suggestion.

XFS03
01-04-2007, 12:59
Hi bigcats30. Welcome to CF.

As mentioned above, it looks like your signal levels are on the limit, & inserting the splitter is attenuating them beyond the working range.

Was the original splitter installed by a VM installer? Are there any attenuators fitted to either the modem or STB?

...that i can promise is what causes most of your problems!!!!...
Well, there are a range of problems that can occur with cable. Low signal strength is just one of them.

btw...if you want to look at your modem signal levels, go here http://192.168.100.1 (user name & password = root). Click on downstream to see your Downstream Receive Power Level, & click on Upstream to see your Upstream transmit Power Level. There is a sticky at the top of this page which shows the type of levels to expect, or have a read here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html

bigcats30
06-04-2007, 20:39
sorry i didn't get back but have been away....

right yes the splitter is brand new and was installed by the VM tech guy....my cable to the box that has all the streets cables in (junction box?) is less than 20 metres away and i got the VM when he installed the set top box to renew ALL connections......even he said you have low signal so may need a new cable which is being done on tuesday so will let you know how it all goes

and thanks for the help so far ;)

bigcats30
10-04-2007, 21:31
Right update and hopefully the end of it.....

VM tech came round and tested signal strength...it was way to high he said 12DB i saw on his gadget, so fitted some attenuators 10db on the modem and 3 db on the tv box and seems to have done the trick

so little bit of advise i thought my signal was to low....he said your signal if to high will have the same effect!!....all seems to be good so far but will let you know

XFS03
10-04-2007, 23:25
That's strange, as the splitter introduces around 3.5dB of loss, so it should have made your connection more reliable if your signal was too high to start with.

Did you ever look at your signal levels yourself on the modem's config pages?

roj
11-04-2007, 13:30
I ran the modem diagnostics. Does this make any sense?
I thought power levels should be higher for downstream receive
& lower for upstream transmit
roj :confused:
.................................................. ...................
Cable Modem Configuration
Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
MAC address : 00:d0:59:c2:a8:ac
IP address : xx.xxx.xxx.xx
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.09 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 30.52 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 47.50 dBmv
.................................................. .....................

bigcats30
11-04-2007, 13:43
That's strange, as the splitter introduces around 3.5dB of loss, so it should have made your connection more reliable if your signal was too high to start with.

Did you ever look at your signal levels yourself on the modem's config pages?
thats what i thought the higher the signal level the better service.....but apparently thats not right because each serve needs a certain level.....the more percise the level the better the service....well thats what the VM tech guy said anyway....to much power or signal can cause signal loss

XFS03
11-04-2007, 18:36
I ran the modem diagnostics. Does this make any sense?
I thought power levels should be higher for downstream receive
& lower for upstream transmit
roj :confused:
.................................................. ...................
Cable Modem Configuration
Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
MAC address : 00:d0:59:c2:a8:ac
IP address : xx.xxx.xxx.xx
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.09 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 30.52 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 47.50 dBmv
.................................................. .....................
Those figures look fine.

Take a look at the sticky thread at the top of this page about signal levels.