PDA

View Full Version : [MERGED] 20mb Broadband starting 1st May 07

Radeon
24-03-2007, 10:28
:D :D

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/q2/updates.html

From May 2007, our flagship XL broadband service is going to be twice the speed it used to be - up to a supersonic 20Mb. Although the existing 10Mb service is already four times faster than other industry players1 (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/q2/speed.html#note1), we've decided to step on the gas and double the speed.
That means you'll be able to download an MP3 track in 2 seconds, a full album in less than 30 seconds, or an episode of your favourite TV show in just two and a half minutes. Pretty speedy, eh?
We're even turbo-charging our upload speeds to 768kbps, so you'll be able to send emails or upload photos 50% faster than before.2 (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/q2/speed.html#note2)

TracerTong
24-03-2007, 10:56
Got the letter this morning.
I'm on a Terayon TJ 210 CM (dont laugh) and it's probably gonna cost me £25.00 to upgrade. thanks VM!

Mr Clean
24-03-2007, 10:56
turbo-charging our upload speeds to 768kbps

lmao - thats the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Cobbydaler
24-03-2007, 11:02
Got the letter this morning.
I'm on a Terayon TJ 210 CM (dont laugh) and it's probably gonna cost me £25.00 to upgrade. thanks VM!

If you're capable of fitting it yourself, you won't have to pay.

See this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34258128-post235.html) post...

Nikesh
24-03-2007, 11:34
The Terayon TJ210 isn't capable of 10Mb let alone 20MB so you definitely get a free replacement.

SnoopZ
24-03-2007, 11:46
The Terayon TJ210 isn't capable of 10Mb let alone 20MB so you definitely get a free replacement.

As long as you can install it yourself, although threatening to leave unless they drop the £25 charge would probably sway things a little. :)

NTLVictim
24-03-2007, 11:47
Got my letter this morning, interesting caveat at the bottom of the letter about achievable speeds.

"Internet connection speeds are subject to network capacity and all components operating at optimum speeds"

Refreshingly honest!

Also does this mean the poor sods on 10Meg that are only getting 1 or 2 will see the benefit?

PowerUser
24-03-2007, 11:51
10Mb Down 512K up = upload is 5% of download speed.

20MB Down 768kbps up = upload is 3.5% of download speed.

oh dear. !!:rolleyes:

Still I dont mind 20MB = Mega fun with Binaries

EdwardTobia
24-03-2007, 11:54
768kbps upload is just not enough...the minimum should be 1mbit...:(

Hom3r
24-03-2007, 12:06
Changing from A TJ210 to a NTL:250 is easy.

(Assuiming the the engineer has registered the MAC fro the new 250.

Turn off all eqiupment at mains (inc switch), swap lead from TJ to 250, power up equipment.

I did this myself took 5 mins.

Zee
24-03-2007, 12:10
That upload speed is so aweful...

...If you feel this upload speed is poor, perhaps you should let them know

http://help2.virginmedia.com/assets/html/customer_feedback/customer_feedback_querytype_1.html

Nikesh
24-03-2007, 12:11

Agree. :) :tu:

I bet they will give a 1Mb upload to the 50Mb service! :Yikes:

NTLVictim
24-03-2007, 12:35
Have they started testing the 100Mb service yet?

Paul
24-03-2007, 12:40
768kbps upload is just not enough...the minimum should be 1mbit...:(Not enough for what ?

xspeedyx
24-03-2007, 12:47
You know you bitch and moan bout the speeds so why stay name me one more adsl/dsl provider that can deffo give u a upload speed higher than 512k for definate

janipewter
24-03-2007, 12:52
We got the letter this morning. Can't wait!

Stop It
24-03-2007, 12:59

Not enough for what ?

Exactly my thoughts, my upload on bt (I moved to a non ntl/VM area, boo) is 448k, and the upload on sky 16meg is 768k, that is well enough, 448k is even enough to manage to stream most video online, which I do using Orb between my PC and Wii, so 768k should be marvelous.

Numenor
24-03-2007, 13:03
You know you bitch and moan bout the speeds so why stay name me one more adsl/dsl provider that can deffo give u a upload speed higher than 512k for definate

https://www.bethere.co.uk/

What do I win?

slowcoach
24-03-2007, 13:16
If you read the letter carefully only the price is going up on May 1st, and from May onwards they are rolling out a program to increase the speed, now to me "from May onwards" could mean anything and in the meantime they are charging extra but not giving you anything extra.
Then some people will be delayed while they wait for their new modem, judging from the forum there will be a hell of a lot of modems to ship/install that's when you finally find someone at CS that actually books you one out, I can see a lot of people waiting for modems that do not arrive and consequently lines will be busy and you will not be able to get through.

Always the optimist :D

DeanSupreme uk
24-03-2007, 13:34
Would have much prefered 1meg upload for my xboxlive as i host a lot..Saying that i can host 12 now so with the extra upload should be able to do 16 now.

TracerTong
24-03-2007, 13:48
If you're capable of fitting it yourself, you won't have to pay.

See this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34258128-post235.html) post...Thanks for that :)
If this actually holds up, good on VM!!!
I'll definately be installing it myself then.

idi banashapan
24-03-2007, 15:19
got my letter this morning too... sweet

XFS03
24-03-2007, 16:30
If you read the letter carefully only the price is going up on May 1st, and from May onwards they are rolling out a program to increase the speed, now to me "from May onwards" could mean anything and in the meantime they are charging extra but not giving you anything extra...
Yep. I noticed that as well.

I know that £2 per month isn't much, but at some point a limit is reached where it becomes unaffordable. I was quite happy with 10Mb, it very rarely gave me problems, but for me £37 per month is just too much for any internet service, no matter what the speed.

I have enjoyed my 10Mb, but I will have to downgrade to 4Mb before 1st May. :(

Nikesh
24-03-2007, 17:14
I have enjoyed my 10Mb, but I will have to downgrade to 4Mb before 1st May. :(

Hopefully, they will upgrade 4Mb to 10Mb by the end of this year.

pagdodd
24-03-2007, 18:17
Can anybody tell me if my Webstar EPC2100 series can do 20mb please?

popper
24-03-2007, 22:47
Can anybody tell me if my Webstar EPC2100 series can do 20mb please?

after doing a search on here it doesnt seem likely for that 'Webstar EPC2100' modem, people are having problems just getting 4 and 10 mbit it seems.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/search.php?searchid=1587936

XFS03
25-03-2007, 09:36
Hopefully, they will upgrade 4Mb to 10Mb by the end of this year.
It would seem to make sense if they do. The gap between 4 Mb & 20 Mb is too big. There needs to be something in between.

pagdodd
25-03-2007, 10:13
after doing a search on here it doesnt seem likely for that 'Webstar EPC2100' modem, people are having problems just getting 4 and 10 mbit it seems.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/search.php?searchid=1587936

Thanks for the info, I think I should be making a call to our friends at Telewest *ahem* I mean, Virgi:) n.

janipewter
25-03-2007, 14:49
https://www.bethere.co.uk/

What do I win?

Nothing...look at the availability of Be, it only covers like the 3 biggest cities in England. Look at VM however, their network covers the majority of the UK.

TraxData
25-03-2007, 15:21
Nothing...look at the availability of Be, it only covers like the 3 biggest cities in England. Look at VM however, their network covers the majority of the UK.

Point being? they still provide nice fast upload speeds and no matter the distance from your exchange ur pretty much guarenteed those upload speeds, i enjoy having 2.5mbit upload with Be, and yes i use it all quite often, xboxlive, webcam, torrents, everything.

768k up is bloody stupid in this day and age.

Rik
25-03-2007, 16:42
Extra £2 for another 10MB Downstream and 256K Up!

Bargain of the century!!

Well done VM, now upgrade Hertfordshire first! ;)

PS My birthday is on 23rd May :)

Horace
25-03-2007, 17:05

I had no idea my little town in the North East was categorized as a big city.

Hex
25-03-2007, 17:27
no matter the distance from your exchange ur pretty much guarenteed those upload speeds, i enjoy having 2.5mbit upload with Be

Are you sure about that, no matter the distance?

