PDA

View Full Version : E-Mail help required please.

tonyg
23-03-2007, 18:08
Hi, I have a problem with my ntlworld e-mail. I have loaded Office Professional on my PC and want to use Outlook (not Express) as my e-mail program. I have set it up as instructed by Virgin Media and I am sure I inputted the settings they gave me accurately. If I send a mail from Outlook it it is sent to the intended recipient however any incoming mail stops at my Virgin media inbox. Virgins' mantra is they don't support Outlook but they sent me some instructions on Outlook Express which I adapted to Outlook but to no avail.
Anyone out there with some ideas?

Paul K
23-03-2007, 18:15
So you can send and not receive? Check your settings for the POP and SMTP server are correct and make sure the password is correct. Do you get any error messages when you try to pick the email up?

tick
23-03-2007, 18:38
Had this once it was my user name that was wrong .
Changed that and all work fine

Paul K
23-03-2007, 19:04
Yep, make sure that your @whatever.something bit isn't on the end of the user name in settings.

tonyg
23-03-2007, 19:06
I have just accessed tools\E-mail accounts\ change or view etc etc and then run the test account settings and everything works and gets a green tick but if I send a test mail from my Yahoo account it still goes to virgin media e- mail.

Paul K
23-03-2007, 19:12
Can you explain what you mean a bit more? Does Outlook pick it up and show it in the inbox or does it ignore it and you have to access it via webmail?

Taffer
23-03-2007, 19:31
My settings, if it is any help, are:
Tools - E-mail accounts
E-mail - View or change existing e-mail accounts
select NEXT
pop3.ntlworld.com highlighted; select Change

Your name = Joe Bloggs
E-mail address = joe.bloggs@ntlworld.com
Incoming mail server (POP3) = pop.ntlworld.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP) = smtp.ntlworld.com

Logon information
username = joe.bloggs
password = yourpassword
Remember password = ticked

Select More Settings
Advanced
Incoming server (POP3) = 110
Outgoing server (SMTP) = 25

Hope this helps; if not post some more details and I will help if I can.

Paul K
23-03-2007, 19:36
How old is the email account?

morrk
23-03-2007, 21:48
I notice your email account name is pop3.ntlworld.com.
I am guessing that when the account was initially set up the pop server was incorrectly called pop3.ntlworld.com.

First thing I would do is remove the account altogether and put it back in from scratch.

If this doesnt work, disable email scanning from within your antivirus.

tonyg
24-03-2007, 09:37
Hi Paul/Taffer.
I have just created a new account using the settings that Taffer suggested and then sent myself a mail from Yahoo. It still went to Virgin Media and not Outlook.

Paul K
24-03-2007, 09:48
So you can see the email in the web interface but Outlook is not picking it up? What happens when you send/ receive in Outlook? Do you get any errors?

tonyg
24-03-2007, 10:13
Hi Paul.
I have sent to yahoo and recieved it there, I have tried to reply from yahoo but it goes to VM inbox. I have not recieved any error messages. I am beginning to pick up a bit of understanding (possibly a dangerous thing).Do you think the problem is linking to the incoming server? When I am in the more settings folder I have not entered any data I have only checked that the defaults for the servers are correct. Do I need to input anything here?

Taffer
24-03-2007, 13:11
You could try the settings at http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/outlook/HA011117021033.aspx?pid=CL100626971033

JohnHorb
24-03-2007, 14:39
Any firewall blocking port 110?

Paul K
24-03-2007, 15:30
When you say VM inbox I take it you mean it goes to your inbox and that you can see it through the web interface but Outlook does not download it to your PC?

homealone
24-03-2007, 16:21
When you say VM inbox I take it you mean it goes to your inbox and that you can see it through the web interface but Outlook does not download it to your PC?

This is what is puzzling me, the VM inbox is the same, no matter which client is used & it should be a case of just getting the client to pick it up.???

It almost sounds like the OP is expecting the mail to go somewhere different, because of using a different client??

- apologies if I have that wrong :)

tonyg
24-03-2007, 18:26
Hi Everyone.
All is working as it should. I visited the Microsoft site as suggested and followed the instructions and hey presto. A big thankyou to everyone that responded.

Taffer
24-03-2007, 20:56
Hi tonyg - glad to hear your sorted.