PDA

View Full Version : 10 meg from a Samsung

caveman
29-03-2007, 16:38
How good / consistant is the 10 meg BB. I have the 4 and it is rock solid. I have read posts that suggest that the 10 is unreliable and at times worse than the 4. I ask this as I have the oppurtunity to ugrade with the VIP package. Also has got the 10 meg service from their Samsung STB. I would like the V+ box put in another room and if possible would like to leave the Samsung and avoid a break in service which would be necessary if I needed a SA modem.

AndyCambs
29-03-2007, 16:42
I believe you do need a SACM - the Samsung STB are not capable of 10MB any way.
Additionally, it's only ex-C&W that had broadband through the STB, and in a process of standardisation, this is no longer offered to new customers, and existing customers are upgraded to SACM. I had it done, I was "broadband-less" for about an hour waiting for the account to be switched.

caveman
29-03-2007, 16:48
I am ex NTL, was originally on a Pace STB and upgraded to Samsung from which I get a rock solid 4 Meg BB. CS state that Samsung STB can deliver 10 but I have read conflicting views on this. I would rather not have the ag of a break in service if I could get the 10 from the Samsung.

Nikesh
29-03-2007, 16:50
Trust me, it's better to get a cable modem. The Samsung won't give you more than 7Mb. I'm on 4Mb too, but I think 10Mb is pretty solid/reliable seeing as Virgin Media will be upgrading it to 20Mb in the next couple of months.

Pushkar
29-03-2007, 16:54
I have a motorola SB5100, i get speeds of about 7mb/s, is this due to my modem.

caveman
29-03-2007, 16:56
Nikesh, how difficult a procedure is it to get BB up and running again with the SACM. Do you have to reregister it again with BB CS. What about my router, will I have to go through the procedure without the router installed and hope it is OK when the the BB is running and I refit the router. If you see what I mean.

AndyCambs
29-03-2007, 17:20
Nikesh, how difficult a procedure is it to get BB up and running again with the SACM. Do you have to reregister it again with BB CS. What about my router, will I have to go through the procedure without the router installed and hope it is OK when the the BB is running and I refit the router. If you see what I mean.

A piece of cake to be honest. The only thing you have to wait for is thw broadband account to be switched on. I used the CD supplied, which gives the options for "I already have an account" and just entered my current main ntlworld.com email address.