TraxData
25-03-2007, 17:29
Are you sure about that, no matter the distance?

Yes im sure, distance effects downstream indeed, but ive seen connections rather far from the exchange with a poor downstream but still 2.5mbit up.

Hex
25-03-2007, 17:38
Makes Be* more tempting, but seeing as I couldn't get more than 6mb down with the lines here, I'll stick to good old reliable NTL/VM.

RXP
25-03-2007, 17:57
That's interesting, 2.5mbit upload is very tempting.

greatcapp
25-03-2007, 19:03
Yes im sure, distance effects downstream indeed, but ive seen connections rather far from the exchange with a poor downstream but still 2.5mbit up.

I changed my Be unlimited (1.3 Up) to their new Pro package (2.5 up) and my upload didn't improve at all. So i've now changed back.
To get the full 2.5 (or near it) you need to be within about 1km of the exchange.

Gareth
25-03-2007, 19:28
Nothing...look at the availability of Be, it only covers like the 3 biggest cities in England. Look at VM however, their network covers the majority of the UK.That's not true... I live in Swindon, which is hardly the epicentre of the universe, and to make matters worse, I live in the burbs rather than the town centre. However, I could get Be in April 2007 if I wanted it.

As it happens, I'm gonna be sticking with NTL rather than going to ADSL as my BB has been fantastically reliable.

I'd be interested to know if NTL are going to be still offering the 10Mb package but at a reduced price. Although 20Mb will be very nice (and I'll probably test it out for a little while once it's gone live) I'd prefer to have a reduction in price and keep my 10Mb line to be honest.

Nikesh
25-03-2007, 20:26
It would seem to make sense if they do. The gap between 4 Mb & 20 Mb is too big. There needs to be something in between.

Yeah, definitely agree. :)

ecksmen
25-03-2007, 20:40
Yeah, definitely agree. :)

Well, I for one have not received any letter, or any communication from VM to say that my 10Mbps connection will be changing. I personnally do not really want the 20Mbps, 10Mbps is more than enough for my needs. If they just assume I'll want faster and have to pay more for it, then they really can go jump and will be getting a savere phone call from me should they attempt to take more than my current agreement with them from my bank account.

I'd like to stay on 10Mbps for a reduced rate. In theory 20Mbps would be great, but I highly doubt I'd get anything more than I do on my current 10Mbps as it's not currently able to meet the 10Mbps, so altering the config file IMO is doing to do sod all.

Grrr I hate companies assuming you'd want their new packages.

SnoopZ
25-03-2007, 20:45
Well, I for one have not received any letter, or any communication from VM to say that my 10Mbps connection will be changing. I personnally do not really want the 20Mbps, 10Mbps is more than enough for my needs. If they just assume I'll want faster and have to pay more for it, then they really can go jump and will be getting a savere phone call from me should they attempt to take more than my current agreement with them from my bank account.

I'd like to stay on 10Mbps for a reduced rate. In theory 20Mbps would be great, but I highly doubt I'd get anything more than I do on my current 10Mbps as it's not currently able to meet the 10Mbps, so altering the config file IMO is doing to do sod all.

Grrr I hate companies assuming you'd want their new packages.

I'd rather not pay the extra 48pence a week but i'd like the 20mbit speed although i definately don't need it, so if they do upgrade the 4mbit to 10mbit in the future i'd probably downgrade and save myself £12 a month.

I wouldn't want anything less than 10mbit though as i think it's a nice speed to have when you download a large amount (5gig) at a time.

Uncle Peter
26-03-2007, 20:57
Cor those Linux distro mirrors are going to get hit hard eh ;)

peanut
26-03-2007, 21:04
Cor those Linux distro mirrors are going to get hit hard eh ;)

Course they are, I mean what's the point in having this kind of speed? To browse and collect emails? :p:

Paul H
26-03-2007, 21:43
Not going to get anywhere near that speed so what's the point or who cares.

How's that for faith in Virgin Media? :shocked:

SnoopZ
26-03-2007, 22:30
I'm likely to get that speed.

peanut
26-03-2007, 22:40
I would like to know that IF I can get it, can I use it, how much can I use it, when can I use it etc etc etc. If I can't use it as quoted then what's the point of it.

I can't see the need the of 20mb, after all there's nothing that can't wait using 10mb at full speed.

I hope it's not a pointless promotional stunt to get one over other ISPs, if they can't supply 10mb to a lot of customers, what will 20mb be like, will it be better for all or will it make everything worse and things buckle under the strain? If people cane it and things slow up/shaped, it's not the fault of those but it's the fault of VM for making it the way it is.

Ok £2 extra might not seem a lot, but I don't really need 20mb, so if it goes up anymore, then that's my limit and it's just not viable, I will be downgrading.

Who knows what's going to happen, just got to wait till it happens and see how it goes.

Besides, this thread is the same as all the other 20mb ones, but there's my tuppence worth anyway.

AntiSilence
26-03-2007, 22:42
I'd rather they concentrated on getting all the over-subscribed UBR's sorted and to be able to provide everyone with 10Mb, before whizzing off down the 20Mb and 50Mb roads.

Paul H
26-03-2007, 23:10
I'd rather they concentrated on getting all the over-subscribed UBR's sorted and to be able to provide everyone with 10Mb, before whizzing off down the 20Mb and 50Mb roads.

That is exactly the problem they should be looking at first. I think this 20Mb is the thing that's going to be the straw that breaks the company's back. The only speeds they will have available are 2/4/20 Mb and because the 20Mb will put more strain on an already over stressed, over subscribed network. The criticisms and complaints will not do them any good as those who were interested in the faster than SKY but only by numbers connection, will only see the 4 Mb as an alternative which is way too low.

Thinking about this now, has there ever been an ISP where the customers question and doubt the ISPs ability to provide faster speeds?

Paul
26-03-2007, 23:35
Not going to get anywhere near that speed so what's the point or who cares.I'm quite confident I will get that speed :)

---------- Post added at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

I'd rather they concentrated on getting all the over-subscribed UBR's sorted and to be able to provide everyone with 10Mb, before whizzing off down the 20Mb and 50Mb roads.They are upgrading ubr's as part of the rollout, but upgrades are always a never ending process, and in some areas the problems are more far reaching than a few ubr upgrades will cure, that doesn't mean the rest of the country has to be held back.

cimt
26-03-2007, 23:41
VM are upgrading most stuff to make the service better. I am thinking of updating mine to 20MB when it happens. I'm on 4MB atm coz parents said we were paying £25 a month and they said we were on 2MB, I checked the site and it was 4.... So I think I will probs get the speed put up if I put the extra money. I think it will be a good fast service as VM will be trying to work on getting more servers done so that all the customers are spread out so that it keeps the servers likely to break to a minimum if you get what I mean.

pugs
27-03-2007, 00:17
Its all a publicity stunt.

Yes they will be rolling out 20 meg FROM the 1st of May but only in areas that they think will support it. Its likely to take years for all areas to support 10meg let alone 20meg.

My UBR is being upgraded soon but even then its highly unlikely they will attempt to give people 20meg because its a densely populated area, and my feelings when i was told this.....thank god.

Everyone out there that has a rock solid 10meg connection.....be careful what you wish for.

---------- Post added at 00:17 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

I'm quite confident I will get that speed :)

---------- Post added at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

They are upgrading ubr's as part of the rollout, but upgrades are always a never ending process, and in some areas the problems are more far reaching than a few ubr upgrades will cure, that doesn't mean the rest of the country has to be held back.

Talk about "I'm alright jack".

Do you not think VM should be concentrating all of their resources on delivering a quality service to all first.

Chucky
27-03-2007, 00:46
Is this change likely to have an effect on any of the other packages they offer? I mean will the 2mb & 4mb connections stay the same, or will they be increased also.

Paul H
27-03-2007, 01:29
Is this change likely to have an effect on any of the other packages they offer? I mean will the 2mb & 4mb connections stay the same, or will they be increased also.

