PDA

View Full Version : Lost Connection Mystery

SADIE
29-03-2007, 10:05
I keep losing connection, it sometimes starts well and then just slips away and tells me I am not connected although I can clearly see that `Network Connection` is Connected .. whoops just looked at it now and it is Disconnected .. what does this all mean .. I still have your Forum up ..
I can`t even get Internet Explorer up .. so fone Microsoft and do all the tests
Can`t find Server and Can`t Display Page messages all the time.
Trouble all started in Jan 07 when I upgraded to Internet Explorer 7 … crashed .. And couldn`t remove it .. Advised to clear everything, reinstalled CD via Dell and stayed with Int Ex 6
All ok then after 10 years with AOL to save money !!? Got Virgin Bundle 3 .. Trouble began again ..
Microsoft thought it was a clash of Hosts etcetc.. Been under desk since Jan trying to sort it .. Don`t really know who to blame …
Also when I`ve been disconnected mysteriously Windows Media Player tells me my sound card if there is one is corrupted .. Won`t play music via itunes etc
Microsoft suggested the Virgin Modem may be clashing with the sound cable .. All beyond me
I have Dell & Windows XP and their Firewall but its `not connected to the service` asks for Internet Connection Sharing service` but scared to run it at the moment because even if I try to update Windows I lose Connection ..
Have AVG Free Edition
VIRGIN.NET BROADBAND
Speed Touch USB ADSL PPP
Disconnected/Connected
This goes on/off like a yoyo .
No Router.. don`t know what P2P Tools are ..
Just tested Connection on your site and is says You do not appear to be on a Virgin Media Connection
And Speed Test
1st 512K took 4235 ms = 120.9 KB/sec, approx 996 Kbps, 0.97 Mbps
2nd 512K took 4251 ms = 120.4 KB/sec, approx 992 Kbps, 0.97 Mbps
3rd 512K took 4235 ms = 120.9 KB/sec, approx 996 Kbps, 0.97 Mbps
4th 512K took 4251 ms = 120.4 KB/sec, approx 992 Kbps, 0.97 Mbps
Sorry to be a pain .. Migraine needs tea and dark room ...thankyou...xs

Efour
29-03-2007, 10:31
Get a real ADSL router and your problems will probably go away.

THey cost about 40 quid make sure you have a Network card on your PC too.
Connect the pair by ethernet.

SADIE
31-03-2007, 08:46
Thank you ...
Now as I look at the Network Connection it is showing
VIRGIN.NET BROADBAND
Speed Touch USB ADSL PPP
Disconnected, Firewalled

BUT I am on line and everything seems to be working fine .. Am sooo confused ...

About Firewalls .. I don`t think I`ve got one actually working ..has never blocked anything ..... very odd!!
Windows Firewall shows a message `settings can` be displayed - associated service is Not running` ..asks if I want to start ICS ????
No idea .. too scarey..
Ran SEARCH & FIND Firewall - found list of 10 .. no idea what they are doing and if I should remove them .. also very scarey .. Gratefully receive any help going .. thank you ...xs

zing_deleted
31-03-2007, 09:05
I take it you have filters on all phones points and unfiltered line to the modem. How many telephones do you have? On the usb modem when you lose connection does the dsl light flash? Is the modem connected via an extension? Sounds to me like a power issue on your line tbh specially if you do lose sync.
If you have a cable point outside your house dump adsl and go cable ;)

SADIE
31-03-2007, 10:44
Thank you soo much .. But .. I don`t know what you mean by a filter on the fone ...??
I live in an appartment block ... have no more funds to do cable and move from Virgin (but am thinking about it ) ..
Only have one fone line and fone .. the Speed Touch Modem is connected to that via connection box another lead goes into the USB socket straight into the front of the tower.
Am rapidly ageing ......xs