PDA

View Full Version : Two jobs advice

Central
23-03-2007, 16:20
Currently I work for Blockbusters and they are dropping everyones hours. I cant afford the drop I am getting so i am looking to grab a extra couple of shifts at another shop.

In our Blockbusters we have a concessions store which is Gamestation. I have gotten on well with all the Gamestation staff and been told hours are available.

Now since Blockbusters own Gamestation should there be any problems with me working with Gamestation and can i get fired if i did take a job at Gamestation. I am past my probation period at Blockbusters so not on trial either.

Should there be any problems?

Cheers

danielf
23-03-2007, 16:27
Why don't you speak to your line manager, explain the situation and ask him/her?

Central
23-03-2007, 16:28
Why don't you speak to your line manager, explain the situation and ask him/her?

I have and they said they had got to talk to the regional manager but still not heard nothing back and i need the hours now.

Graham M
23-03-2007, 16:30
They can't fire you for taking a second job :confused:

Central
23-03-2007, 16:31
They can't fire you for taking a second job :confused:

Even if its with the same company as such

Graham M
23-03-2007, 16:32
The only problem you will face is that you will be paying Emergency tax on your second income

danielf
23-03-2007, 16:32
I have and they said they had got to talk to the regional manager but still not heard nothing back and i need the hours now.

Seeing you've already asked I would prod your manager (explaining the situation). It won't look good if you simply go ahead and take the job after they said they'd get back at you. Having said that, I don't think they can stop you getting another job. I just think it's best to keep it above board.

Central
23-03-2007, 16:34
The only problem you will face is that you will be paying Emergency tax on your second income

Yeah I know but the extra money will still come in handy. See its either get a second part time job or leave Blockbusters for a full time job. I don't want to leave Blockbusters as its a job I love so much.

Action Jackson
23-03-2007, 16:36
Yeah I know but the extra money will still come in handy. See its either get a second part time job or leave Blockbusters for a full time job. I don't want to leave Blockbusters as its a job I love so much.

Gamestation is a different company so it matters not that they are based within Blockbusters.

Central
23-03-2007, 16:37
Gamestation is a different company so it matters not that they are based within Blockbusters.

Blockbusters own Gamestation

Mr_love_monkey
23-03-2007, 16:41
also, check your contract and see what it says...

Central
23-03-2007, 16:48
Manager has basically told me no as if they need me to cover someone at blockbusters and I am working at gamestation the I cant do it.

danielf
23-03-2007, 16:51
Manager has basically told me no as if they need me to cover someone at blockbusters and I am working at gamestation the I cant do it.

How many hours do you work at Blockbusters?

Central
23-03-2007, 16:55
How many hours do you work at Blockbusters?

Only got contracted for 10 while i was on trial. Got told after the trial I would get a 20 hour contract whoich would of suited me fine and I could work around my partners hours as we have a baby.

I have been off my trial period for about 3-4 weeks now and when asked about the extra hours got told no as Blockbusters are cutting shifts. So i am left with a 10 hour contract which is no good to me but I want to work.

Action Jackson
23-03-2007, 16:57
Blockbusters own Gamestation

I wasn't aware of that.

If they say no then it looks like you will have to look for another job I'm afraid.

It's never easy leaving a job you like because you need more money. I've been there.

danielf
23-03-2007, 17:00
Only got contracted for 10 while i was on trial. Got told after the trial I would get a 20 hour contract whoich would of suited me fine and I could work around my partners hours as we have a baby.

I have been off my trial period for about 3-4 weeks now and when asked about the extra hours got told no as Blockbusters are cutting shifts. So i am left with a 10 hour contract which is no good to me but I want to work.

I don't know about the legalities, but it seems ridiculous to me that they would keep you from taking another 10 hours elsewhere if they can only give you 10 hours. Still it might be better to look for the 10 hours elsewhere (i.e. not at Game)

Central
23-03-2007, 17:03
I wasn't aware of that.

If they say no then it looks like you will have to look for another job I'm afraid.

It's never easy leaving a job you like because you need more money. I've been there.

But if gamestation has more hours to give me I might move straight over and leave Blockbusters.

They say no because i might be working if they need cover but to be fair that could happen if I went to any other part time job.

Xaccers
23-03-2007, 17:09
Are you contracted to do 10 hours plust any extra on demand, or are you contracted to do 10 hours only?

Action Jackson
23-03-2007, 17:12
But if gamestation has more hours to give me I might move straight over and leave Blockbusters.