They can't afford to increase the speeds of 2 and 4Mb, they can't have 20Mb and 10Mb all going at once. everything will just grind to a halt.
Just sign the suicide note and upgrade to 20Mb.

Give SKY a laugh.

RXP
27-03-2007, 07:45
I'd like 20mbit, but come to think of it it's not very useful. Firstly you get shaped (understandably) at prime time when you download. So the idea of using usenet as a virtual video on demand service isn't really feasable, since you'd get shaped if you try and download at prime time. Whatever I want, even if it's a large Blu-ray image, I can grab overnight with 10mbit.

More I think of it, I'll prolly end up down-grading and save money, unless the upload goes up. I've already got the free Sky package, if I downgrade Virgin to £25/mo, I could even upgrade Sky to full speed and my total BB cost would be £35 and use connection teaming.

Logan
27-03-2007, 11:24
Personally the upload speed I could care less about. But £2 increase for 10mb more - I can't complain, I won't complain! :D

Just hope Northamptonshire is high up the priority list :P

JAY1102
27-03-2007, 15:35
Point being? they still provide nice fast upload speeds and no matter the distance from your exchange ur pretty much guarenteed those upload speeds, i enjoy having 2.5mbit upload with Be, and yes i use it all quite often, xboxlive, webcam, torrents, everything.

768k up is bloody stupid in this day and age.

hi m8. can u plz tell me how i can get a 2.5mb upload speed ur even 1mb. i am with ntl on a 10mb my upload speed is 60kbs max, like u m8 i need it 4 torrents and stuff can u plz help me out thx.

Hex
27-03-2007, 16:03
hi m8. can u plz tell me how i can get a 2.5mb upload speed ur even 1mb. i am with ntl on a 10mb my upload speed is 60kbs max, like u m8 i need it 4 torrents and stuff can u plz help me out thx.

On a residential cable connection, you can't. TraxData was referring to an ADSL2 suppler called Be* who offer 2.5mbit upload with their top package. Dependant on conditions as always of course.

Rik
27-03-2007, 19:08
Well, I for one have not received any letter, or any communication from VM to say that my 10Mbps connection will be changing

You're not getting the upgrade because you downloaded too many Linux ISOs this month! ;)

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

Im quite happy for them to go ahead with 20Meg in my area.

My 10MB has been absolutely fantastic, always full speed, no traffic shaping (YET) and im pretty sure when 20Meg arrives that will be excellent as well.

I reckon the majority of 10Meg user's feel like me, its just more people complain on here than praise VM for their 10MB Service.

Hex
27-03-2007, 21:31

My 10MB has been absolutely fantastic, always full speed, no traffic shaping (YET) and im pretty sure when 20Meg arrives that will be excellent as well.

I reckon the majority of 10Meg user's feel like me, its just more people complain on here than praise VM for their 10MB Service.

^ Ditto.

Hom3r
27-03-2007, 21:45

Double ditto

I cannot understand why people are moaning about a double speed increase for a mere £2PM

SnoopZ
27-03-2007, 21:50
Double ditto

I cannot understand why people are moaning about a double speed increase for a mere £2PM

Same here as it's only 48 pence a week.

BritishGent
28-03-2007, 15:11
You're not getting the upgrade because you downloaded too many Linux ISOs this month! ;)

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

Roll on the speed upgrade, for a mere £2 PM it is a small price to pay for such an upgrade.
Today i saw my speed spike @ 17Mbps so looks like grimsby is capable!
Well done VM

dcclanuk
28-03-2007, 15:24
Double ditto

Same here as it's only 48 pence a week.

Roll on the speed upgrade, for a mere £2 PM it is a small price to pay for such an upgrade.
Today i saw my speed spike @ 17Mbps so looks like grimsby is capable!
Well done VM

maybe because £35 is already overpriced for the 10mb at the moment, people are complaining! butttt having said that, there are some VERY VERY VERY GOOD offers coming on the 1st of May, which are similar u could say to those the retention dept is handing out! the source is VERY RELIABLE, and i think the date 1st may is correct aswell.... people are in for a [pleasant] surprise lol...;)

edit: the person said that the 2/4mb upgrades are not true, since if they were, he WOULD know about it... but they could happen later on in the year!!!

Paul H
28-03-2007, 15:30
butttt having said that, there are some VERY VERY VERY GOOD offers coming on the 1st of May, which are similar u could say to those the retention dept is handing out! the source is VERY RELIABLE, and i think the date 1st may is correct aswell.... people are in for a [pleasant] surprise lol...;)

LOL I remember when there were supposed to be some VERY VERY VERY GOOD offers coming to coincide with the day of the rebrand too. :erm: :erm: Now there's some more VERY VERY VERY GOOD offers coming again you say? :erm: :erm: :erm:

Someone remind me what the other VERY VERY VERY GOOD offers were, I can't remember them! :Yikes:

Edit:
They changed the TV packages and done away with some of the main SKY channels.
They improved customer service, now they take forever to answer a phone and weeks to reply to webmail. If they reply at all.

dcclanuk
28-03-2007, 15:39
LOL I remember when there were supposed to be some VERY VERY VERY GOOD offers coming to coincide with the day of the rebrand too. :erm: :erm: Now there's some more VERY VERY VERY GOOD offers coming again you say? :erm: :erm: :erm:

Someone remind me what the other VERY VERY VERY GOOD offers were, I can't remember them! :Yikes:

Edit:
They changed the TV packages and done away with some of the main SKY channels.
They improved customer service, now they take forever to answer a phone and weeks to reply to webmail. If they reply at all.

I am PM'ing u one of the offers... from that u can tell me whether u think it is good or not! Assuming my source is correct... which I know he is:disturbd:

edit: PM sent... reply in here.. and dont post that offer in these [or any] forums.... [please]

Paul H
28-03-2007, 16:00
I am PM'ing u one of the offers... from that u can tell me whether u think it is good or not! Assuming my source is correct... which I know he is:disturbd:

edit: PM sent... reply in here.. and dont post that offer in these [or any] forums.... [please]

I can't see it happening mate, not when they've already announced that the 20Mb broadband is going to be £37 on it's own, and that is happening in May too.
The offer you're saying that's coming will contaradict what they've already told everyone is happening, and already given a stated price for it too.
:)

dcclanuk
28-03-2007, 16:06
I can't see it happening mate, not when they've already announced that the 20Mb broadband is going to be £37 on it's own, and that is happening in May too.
The offer you're saying that's coming will contaradict what they've already told everyone is happening, and already given a stated price for it too.
:)

considering retentions is giving the NOW 10mb for £17.50, I think its possible;)... anyway, enough sed... wait till 1st May, or 2nd... i dunno if they announce things on a sunday...

slowcoach
28-03-2007, 23:40
The flyer I had pushed through last week states:
Talk Weekends size M £11 month
Talk Evenings and Weekends size L £14.95 month
Talk Unlimited size XL £20.95 month

And no mention of 1 hour per call limit, or Broadband for that matter.

looselipsuk
06-04-2007, 15:35
Well it is now April 6th and still no news on the Virgin update site on the pending schedule for the speed upgrades.
At the moment we are all in the dark as to which area and when the work will take place and there is only 3 weeks to go till it is supposed to start.

SnoopZ
06-04-2007, 16:00
It's just a case of waiting and if they upgrade 4mbit to 10mbit i'll downgrade back to 10.

vinny218
06-04-2007, 16:22
Spoke to a Virgin manager today, who told me the 20Mb upgrade will be free to me being a VIP package subscriber. Don't know about anyone else's package.

SnoopZ
06-04-2007, 16:38
It's free to everyone on 10mbit apart from the £2 price increase.

