PDA

View Full Version : Modem changed - No connection now

RumbleBee
31-03-2007, 15:37
since my modem was changed this morning I'm now not able to get any kind of a connection. My initial problems were that the modem was only putting through 2mb whilst I was paying for 10mb. There broadband support dept said the modem needs to be changed. 5 weeks later (this morning) the modem was changed and I was left a CD I was advised to use.

If run CD I get an error - Unable to connect to Activation server.

I'm assuming the activation server is required for new customers, but then again I'm not sure as my friend told me he never needed a CD after his modem was changed.

I tried calling NTL but it seems there Broadband helpline is experiencing problems, as they have been for the last 6 hours.

Anybody else had there modem changed. Is there maybe an IP address I can try to connect to for activation. The CD software just will not budge past this point.

Thanks,
Andy

Richy99
31-03-2007, 15:43
are you connected directly to the modem or are you using a router?

aaronkiller
31-03-2007, 15:44
:confused: :Yikes: i have the same promblem paying for 10mb and only getting 2mb i have tried to ring bt about it but no one is every there to help:mad:

Marge
31-03-2007, 16:57
The modem needs to be swapped over at Virgins end, this is usually sorted out by the engineer when he is at the property so it looks like you may need to call in

internetguy
31-03-2007, 17:31
:confused: :Yikes: i have the same promblem paying for 10mb and only getting 2mb i have tried to ring bt about it but no one is every there to help:mad:

Mod edit (Gavin): Please refrain from making personal comments If you have 10mb from VIRGIN and you ring BT, they are really gonna be able to help you arent they?

Mike Malone
31-03-2007, 18:31
First things first what modem have you just got installed and what lights are illuminated/flashing on the front of the modem?

If you have a wireless or standard router then take this out of the equation and just use the modem that VM/NTL installed, connect to it using the Ethernet cable and not the usb if possible.

If the MAC addy has been swapped over to your new modem you should be up and running