PDA

View Full Version : Amazing how the Tech support can vary in 5 minutes

Efour
22-03-2007, 21:34
1st Call the nice welshman assured me that it was my PC at fault and that it was not VM fault in the slightest. HE ran some tracerts told me that i had a flawelss 10ms ping all the way to anywhere in london.

Well i thought this guys fibbing and just wants to go home after a long days work and stick his feet up.

I waited till off hours and the nice Indian bloke did a bunch of tests and assured me that it was not my PC at fault. And said the fault either lied in a faulty modem or street cabinet I had massive packetloss and ping spiking from 20ms upto 600ms DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANYONE ELSE???? . Engineer coming on Tuesady, earliest they had, if he had said tommrow i would have kissed him there and then.

How can I get 2 Completely and utterly contradicting diagnosis' of the same problem just a few minutes apart..:td:

I know staff read this website and id like to say how bad I find this double information. I know a bit about PCs so i asked the first guy to tracert a few of my game servers.

Now i can only assume the tard ran them from his PC and not my local cabinet cos this where i get the mythical 10ms pings to all UK gaming servers...

He then gave me the usual as expected its not on the NTL infrastructure then, ill look up some numbers.. And he gives them to me... HE suggested i phone up a list of routing companies in london and lancaster asn ask them what the problem was???? WTF?? seriously im a customer im not your bloody liason.. As if they are goign to tell me how much bandwidth they give to NTL.

He sugggested that it is all the companies that hosted 4 different servers ( 1 in germany) that have a lack of bandwidth and must be over populated.... At this point i decided to wrap the call up. Ive never been blagged like that before.

Pass the buck and fail to see a problem. You pay peanuts, you get monkies

:td: :td: :td: :td: :td:

Toilet-Duck
22-03-2007, 21:39
How did you manage to get english people? Every single time I ring about my speeds I always get indians who have NO idea what they are talking about and simple request to clear my bloody internet cache and unplug my modem :rolleyes:

janipewter
23-03-2007, 08:29
Don't phone on a Sunday afternoon and you'll get through to Liverpool rather than Lahore.

cybernetic_tiger
23-03-2007, 09:01
<snip>
Now i can only assume the tard ran them from his PC and not my local cabinet cos this where i get the mythical 10ms pings to all UK gaming servers...
<snip>
Pass the buck and fail to see a problem. You pay peanuts, you get monkies

Maby you should wait until you engineer comes to praise the Indian and rip the welsh guy to pieces. Just because the Indian guy gave you the answer you wanted doesn't make it right.

I have had to phone faults a few times over the last few months and every time the Indian on the end of the phone got the diagnosis completely wrong but it did sound plausable and an engineer was apparently required.

However I knew an engineer wasn't required and I advised them of this and that there was an underlying account issue and when the engineer got to me he confirmed this.

shibby
23-03-2007, 09:19
It will vary on day to day.
Today i had the bog standard read of some screens indians. Then got hold of a scotish bloke that could think for himself and solve the problems.

We told them VM was rubbish (translated from harsher words said) and he said Thank You!!!!

m044bz00
23-03-2007, 18:36
Ins't the problem that with these types of jobs they are trained like robots working from a script and therefore simply not allowed to use any initiative they may have?

r00t
23-03-2007, 18:49
Ins't the problem that with these types of jobs they are trained like robots working from a script and therefore simply not allowed to use any initiative they may have?

Wrong all the way.

We do have a support scope and we will follow some patterns.
But this is much the same as troubleshooting anything, such as if you took your car to the garage because it wouldn't start they would do simple checks first. Petrol, battery, spark from the plugs etc... So is that scripting too?

grimwau
23-03-2007, 18:56
How did you manage to get english people?

He didn't! One Welshman and a gentleman from the Indian sub-continent.

Efour
23-03-2007, 20:47
Maby you should wait until you engineer comes to praise the Indian and rip the welsh guy to pieces. Just because the Indian guy gave you the answer you wanted doesn't make it right.

I have had to phone faults a few times over the last few months and every time the Indian on the end of the phone got the diagnosis completely wrong but it did sound plausable and an engineer was apparently required.

However I knew an engineer wasn't required and I advised them of this and that there was an underlying account issue and when the engineer got to me he confirmed this.

yeah maybe not, Sitting here dloadeing at 35kb/s on a 10mbit connection which constantly screws up between 5pm and 11pm everyday. That until 6 weeks ago was flawless.