Locky
06-04-2007, 23:25
so it isnt free then ? :P

SnoopZ
07-04-2007, 12:04
so it isnt free then ? :P

Well the price is going up anyway for 10mbit but atleast they didn't increase it to £45 a month.

ecksmen
07-04-2007, 13:15
If the price of 10Mb comes down to sub £20, then IMO wouldn't it be better to pay for two connections (10Mb x 2) and just buy a router which offers dual wan / load balancing. Other than the cost of the router, you'd be better off in Packet shaping via ntl (you'd appear as two customers vs 1 heavy downloader) and you'd get a 1Mb upload.

yer nice one
07-04-2007, 13:28
£37 or £37.99 is a very good price considering 90% of people will get close to the full 20mb -

I remember a few years back when I was paying £50 a month for a 1mb(NTL) connection - and back then(2002/3) this was amazing.. now 5 years down the road and we have 20mb, 2Mbit per second.

Every time NTL/Virgin to an upgarde it has allways paid off, The 20mb service will no doubt bring in more broadband users, which over time, users may take other packages aswell, creating more revenue.

Well done Virgin/NTL - The number~1! for UK Broadband.

RXP
07-04-2007, 14:48
They don't install two lines to the same house IIRC. I was thinking of doing something similar combining Sky and Virgin. However, Sky have told me that my area is oversubscribed so I cant go on the max package.

DieDieMyDarling
07-04-2007, 14:56
£37 or £37.99 is a very good price considering 90% of people will get close to the full 20mb -

I remember a few years back when I was paying £50 a month for a 1mb(NTL) connection - and back then(2002/3) this was amazing.. now 5 years down the road and we have 20mb, 2Mbit per second.

Every time NTL/Virgin to an upgarde it has allways paid off, The 20mb service will no doubt bring in more broadband users, which over time, users may take other packages aswell, creating more revenue.

Well done Virgin/NTL - The number~1! for UK Broadband.
I'd be very surprised if even 50% of people are getting the full 10mb now, so i'd imagine a lot less would achieve full 20mb speeds come May/June. It's great that VM/ntl/telewest have pushed the speeds higher, and for anyone able to get decent speeds it's no doubt a great service for a decent price, but there's always been a problem with oversubscription and always will be. A lot of people just wish they'd put the money/time/effort into upgrading all the networks to a place where the 10mb service was acceptable to everyone, rather than doubling the speeds for PR.

Having said that, i'm on 10mb and can achieve about 7mb speeds, so if on 20mb i was able to get say 15mb, i'd be quite happy. :D

Locky
07-04-2007, 17:36
i am on 10, get 10, bring on 20 !, and 50% is too low would be at lesat 80% probably more who can achieve full speeds

Cobbydaler
07-04-2007, 18:08
Double ditto

Well I'll be moaning if people will be getting 20mb for £37 while I'm still paying £25 for 4mb...

SnoopZ
07-04-2007, 18:17
Well I'll be moaning if people will be getting 20mb for £37 while I'm still paying £25 for 4mb...

My guess is 4mbit will be upgraded to 10mbit later this year.

Nikesh
07-04-2007, 18:26
My guess is 4mbit will be upgraded to 10mbit later this year.

I reckon that will happen too, we'll have to wait and see... :)

downquark1
07-04-2007, 19:10
I'm curious how ADSL companies are going to compete with this. ADSL2+ seems to be rather 'moody' and I'm not sure people are going to like getting a second rate service simply because they are further from the exchange.

What's the next step ADSL3? Or a rewiring of the phone lines.

Cobbydaler
07-04-2007, 19:11
Well, Alex Brown has said there are 'no plans' in the newsgroups...

Other than the 10Mb to 20Mb uplift already announced, there are
currently no plans to make any other changes to the speeds of our
broadband access tiers for cable customersIf the 20mb uplift goes ahead then I for one will be on to retentions to get the price I pay for 4mb reduced...

RXP
07-04-2007, 19:54
The next step in ADSL tech is BT's 21cn. They'll have DSLAM's much closer to people's homes so the full 24mbit ADSL2 can be delievered into the majority of people's homes. Cable is always going to be better, lets hope the network can get its upload sorted too.

Hex
07-04-2007, 20:24
The next step in ADSL tech is BT's 21cn.

21CN eh?

19/10/2006 BT have set a target date of Q4 2010 for the switch to 21CN for this exchange

^My local exchange, so I don't think I'll hold my breath for that one.
In the meantime, roll on 20mbit. And even if they haven't made plans to upgrade the lower tiers yet, it's a pretty safe bet they will during this year.

Rik
07-04-2007, 20:40
If the price of 10Mb comes down to sub £20, then IMO wouldn't it be better to pay for two connections (10Mb x 2) and just buy a router which offers dual wan / load balancing. Other than the cost of the router, you'd be better off in Packet shaping via ntl (you'd appear as two customers vs 1 heavy downloader) and you'd get a 1Mb upload.

If only it were that easy.

popper
07-04-2007, 21:38
Originally Posted by ecksmen http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33611043-20mb-broadband-starting-1st-may-07-a-post-34269731.html#post34269731)

If only it were that easy.

this is true :(

who was it inside exC&W/NTL that said its ok to have the customers get upto 3 STBs (that dont, we are told, make that much profit) but you cant have more than one fully working and active (STB)cable modem on you account, crazy.

think of all the ex C&W/NTL users that have both a stand alone CM and an unused internal samsung CM that could be used for an extra user connection and no need for VM to even issue more kit as its already there and powered up, give us the option to have a second discounted connection, and its reasonable that many will take up that option, i would... would YOU?.

while buying a load balancing router might be an option , you dont even need that for your average user to be happy, they can just plug one connection in each machine (dad's machine on the 20mbit NTL250, everyone else on the 4 Mbit STB CM LOL).

the Linux guys can just get a load balancing liveCD and boot a old server box with 3 lan cards in it and be happy.

Locky
07-04-2007, 21:50
I reckon that will happen too, we'll have to wait and see... :)

i agree it would would be way too much of a gap between and 20, my money is on 2 t 4 and 4 to 10 by the end of the year

DerekRothwell
08-04-2007, 13:24
My modem is a NTL 200 (or so the stickers on it say).
Is this thing capable of handling 20 meg does anyone know?

Nikesh
08-04-2007, 13:25

Yes it's capable of 20Mb. :)

Locky
08-04-2007, 13:39

i am pretty sure the 200+ are more than capable yes

*was late*

DerekRothwell
08-04-2007, 23:08
Thanks chaps

janipewter
08-04-2007, 23:30
What about the Motorola Surfboard SB2400?

DaggaDagga
08-04-2007, 23:39
Well I've just downgraded from 10Mb to 2Mb and have noticed absolutely no difference in everyday use. I don't think any website is designed for >2Mb. Video clips etc work perfectly.

If anything, it seems less prone to hiccups now.

I know others may use P2P etc, but I (and most others) don't. I would doubt they will increase the two lower tiers, as you can already do most things with the lowest tier as they are. They need to keep a reason for customers to upgrade (and pay more). If the tiers were 18Mb, 19Mb and 20Mb then everyone would take the lowest speed.

As the tiers are, cheapskates like me are perfectly happy to save £20 a month, while others are happy to pay more than double for a faster service.

Jonboy
09-04-2007, 01:25
ive come to the conclusion that people are just plain greedy and never satisfied allways want something for nothing

SnoopZ
09-04-2007, 10:46
If the tiers were 18Mb, 19Mb and 20Mb then everyone would take the lowest speed.

As the tiers are, cheapskates like me are perfectly happy to save £20 a month, while others are happy to pay more than double for a faster service.

That's not a very good speed example is it? I personally think it would be good to have tiers at 5mbit, 10mbit and 20mbit and with a very good price structure, although i do admit i'd downgrade back to 10mbit as that's fast enough for me and i'd save £12 a month. When i upgraded from 2mbit to 10mbit i noticed a HUGE difference in speed with webpages loading far quicker and more snappy.

DaggaDagga
09-04-2007, 19:59
That's not a very good speed example is it? I personally think it would be good to have tiers at 5mbit, 10mbit and 20mbit and with a very good price structure, although i do admit i'd downgrade back to 10mbit as that's fast enough for me and i'd save £12 a month. When i upgraded from 2mbit to 10mbit i noticed a HUGE difference in speed with webpages loading far quicker and more snappy.