They say no because i might be working if they need cover but to be fair that could happen if I went to any other part time job.

If they are the same company then I'm afraid they call the shots on this. They can simply refuse to give you the job at Gamestation.

It's their ball, so to speak.

Central
23-03-2007, 17:12
Are you contracted to do 10 hours plust any extra on demand, or are you contracted to do 10 hours only?

To be honest I cant find my contract. Will request to look at mine at work.

Nugget
23-03-2007, 17:33
Cover's not your problem - what would they do if you were unavailable for any other reason?

Damien
23-03-2007, 17:38
Although they are the same company, are they not inderpendent at lower level (i.e the chain of command goes upwards so BlockBuster where you are cannot influence the gamestation).

danielf
23-03-2007, 17:40
Although they are the same company, are they not inderpendent at lower level (i.e the chain of command goes upwards so BlockBuster where you are cannot influence the gamestation).

True, but his line manager is going to raise an eyebrow or two if Be shows up for work at Gamestation after being told they'd rather he didn't...

Damien
23-03-2007, 17:44
True, but his line manager is going to raise an eyebrow or two if Be shows up for work at Gamestation after being told they'd rather he didn't...

Maybe, but its not a full time job and I am unsure of the legal side but I dont see why he should not be allowed to do or why he would be fired for it?

danielf
23-03-2007, 17:47
Maybe, but its not a full time job and I am unsure of the legal side but I dont see why he should not be allowed to do or why he would be fired for it?

Oh, I agree. I'm just pointing out that it might lead to an awkward situation (with gamestation being located inside Blockbusters).

Xaccers
23-03-2007, 17:55

Found this:

If you have two jobs, it is likely that all of your second income will be taxed at the basic or higher rate - depending on how much you earn. This is because all of your allowances will have been used against the income from your main job

So it depends on how much you're earning wether you'll pay 22% or 40% tax.
You'll probably be paying more NI though.

lostandconfused
24-03-2007, 11:36
i work 2 jobs, one full time and a part time, and boy do they hammer you for tax and NI on your second job, it sometimes feels you are paying for the pleasure of working. if its possible id try and increase your hours as much as possible with one job, or even get a completly different job that will be able to offer you more hours

scrotnig
24-03-2007, 12:45
You won't pay "emergency tax" on your second income, you simply won't have any allowances on that income as they are already used up on your main job.

You will not pay any more tax than if you had earned the same amount of money in one single job, as long as the correct tax codes are used.

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 ----------

i work 2 jobs, one full time and a part time, and boy do they hammer you for tax and NI on your second job, it sometimes feels you are paying for the pleasure of working. if its possible id try and increase your hours as much as possible with one job, or even get a completly different job that will be able to offer you more hours

They don't hammer you, you just don't get any allowances on your second job as you've used them up on your first job.

You declare one of the jobs as your "main" job, and thus you will get no allowances on the "second" job.

Vlad_Dracul
24-03-2007, 13:06
You need to remind your line manager of your initial enquiry. If he is not co-operative then just go ahead and take the second job. Don;t forget,you are an asset to the company and your line manager may well not want to lose you to a rival. We all have saleable skills,dont under-rate yourself. Get out there and take that second job. It might be a new opening for you anyway and you may eventually leave blockbuster. What do they do anyway?just video and dvd rental?seems like a shrinking market to me ??

luvclub
24-03-2007, 13:28
Usually a single person has £5035 personal allowance each year which allows for the their first £5035 portion of their income to be tax free. This allowance interpreted from their tax coded is used in calculating the tax as PAYE from their main job.

When a second job is taken up it complicates matters as the allowance is already used in calculating tax for the first job, therefore BR (basic rate) code is used for the second job. This means that 22% (basic rate) tax is deducted from every penny earned in the second job.

If it did not work this way then it would be better off to work 5 separate P/T jobs each week at £90 per job (not paying tax) than to work one F/T job at £450 per week and having to pay tax.

NI is calculated per employer so you would not be overpaying NI in the second job. In fact you could consider there to be a separate NI "personal allowance" for each and every job. So it is possible to save "tax" (in this case NI) if you have several jobs.

It is possible to overpay tax in the second job as part of your personal allowance in the main could be unused by the tax year end. For example if your total income for the main job during the tax year is less than (£5035 + £2150) then this portion should be available for use by the second job. The £2150 is a lower rate tax band which is currently taxed at only 10%. If tax is overpaid then it is possible to claim money back from the tax man at the end of the year.