Either my Modems breaking down, Somone on my street that uses the PC in that time frame is DDoS'ing has some spam virus, The Network is **** in east london and is actually at breaking point.

I dont care what the engineer finds but to be told that the service is working 100% by a CS guy is complete BS.

I just do not understand how they can roll out 20mbit here if there truley is nothign wrong with the service and this is now the norm.

Why am i suffering cos of all you P2P junkies and idiots that break thelaw 24/7

cybernetic_tiger
23-03-2007, 21:15

I think that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation.

A) I and most others on here are not P2P junkies
B) Are law abiding citizens
C) Are far from idiots

morrk
23-03-2007, 21:44
yeah maybe not, Sitting here dloadeing at 35kb/s on a 10mbit connection which constantly screws up between 5pm and 11pm everyday. That until 6 weeks ago was flawless.

Either my Modems breaking down, Somone on my street that uses the PC in that time frame is DDoS'ing has some spam virus, The Network is **** in east london and is actually at breaking point.

I dont care what the engineer finds but to be told that the service is working 100% by a CS guy is complete BS.

I just do not understand how they can roll out 20mbit here if there truley is nothign wrong with the service and this is now the norm.

LOL

Sounds like jealousy to me

m044bz00
23-03-2007, 21:59
Wrong all the way.

We do have a support scope and we will follow some patterns.
But this is much the same as troubleshooting anything, such as if you took your car to the garage because it wouldn't start they would do simple checks first. Petrol, battery, spark from the plugs etc... So is that scripting too?
That settles that then!

In the past I've always given the people I've been on the phone to with some leaway but clearly they haven't been following scripts, just totally incompetent that i've had to escalate things to team leaders and managers to get something done. I'd presumed these had more free license to use common sense and veer away from the yes/no questioning but that isn't the case

They're just more competent

r00t
23-03-2007, 22:42
That settles that then!

In the past I've always given the people I've been on the phone to with some leaway but clearly they haven't been following scripts, just totally incompetent that i've had to escalate things to team leaders and managers to get something done. I'd presumed these had more free license to use common sense and veer away from the yes/no questioning but that isn't the case

They're just more competent

From the sounds of it then, you should come show us how it's done.
And good luck escalating your problems to team-leaders and managers; they are not technically minded at all, they are there to manage people.

Efour
23-03-2007, 23:54
LOL

Sounds like jealousy to me

??? That makes absoloutley no sense to me in the slightest....

Jealous, how old are you to make a comment like that? Really Im jealous because ive been on 20mbit trials perfectly. 10mbit 1200kb/s flawlessly for 7 months and now this because of a fault Im jealous that you are downloading bucket loads of rubbish? One day you will grow out of dowloading the entire internet, just because you can. Go out meet a women or something, rather than sit on a news server dloading pirated music and films.

Trust me you will grow up one day i have faith.

morrk
24-03-2007, 01:23
??? That makes absoloutley no sense to me in the slightest....

Jealous, how old are you to make a comment like that? Really Im jealous because ive been on 20mbit trials perfectly. 10mbit 1200kb/s flawlessly for 7 months and now this because of a fault Im jealous that you are downloading bucket loads of rubbish? One day you will grow out of dowloading the entire internet, just because you can. Go out meet a women or something, rather than sit on a news server dloading pirated music and films.

Trust me you will grow up one day i have faith.

Heh heh.

Have you seen anyone about that anger problem ?

To answer your question, I am very probably older than you!

No wonder no one at VM wants to help you with an attitude like yours.When I worked there I would have blagged you too!

And by the way. The wife probably wouldn't be too impressed if I went out meeting women believe me.

If you know a bit about pc's then why didn't you tracert your game servers yourself. That surely would have given you your answer before calling the "monkeys" in the first place.

Why don't you keep your "peanuts" and go somewhere else?

People like you really crack me up fair play!

Get a sense of humour dude.

Efour
24-03-2007, 02:32
Heh heh.

Have you seen anyone about that anger problem ?

To answer your question, I am very probably older than you!

No wonder no one at VM wants to help you with an attitude like yours.When I worked there I would have blagged you too!

And by the way. The wife probably wouldn't be too impressed if I went out meeting women believe me.