...and that is my point. Why would they want to spend money upgrading their network if a significant chunk of customers would downgrade, leaving them with less income?

My speed example was intended to be stupid, to make a point.

You can do most things with the cheapskate package (fine by me). But there's still a good reason to upgrade to the other packages. If the base package was 5Mb then a far higher proportion of Virgin's customers would pay them £18 a month instead of £25 or £35.

ADSL is around the same price/performance as cable, so why would they shoot themselves in the foot by increasing all the speeds?

SnoopZ
09-04-2007, 20:22
...and that is my point. Why would they want to spend money upgrading their network if a significant chunk of customers would downgrade, leaving them with less income?

My speed example was intended to be stupid, to make a point.

You can do most things with the cheapskate package (fine by me). But there's still a good reason to upgrade to the other packages. If the base package was 5Mb then a far higher proportion of Virgin's customers would pay them £18 a month instead of £25 or £35.

ADSL is around the same price/performance as cable, so why would they shoot themselves in the foot by increasing all the speeds?

Because everyone else is doing the same, if you stop and don't upgrade the speed then you fall behind everyone else.

DaggaDagga
09-04-2007, 20:31
Because everyone else is doing the same, if you stop and don't upgrade the speed then you fall behind everyone else.

Yes, you're right. But actual real-world ADSL speeds aren't what's claimed, and they've now hit the fundamental limits of the phone line. Plus most people with 2Mb or more are completely happy with it.

Price is where the competition should be from now on.

The speed race will probably almost stop now, until BT get fibre to the home.

homealone
09-04-2007, 20:58
I'm still not sure 'everyone' needs the ultimate speeds.

For an example, tv programmes are a popular download, recently, allegedly ;)

Using a 4Mb connection, it is possible to download the files for an average 45 minute (no adverts) programme in about 15 minutes - if it is already going to take 3 times longer to watch, than download, then why does it need to download faster?? ;) :dozey:

Hex
09-04-2007, 21:02

For an example, tv programs are a popular download, recently, allegedly ;)

Using a 4Mb connection, it is possible to download the files for an average 45 minute (no adverts) programme in about 15 minutes - if it is already going to take 3 times longer to watch, than download, then why does it need to download faster?? ;) :dozey:

Because we live in a society of "now" and "on demand" people want things, and they don't want to wait. You want to buy something? don't have the money? Buy now, pay later. Want to watch your film now? It's on demand so ready for you. People these days are spoilt, I know, I am too. ;)

dcclanuk
09-04-2007, 21:09

3 people in my family, so we need 3 different shows at the same time;)

now that takes 45 mins to dl and 45 mins to watch:)

just kidding:p:

Horizon
09-04-2007, 21:13

Using a 4Mb connection, it is possible to download the files for an average 45 minute (no adverts) programme in about 15 minutes - if it is already going to take 3 times longer to watch, than download, then why does it need to download faster?? ;) :dozey:Because you've still got to download the whole thing before you can watch it. If its a choice (using your calculations) of waiting 15 minutes or 3 minutes, I know what I'd prefer.

In theory, if downloads are much faster this should mean less of a strain on the network. That is until hard drives get even cheaper and larger, then eveyone would pummel their 20mb connections as they do now with the 10mb ones.

homealone
09-04-2007, 21:20
Because we live in a society of "now" and "on demand" people want things, and they don't want to wait. You want to buy something? don't have the money? Buy now, pay later. Want to watch your film now? It's on demand so ready for you. People these days are spoilt, I know, I am too. ;)

I'm all for availability of services, I'm just not sure I need to subscribe to the, absolute, cutting edge, when I want to join in :)

- ok, tv programs was a niche example, but downloading them 10x faster than you could watch them would only increase the number of ones you hadn't watched?

Which I don't see as a significant advantage over downloading them 3x faster than you can watch, tbh?

- if you see what I mean? :)

Jonboy
09-04-2007, 22:46
you are all in the more youm have the more you want none of you will ever be satisfied with what you are getting inc me we are all greedy pigs
and i dont see that ever changeing now unless we have another war and start again

Rik
09-04-2007, 23:31
Im greedy and I want 20MB, but I dont want it for nothing like one person posted on this thread.

Im quite happy to pay for it.

HenrysCat
15-04-2007, 17:28
I had a Virgin engineer round yesterday to install a box in another room. I asked him about the rollout for 20Mb and he said I'd be getting it at the beginning of May (I live in NW Kent) and that Virgin would be pushing out 50 Mb by the end of the year. Can't wait!

At the moment if I max out my connection (for example using a newsgroup reader with 32 threads) I can download at 1.3 Mb/s... I'm already drooling at the thought of 5 times that!

Hex
15-04-2007, 17:41
At the moment if I max out my connection (for example using a newsgroup reader with 32 threads) I can download at 1.3 Mb/s... I'm already drooling at the thought of 5 times that!

32 threads? Even just using the NTL Usenet servers, 1 thread provides me with 800kbps+ So 2 is enough to max out my 10mb. Which Usenet hosting company are you with?

SnoopZ
15-04-2007, 18:12
I have to use around 15 threads to maxout my 10mbit on newshosting, but atleast i can max it out.

HenrysCat
15-04-2007, 19:50
To be honest I don't actually know how many it actually takes to max it out, all threads are turned on by default and I have never experimented. Maybe I should...

Bill C
15-04-2007, 19:53
4 threads with Giganews :)

Hex
15-04-2007, 20:00
You mean to say the free servers provided by NTL are actually faster than your average pay-per-host server farm? :shocked:

Tho that being said the reliability is rather flaky at times, so I'll probably be after a Giganews subscription in the not too distant future.

Bill C
15-04-2007, 20:12
You mean to say the free servers provided by NTL are actually faster than your average pay-per-host server farm? :shocked:

Tho that being said the reliability is rather flaky at times, so I'll probably be after a Giganews subscription in the not too distant future.

Trust me Giganews rocks :)

homealone
15-04-2007, 20:23

I see retention has gone up to 120 days :tu:

HenrysCat
15-04-2007, 20:24
I use Easynews, have done for about 10 years now. Can't fault them, and from what I can see they're cheaper and provide more bandwidth than Giganews. I don't know much about Giganews, having never used them, so I can't make much of a comparison. But I pay $9.99 for 1 month or 20 Gb, and any unused bandwidth gets rolled over indefinitely - I currently have over 90 Gb stored up.

Might be worth checking out before you sign up with Giganews ;)

RXP
15-04-2007, 20:41
UNS works great with Virgin. $15 a month for 101 days + SSL. Giganews really isn't worth double the price for just 19 days extra retention.

Bill C
15-04-2007, 22:56
I use Easynews, have done for about 10 years now. Can't fault them, and from what I can see they're cheaper and provide more bandwidth than Giganews. I don't know much about Giganews, having never used them, so I can't make much of a comparison. But I pay $9.99 for 1 month or 20 Gb, and any unused bandwidth gets rolled over indefinitely - I currently have over 90 Gb stored up.

Might be worth checking out before you sign up with Giganews ;)

I pay giganews $19.99 for unlimited usage and can hit 400 gig in a month. I always download after midnight and always max at 10 meg with only 4 threads. They have both US and Euro server farms which means you will always get good speeds.

Horace
16-04-2007, 08:39
Hum. Why do we have two threads about the same roll outs in either May or June?

zeus9876
16-04-2007, 09:15
I have the 20mb now....didn't have it last night but have it this morning.

Cable Modem Operation ConfigurationNetwork Access : AllowedMaximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600Maximum Number of CPEs : 1Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

zeus9876
16-04-2007, 09:32
Didn't have it last night but have it this morning.

Cable Modem Operation ConfigurationNetwork Access : AllowedMaximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600Maximum Number of CPEs : 1Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

HenrysCat
16-04-2007, 18:46
I pay giganews $19.99 for unlimited usage and can hit 400 gig in a month. I always download after midnight and always max at 10 meg with only 4 threads. They have both US and Euro server farms which means you will always get good speeds.

