PDA

View Full Version : Got a SACM, now BB is half speed :(

dontpannic
28-03-2007, 23:29
Hi Guys,

Firstly I can't check the modem diagnostics at the moment, as the router is plugged in!!

We got our Cable modem through today and I set it all up, took the connection away from the set top box (which we subscribed 4mb) and hooked up the virgin branded ntl home 250 modem, all works fine, connected a treat and got up and running. Now I've spotted a problem. On various speed tests, including the one here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker

I only get 2mb. Doing the pgup pgdn blue trick on the STB says it still has stb-mid.cm loaded, which was the 4mb package. I'll look at the SACM diagnostics page in a mo and see what it's set to, otherwise, do I have to phone Virgin?

Cheers,
Nick

dontpannic
29-03-2007, 09:28
OK, checked the modem operating config and it seems it is on 2048000, where its supposed to be 4096000, I'll have to phone Virgin and see what they come up with.

Cheers

virginmedia
29-03-2007, 09:37
Call 151 and see what thet come up with!!

grimwau
29-03-2007, 09:54
Hi Guys,

Firstly I can't check the modem diagnostics at the moment, as the router is plugged in!!

I have a Linksys router and I can check my modem settings OK via the modem IP address in my browser.

dontpannic
29-03-2007, 09:57
I have a Linksys router and I can check my modem settings OK via the modem IP address in my browser.

Mine wouldn't do that, even if I entered a manual route. Doesn't matter, I'm getting a new router today so that should clear that up.

I've set the router IP to 192.168.100.2 and added the route but it didn't like it, but it's nearly dead anyhow!

I'll phone faults when I get in, the STB broadband still works, too... :S

opelfruitcase
29-03-2007, 12:10
Mine wouldn't do that, even if I entered a manual route. Doesn't matter, I'm getting a new router today so that should clear that up.

I've set the router IP to 192.168.100.2 and added the route but it didn't like it, but it's nearly dead anyhow!

I'll phone faults when I get in, the STB broadband still works, too... :S

Thinking it will be easy to sort out. Don't speak to faults though, its customer services you will need to speak to. The incorrect service level has simply been provisioned on the account by the sound of it - a very quick and easy change.

dontpannic
29-03-2007, 13:59
Thinking it will be easy to sort out. Don't speak to faults though, its customer services you will need to speak to. The incorrect service level has simply been provisioned on the account by the sound of it - a very quick and easy change.

Goooooood. thats what I like to hear!!

Cheers,
Nick

dontpannic
29-03-2007, 23:16
Not so. I phoned customer services who reckoned they'd update us to 4mb. Good I thought. My dad decided to go for the VIP Pack, so we phoned up CS, upgraded the pack, told us it all would be ready within the hour. Sky Sports and Movies on almost instantly. Broadband was still at 2mb though. Phoned CS back after 3 hours who said the 10mb is in process and could take up to 24 hours. I asked what was going on and why the STB was still saying stb-mid.cm, and the woman didn't know, so she passed me on to tech support, who told me that the line was 2mb and had no 10mb requests. They told me to tell CS that I've spoken to TS who should put 10mb on the account. Got transferred back to CS who said there were 2 accounts listed at my address, neither of which is at the top of my bill, and that the 10mb hadn't been requested. They told me to ring "Customer Relations" on an 0800 number... Which was unobtainable. Apparently now they have a record that the 4mb STB broadband is awaiting disconnection, and have no record whatsoever that I have an ongoing broadband connection!?

WTF is going on?

We ordered a Cable modem, so I read the instructions and set it up how they told me, and I thought it would automatically think, "right, i'm connected to this house which used to have BB through the STB, I'll just take the settings from the STB and transfer broadband to me, and shut the STB off."

Not so it seems, I have a registered unregistered 2mb broadband account which Virgin do not know about.

Phoned them back to say that the number they gave me didn't work, so they've given me an 0845 number, but it closed at 8...

Now have been given an 0845 which I am going to ring tomorrow, otherwise the CS guy told me that I'd be getting a bill over £100...?

First bad experience with Cable in 8 years, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come!!!!

Nick :(