If you know a bit about pc's then why didn't you tracert your game servers yourself. That surely would have given you your answer before calling the "monkeys" in the first place.

Why don't you keep your "peanuts" and go somewhere else?

People like you really crack me up fair play!

Get a sense of humour dude.

The more you type the stupider you come across.

sense of humour? anger problem? I just dont want to be ripped off for the next 6 weeks like the previous 6 sorry i dont just bow down and take it roughly from behind.

cya later, you can have the snide last comment if you need to. Pretty glad you dont stll work there for the sake of all people that have the bad luck of needing tech support and openly admitting to just fob people off. I worked in a call centre once soul destroying place for that you have my pity. :angel:

oh and why do you think i was so unimpressed by the "monkey" saying it was all fine? Its not magic how I saw the problem and anyway to be told there wasnt one is what really irked me. Then 5 mins later to be told, after some tests oh sir you are right let me book you and engineer.... as far as i am aware the first guy didnt even do them tests.

ANYWAY i know how this will all roll out, an engineer turning up at midday when its workign fine telling me there is no problem and me showing him the pages of traceroutes, that i havent made over the past week... and him saying oh well nothing i can do, replace the modem and ill end up on adsl .. probably.

Fingy
24-03-2007, 17:31
Erm, are you seriously expecting help here?

Doubt any "monkeys" will be sticking around in this thread too long as anyone who does help out on here does so in their own time.

NTLVictim
24-03-2007, 17:43
Erm, are you seriously expecting help here?

Doubt any "monkeys" will be sticking around in this thread too long as anyone who does help out on here does so in their own time.

..Which is a notable and admirable thing, but these outstanding kind of people who will go the extra mile are (sadly, I suspect) massively outnumbered in the pile of dysfunctional waste that is NTL, which is a loss for everyone.:(

grungernut
26-03-2007, 00:35
From the sounds of it then, you should come show us how it's done.
And good luck escalating your problems to team-leaders and managers; they are not technically minded at all, they are there to manage people.

Well said r00t
At the end of the day if the CM is online and the customer has a valid IP then, theoretically, we are supplying a service and our help scope ends there. But because we actually do want to give our customers that bit extra we do go through an exhaustive list of troubleshooting to get you guys back online. Anybody that has tried to do this over the phone knows just how difficult this can be,I have had calls well over an hour due to some people just not being pc literate.

And the only script we have to follow,at least at TSC anyway,is a Welcome,use of the customer name,a resolved problem and a goodbye,everything else we do we do throught knowledge training and the tools we have available.

Paul H
26-03-2007, 00:40
Anybody that has tried to do this over the phone knows just how difficult this can be,I have had calls well over an hour due to some people just not being pc literate.

Don't you just hate it when they insist on reading out everything it says on the screen after pressing that tab you just told them to press, then every subsequent load of text afterwards?

NTLVictim
27-03-2007, 11:06
Get 'em to load a remote client and do it yourself? :D

Must be less brain damage, I would have thought...

nffc
27-03-2007, 13:34
Well said r00t
At the end of the day if the CM is online and the customer has a valid IP then, theoretically, we are supplying a service and our help scope ends there. But because we actually do want to give our customers that bit extra we do go through an exhaustive list of troubleshooting to get you guys back online. Anybody that has tried to do this over the phone knows just how difficult this can be,I have had calls well over an hour due to some people just not being pc literate.

And the only script we have to follow,at least at TSC anyway,is a Welcome,use of the customer name,a resolved problem and a goodbye,everything else we do we do throught knowledge training and the tools we have available.
Totally.

Just because you check certain things doesn't mean you're using a script. It merely means you're not overlooking obvious things or missing anything out.

I don't see the issue, if the problem can be resolved in a support call without needing to wait for an engineer or anything, then why is that a bad thing.

And some people are so un-IT literate, it's bloody scary how they use their PCs.

Efour
27-03-2007, 16:14
Hi ho,:dunce:

apparently Im living in a condition black area haha. (over saturated)

Timeframe until infrastructure upgrade. Unknown

Dont expect 20mbit if you are on any East london POPL UBRS.

Contract runs out in 3 months so i opted for the £10 a month instead.

Real shame, All it would have taken is one guy to read a screen somewhere but nope, no one could manage it. OFC, as we know i dont have a problem with my Cable line personally, the entire geographical area does, they just dont notice 100% PL and +600ms pings, when browsing or checkign email.