Sorry, I know this thread isn't about newsgroups - I just have a question re: this post. The lure of SSL is quite strong, and for $19.99 I might consider it. But are you saying that you pay this every month? According to their site the $19.99 is just for the first month, thenit goes up to $29.99 which is too steep for me, for what I use it for. Have you managed to wangle a deal?

Bill C
16-04-2007, 18:54
Sorry, I know this thread isn't about newsgroups - I just have a question re: this post. The lure of SSL is quite strong, and for $19.99 I might consider it. But are you saying that you pay this every month? According to their site the $19.99 is just for the first month, thenit goes up to $29.99 which is too steep for me, for what I use it for. Have you managed to wangle a deal?

I tried the diamond service and for some reason they have not charged me the full price Since. I think they have made a bit of a mistake with my account. After the trial it should have gone to 24.99 a month as i don't need ssl. However you are right they are a bit expensive and i am looking at moving to another provider. The problem is finding someone cheaper but with the same speed ?

HenrysCat
16-04-2007, 19:19
Ah, I see.

I just looked a little deeper and Easynews do indeed provide SSL at no extra cost, so I'm staying where I am. At $9.99 per month or 20Gb I've got no arguments. They can provide 'unlimited' downloads a month, but you'll pay $9.99 for every 20 Gb - for 400 Gb that's not going to be cheap, so for unlimited Giganews seems a far better deal, even at $29.99!

RXP
16-04-2007, 19:30

UNS has 101 days retention + SSL for $15 a month. Maxes out my 10mbit.

HenrysCat
16-04-2007, 19:56
I don't need unlimited downloads.... I'm coping fine with 20Gb (in fact I have 90Gb rolled over from previoous months). When I start hitting the limit I might look elsewhere, but maybe not UNS. While you may be having a good experience with them, it seems plenty of others are not unfortunately. For an unlimited connection I'm favouring Giganews at the minute.

But let's not hijack this thread with newsgroup discussions ;)

Richy99
16-04-2007, 22:27
UNS has 101 days retention + SSL for $15 a month. Maxes out my 10mbit.

and they do often have issues with their servers

TheOne
18-04-2007, 15:49
But let's not hijack this thread with newsgroup discussions ;)

yeah, still no sign of a schedule http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/q2/speed_rollout.html . LOL

my cable area is not over-subscribed at all, in fact its probably under-subscribed. lol since the exchange is just a few streets away and most of my neighbours are on ADSL BB like BT and the like.
i cant wait to get my hands on 20mb

How come alot of the speed trials are carried out in and around the Essex regions?

blade85
18-04-2007, 23:11
anyone know if the 4 meg service will get any further upgrades anytime this year??

AndrewJ
19-04-2007, 11:59
Right forgive me jumping in here.

I am in Rochdale I have a NTL-200 Silver Modem and I am on 10MB, Will I be able to get 20MB with this modem or should I talk to NTL.

zeus9876
19-04-2007, 12:21
You will be fine with the 200. But i have a 250 and i already have the 20mb and it's working like a charm.

I just dont know why more people haven't reported that they have the 20mb service yet....Surely i cant be the only one.

KillswitchEdge
19-04-2007, 12:34
I currently have a $14.99 per month subscription with Newshosting (http://www.newshosting.com) and I get top speeds almost constantly, even during the day, on 10mb.

They do two different kinds of subscriptions though, one where you pay a set fee + more if you go over your limit, and another where you have unlimited downloads, but can only connect with 1 IP address at once.

Go to their site, click "Services" at the top and the tariffs are at the bottom left corner of the page.

Limited Cost
10G/month (https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/newssignup/signup-new/) $10.00 (https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/newssignup/signup-new/)
Unlimited (45) Cost
Monthly (https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/newssignup/signup-new/) $14.95 (https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/newssignup/signup-new/)
6mo (https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/newssignup/signup-new/) $83.70 (https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/newssignup/signup-new/)
12mo (https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/newssignup/signup-new/) $155.40 (https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/newssignup/signup-new/)
Unlimited (70+) Cost
Monthly (https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/newssignup/signup-new/) $19.95 (https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/newssignup/signup-new/)
6mo (https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/newssignup/signup-new/) $111.69 (https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/newssignup/signup-new/)
12mo (https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/newssignup/signup-new/) $207.37 (https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/newssignup/signup-new/)

I think their system is slightly off though because I'm only on the Monthly Unlimited 45 option and I still get 60+ days retention on some downloads.

Worth checking out though, been with them over two years and I've only seen it down three times and never for more than an hour.

Locky
19-04-2007, 16:46
Right forgive me jumping in here.

I am in Rochdale I have a NTL-200 Silver Modem and I am on 10MB, Will I be able to get 20MB with this modem or should I talk to NTL.

yes

AndrewJ
19-04-2007, 17:00
Thanks I doubt Rochdale will get it till after 1st May, we always tend to be the last :D

Better go check my little NTL:200 :D

Locky
19-04-2007, 17:53
Thanks I doubt Rochdale will get it till after 1st May, we always tend to be the last :D

Better go check my little NTL:200 :D

i am in shaw pal, thinking the same thing

AndrewJ
19-04-2007, 20:18
Sick of the crap net, that I am getting right now :( laggy on games and random drop outs.

coincidence they're upgrading it all?

I think not.

Amadeus
19-04-2007, 22:51
my 10meg has been terrible for a couple of day, 4.6 megs at max, wont go over it just checked the modem root and its changed to 204800000 from 1024.... rebooted modem, same old speed. I presume I have been upgraded but its not making the most of it. Ambit 200 I have any ideas? Am

pooper
20-04-2007, 10:50
I got switched over to 20Mb last night (around 7pm).... speed tests have come up pretty poo, downloads from most sites seem to be stuck at around 200-300k/sec, although i managed to download from the nvidia site @ 1MB/sec... not sure if nvidia have capped that...

Also tried to download the new Ubuntu ISO, again, speeds were pretty flakey.

Not going to judge just yet... lets see how it goes!

jorgehernan
20-04-2007, 11:55
I got switched over to 20Mb last night (around 7pm).... speed tests have come up pretty poo, downloads from most sites seem to be stuck at around 200-300k/sec, although i managed to download from the nvidia site @ 1MB/sec... not sure if nvidia have capped that...

Also tried to download the new Ubuntu ISO, again, speeds were pretty flakey.

Not going to judge just yet... lets see how it goes!

Where are you based just out of interest?

pooper
20-04-2007, 14:28
Where are you based just out of interest?

South East London :P (Kent)

popper
20-04-2007, 14:43
i am in shaw pal, thinking the same thing

i know, its not like wythy is a small place eather,its perhaps VM's largest single cable base, or is it?..., AFAIK no wythy ntl250 reports of people on the 20mbit trial yet, i also have the samsung 2100c and that hasnt had the VM facelift eather, still get the NTL pages.....

Amadeus
20-04-2007, 14:55
Yes i am in the same area, ill test again tonight

Am

jorgehernan
20-04-2007, 18:38
I have also been upgraded. West Wickham, Kent.
Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

ichiban
20-04-2007, 18:51
anyone in Cardiff have 20meg by anychance, waiting for mine to be installed on tuesday :)

byron_hinson
20-04-2007, 18:53
Nothing here in Cambridgeshire yet! damn!

DarkGashX
20-04-2007, 21:15
So lets get this straight. All 20Mb updates are in Kent? Why is it Kent get all trials/upgrades before everywhere else. Not fair at all :(.

Locky
20-04-2007, 21:21
So lets get this straight. All 20Mb updates are in Kent? Why is it Kent get all trials/upgrades before everywhere else. Not fair at all :(.

true ****es me off as well not much we can do about it tho up 2 them tight arses at vm

nomis1804
20-04-2007, 21:22
No it's not fair but they probably have to do mass tests somewhere and it might as well be Kent.

zeus9876
20-04-2007, 21:26
Not true....I live in Swansea and i've been upgraded about a week now to 20mb.

Locky
20-04-2007, 21:26
No it's not fair but they probably have to do mass tests somewhere and it might as well be Kent.

i am guessing the network there is beter than everywere else

Ramrod
20-04-2007, 21:32
South East London :P (Kent)Well I'm in Bexleyheath and I haven't got it yet! :mad: :D

Hom3r
20-04-2007, 21:59
Can somebody tell me please when cambridge is due to start.

Im in Harlow but get my signal from Cambridge

SnoopZ
20-04-2007, 22:04
Can somebody tell me please when cambridge is due to start.

Im in Harlow but get my signal from Cambridge

I'd like to know that too.

popper
20-04-2007, 22:37
well it doesnt become a problem until may 1st, but id still expect some form of trials on all the area's for at least a few people here a mear 12 days before the official date,but it seems not so far...

Hom3r
20-04-2007, 22:42
I know there was a thread for this but I cannot find it that displayed dates

pooper
20-04-2007, 22:43
It's because Kent rocks! Duh :P

Cobbydaler
20-04-2007, 22:46
I know there was a thread for this but I cannot find it that displayed dates

The schedule is supposed to be here (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/q2/speed_rollout.html) but nothing as yet...

popper
20-04-2007, 22:59
not that its really official given some sales, but i asked the local long time VM sales lad in civic yesturday, he sells a hell of a lot of cable contracts in a week on the official info he's given, so will get a lets say a telling off from all of them if he's wrong ( you have to live around here LOL).

anyway his response to the question, when exactly do VM switch on the 20Mbit/s broadband for wythenshawe,
his answer, 1st of may 2007.....

Hom3r
20-04-2007, 23:03
The schedule is supposed to be here (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/q2/speed_rollout.html) but nothing as yet...

Thats not it. Somebody here posted all the date/regions

AndrewJ
21-04-2007, 01:20
They can take my trash out if they do Rochdale.

GARIC BREAD IS THE FUTURE I TELL YA!

mart18
21-04-2007, 01:38

Also in Kent, (Dartford)
and if anything it's even worse than what it was, high ping times, CM signals gone wild, upstream thingy is at 61.0.. stupid upgradin my area already, didn't even handle 10 meg well

AndrewJ
21-04-2007, 04:49
Snag is you get alot of people upgraded in an area and they all hit the speedtests and huge downloads.

ecksmen
21-04-2007, 06:35
Snag is you get alot of people upgraded in an area and they all hit the speedtests and huge downloads.

I wonder just how much faster the internet would be without benchmarks.

Just thinking about all the people sat there benching their connections, all of them fighting for what little bandwidth there is. IMO, ISPs should ban speedtest sites for all the needless traffic they produce.

AndrewJ
21-04-2007, 06:56
Snag is they help locate techincal trouble spots but I agree sites for bandwith benchmarks should limit you to two checks per 24hour period, some people just sit there over and over.

Then again you get people who get upgraded so will jump on the biggest download hunt ever.

lucadam
21-04-2007, 09:27
will they be upping the speed of the vip packs to 20 meg. also what make of modem, and what make of v+ box will i get, installation on tuesday.
thanks

DarkGashX
21-04-2007, 10:38
I would say so as the V.I.P Pack says it includes "XL Broadband" and it is XL that is getting the upgrade.

lucadam
21-04-2007, 10:41
what type of modem will i possibly get

Cobbydaler
21-04-2007, 10:53
what type of modem will i possibly get

This (http://www.ambitbroadband.co.uk/DataSheets/Virgin%20Media%20255%20Data%20Cable%20Modem.pdf) one I should think...

jorgehernan
21-04-2007, 11:55
I got upgraded last night to 20mb, does anybody know why a wireless card bottleneck at 15mb but my wired is the full whack?

dafry
21-04-2007, 12:02
I got upgraded last night to 20mb, does anybody know why a wireless card bottleneck at 15mb but my wired is the full whack?

sorry m8 cant help, but i'm in kent to, would you mind telling me where abouts you are? as i am apparently getting it soon i'm in folkestone.

jorgehernan
21-04-2007, 12:19
Im in West Wickham/S. E London side of kent

dafry
21-04-2007, 12:24
Im in West Wickham/S. E London side of kent

ta for lettin me know, is it running at a good speed? as i have the 10 meg at the mo and am havin probs gettin to 1 meg, they have told me that this is because of work being done from 14th to 21st which COULD be because of the upgrade, did yours go slow just before you got it?

jorgehernan
21-04-2007, 12:30
no my 10mb has always been very good. I power cycled my modem last night just out of curiosity and low and behold I had 20mb. Its been quite good so far.
On my wired Im getting about 18-19mb, but my lappy is on wireless and it maxes out at 15mb.

zeus9876
21-04-2007, 12:34
no my 10mb has always been very good. I power cycled my modem last night just out of curiosity and low and behold I had 20mb. Its been quite good so far.
On my wired Im getting about 18-19mb, but my lappy is on wireless and it maxes out at 15mb.
I'm in Swansea area and i max my connection out at 24meg

jorgehernan
21-04-2007, 12:37

How is that possible when its connected at 20mb?:erm:

zeus9876
21-04-2007, 13:02
not sure but when i was on 10meg i maxed out at 12meg.

Download Failed (1)

Toto
21-04-2007, 13:09

Yep bursts...they are not consistent, but you do get them.

zeus9876
21-04-2007, 13:13
I always max out at 24meg....not just sometimes but all the time...they are not just bursts here

Hex
21-04-2007, 13:58
I always max out at 24meg....not just sometimes but all the time...they are not just bursts here

Are you sure you don't mean 2.4MB/s and 1.2MB/s on your old 10mb. "1mb" is actually 1024kb, multiply this by 10 or 20 and you see you are actually currently getting 20mb, not 24 and previously getting 10mb.

nomis1804
21-04-2007, 14:08
The peak speed in that picture shows 2506kB/s so x8 to get kbit = 20048kb/s then /1024 to get Mbit which = 19.578125Mb/s. So no it isn't 24meg although very nice speeds for 20meg :)

zeus9876
21-04-2007, 14:09
Yeah that'll work also

jommy999
21-04-2007, 18:08
I have also been upgraded. Lewisham, London ,SE13

HowardCanning
21-04-2007, 19:16
Do the modems need to be power-cycled for the upgrades to take effect or does it increase on the fly?

zeus9876
21-04-2007, 19:23
mine was never power cycled for the upgrade to take effect

HowardCanning
21-04-2007, 19:24
I want 20meg now :( Lol

SnoopZ
21-04-2007, 19:36
Do the modems need to be power-cycled for the upgrades to take effect or does it increase on the fly?

It can happen both ways.

Druchii
21-04-2007, 19:40
I wish i had 20Mb now, got a nice 8Gb download of 2 DVD iso's.. Stupid Mandriva :(

ladyboy
21-04-2007, 19:43
I had a Virgin engineer round yesterday to install a box in another room. I asked him about the rollout for 20Mb and he said I'd be getting it at the beginning of May (I live in NW Kent) and that Virgin would be pushing out 50 Mb by the end of the year. Can't wait!

you wont be gettin 50 meg.so dont get to excited.

Bill C
21-04-2007, 19:55
you wont be gettin 50 meg.so dont get to excited.

one word

wrong :)

50 meg is on trial ?

Amadeus
21-04-2007, 20:24
hmm, well I noticed my modem was upgraded on thursday after checking why my max is 4.6meg, today it rose to 5.1, now in the evening it capped at 4.6 meg

anyone else get this? Im in london side of Kent also - and what is this power cycled thing about the modem?

Am

SnoopZ
21-04-2007, 20:29
hmm, well I noticed my modem was upgraded on thursday after checking why my max is 4.6meg, today it rose to 5.1, now in the evening it capped at 4.6 meg

anyone else get this? Im in london side of Kent also - and what is this power cycled thing about the modem?

Am

Turn the modem off wait a few seconds and then on again. :)

hokkers999
21-04-2007, 21:16
I have also been upgraded. Lewisham, London ,SE13

I've got one of the original SB4100's which has given 6 years of faithful service. AFAIK I can't retrieve *that* info from it, all I can get is the s/w load which shows *** BOOTING *** SB4100-0.4.9.4-SCM02-NOSH anyone know how to tell what speed I am set to? I am paying for 10meg. Last time I did a speed test it only got about 5-6 meg but it has been as high as 9.9

ichiban
21-04-2007, 21:26
found this interesting relating to VM's 20 and 50 meg.

Article (http://telebusillis.blogspot.com/2007/03/virgin-media-broadband.html)

Cobbydaler
21-04-2007, 21:42

Interesting article, thanks... :)

DarkGashX
21-04-2007, 21:55
Little off topic but I hear Virgin Media wants to rollout 50Mbit by the end of 2007. Wouldn't that mean they would have to upgrade the network to DOCSIS 3.0?

Cobbydaler
21-04-2007, 21:59
Little off topic but I hear Virgin Media wants to rollout 50Mbit by the end of 2007. Wouldn't that mean they would have to upgrade the network to DOCSIS 3.0?

See the article posted above...

Druchii
21-04-2007, 22:05
I've got one of the original SB4100's which has given 6 years of faithful service. AFAIK I can't retrieve *that* info from it, all I can get is the s/w load which shows *** BOOTING *** SB4100-0.4.9.4-SCM02-NOSH anyone know how to tell what speed I am set to? I am paying for 10meg. Last time I did a speed test it only got about 5-6 meg but it has been as high as 9.9
Do a google search for "docsdiag", run it and look for information through it :)

Rik
21-04-2007, 22:12

You want the best, subscribe to Giganews!

120 day retention and SSL Encryption available.

They have a great selection of Linux ISOs as well :)

3 Threads here to max out 10MB ;)

Amadeus
21-04-2007, 22:14
ok turned modem off then on (power cycled it :) ), but still maxed 4.6 megs seconds, 4th night on trot.....wonder if they testing 20meg rollout, oo hang on just gone to 12 megs second.....must be wroking then

DarkGashX
21-04-2007, 22:16
See the article posted above...

So that is a yes then. Hmm DOCSIS 3 by Xmas... Good luck VM :).

danielbanks
21-04-2007, 23:09
Anyone know if Jarrow is upgraded yet. Anyone in the North East should be able to say.

BR

Dan

hokkers999
22-04-2007, 01:19
Do a google search for "docsdiag", run it and look for information through it :)

found that downloaded it, will need to play around a bit as pc is behind a nat'ing h/w router. Can't "find" the cm, need to decide if it's worth rewiring the network for :-)

Druchii
22-04-2007, 01:21
found that downloaded it, will need to play around a bit as pc is behind a nat'ing h/w router. Can't "find" the cm, need to decide if it's worth rewiring the network for :-)
Just disable the SPI firewall on the router, your local firewall should be able to take the slack for a minute surely? That's what i had to do :)

pooper
22-04-2007, 11:48
loving my speed :D x1000

janipewter
22-04-2007, 11:59
I don't understand, why are they already rolling it out before they've even posted the rollout schedule?

AndrewJ
22-04-2007, 12:02
Anyone in the Manchester/Rochdale area done

gc7
22-04-2007, 17:04
Is there a rollout schedule anywhere? I've looked but couldn't find anything.

Nedkelly
22-04-2007, 17:08
There must be some where i dont think come the 1st of may everyone on 10 meg will go upto 20 .Some areas where the ubrs a at capacity could not take it :Yikes:

Cobbydaler
22-04-2007, 17:13
Is there a rollout schedule anywhere? I've looked but couldn't find anything.

It's supposed to be on the VM website here (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/q2/speed_rollout.html), but nothing as yet...

popper
22-04-2007, 18:33

Tech questions:
(move it into a new Tech 20Mbit+ thread if you want):

perhaps the New Vm Tech posters will contribute and bring more tech threads here?.

it gives an overview and insight into the workings of VM and the
capex ? seems to give an indication that better Cooperative thinking needs to apply in the 20Mbit+ future.

"One thing that was also stated and stressed in the conference call was that capex was expected to remain constant compared to 2006 (approx. £575m) for the foreseeable future. Given that capex covers software, such as the back office integration projects and maintenance capex such as normal wear and tear and upgrade of kit – I really doubt that Virgin Media have much more than £300m available for new projects, such as network expansion and new services."

OC given the No's are his suposition (how acurate are they and the outline ?.VM Techs?, Ned etc)it also seem that my proposal that VM turn on Multicasting all the way to the end users still seems like the best option to both grow end Uk developer innovation and save bandwidth.

VM might even go as far as thinking about housing and encuraging sponsored multicasting developers servers on the core UK VM network, to save vast amounts of precious bandwidth, this is a very good way to save long term cash in Cooperation with the extending open code standards and developers.

"If we take DOCSIS 2.0 as an example which uses a 36-meg shared pipe of a 6MHz channel, the calculation of peak hour bandwidth required is:

• Homes passed * Broadband Penetration * Peak Hours Percentage * Average Download = Bandwidth RequiredOr as a worked example:

• 50,000 Home Passed * 0.4 Penetration * 1 in 15 using * 20kb/sec = 27-meg which fits quite nicely in a 36-meg pipe.It is pretty obvious to see why any network operator hates p2p traffic which consistently uses bandwidth throughout the day even when a human is not present at the computer and also finds video streaming at high bandwidth expensive to deliver."

"Of course, 1-gig would involve bonding around 28 channels (6MHz) at 36-meg each which is around 168MHz of capacity. This brings us back to the Steve Burch comment that he had 650MHz of frequency available - well, I just don’t believe that he has around 650MHz of capacity available. Perhaps if every network was digital only with limited TV channels, but frequency usage of cable networks is a story for another day."

i not sure im convinced that a 6MHz 36meg pipe will always be the standard, but i dont really know enough about that to really comment, the other DVB platforms also use it so perhaps again some of the new VM tech's can enlighten us?.

this was in interesting related artical http://blog.ipdev.net/2007/04/problem-is-also-how-to-route-packets.html linked from the reg too.

cage
05-05-2007, 12:27
According to Virgin's update, my area is complete for 20mb :) Ive rebooted my modem but I'm still only 10mb, I've only tested speed with a newsgroup download) not sure if there is a better way to test ?

Also, i think it may be my modem, I have a Surfboard SB4100 which has served me well but I dont think it can do 20mbit.

Anyone shed some light ?

SnoopZ
05-05-2007, 13:51
According to Virgin's update, my area is complete for 20mb :) Ive rebooted my modem but I'm still only 10mb, I've only tested speed with a newsgroup download) not sure if there is a better way to test ?

Also, i think it may be my modem, I have a Surfboard SB4100 which has served me well but I dont think it can do 20mbit.

Anyone shed some light ?

Click the Speed Test link at the top of this forum.

Bat21UK
05-05-2007, 14:13
hi iam in southend-on-Sea no 20 meg here yet does anyoune no when as it does not show on vm web page
cable.ubr01.sout.blueyonder.co.uk

Zee
05-05-2007, 14:25
hi iam in southend-on-Sea no 20 meg here yet does anyoune no when as it does not show on vm web page
cable.ubr01.sout.blueyonder.co.uk

Yours says TBC, so it could be this month, or anytime over the summer

Bat21UK
05-05-2007, 14:41
Yours says TBC, so it could be this month, or anytime over the summer

do not see southend-on-sea on the roll out page on vm site
there is Basildon area so i hope iam under that one

GreyWolf
05-05-2007, 14:50

I am in Basildon and I come under ubr02, so I do not think you come under the Basildon area.

AndrewJ
05-05-2007, 15:02
No point wondering if your done right now, at least till Tuesday due to bank holiday.

Zee
05-05-2007, 15:24

Sout comes under Southampton area

AntiSilence
09-05-2007, 18:16
Still unconfirmed in this area (Nottingham)

wlmlb
09-05-2007, 19:51
any news for luton

Zee
09-05-2007, 19:52
any news for luton

Looking at the schedule, its still TBC - check it for more info :p:

wlmlb
09-05-2007, 19:55
thanks