PDA

View Full Version : Just removed my attenuator...

AbyssUnderground
20-03-2007, 21:00
Hi guys.

After getting slow speeds for a few days I just removed the 6dBmv attenuator from the back of my modem, which has been there ever since we got broadband.

My signal levels used to read:
Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.18 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 29.55 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 42.00 dBmv

And they now read:
Downstream Receive Power Level : 11.49 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 30.73 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 41.00 dBmv

I can now see an increase in speed of double! I was getting 500Kbps on speed tests and Im now getting 1100Kbps. (Im on 4Mbps). I read the signal level recommendations and since Im on 256QAM these new levels are also acceptable.

Just a small note to anyone who is also having speed issues, you might want to try this :)

papa smurf
20-03-2007, 21:12
what type of modem have you got blue or silver

AbyssUnderground
20-03-2007, 21:16
http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/server/Server%20Pictures%20(Low%20Res)/IMG_0277.JPG

Its the silver one.

papa smurf
20-03-2007, 21:21
needs changing for a blue 250. silver one wont get much past 2 meg now your on256 qam its a coman problem tech will bring new modem then he sends a text and job done

ufitm
20-03-2007, 21:42
Hi guys.

After getting slow speeds for a few days I just removed the 6dBmv attenuator from the back of my modem, which has been there ever since we got broadband.

My signal levels used to read:
Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.18 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 29.55 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 42.00 dBmv

And they now read:
Downstream Receive Power Level : 11.49 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 30.73 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 41.00 dBmv

I can now see an increase in speed of double! I was getting 500Kbps on speed tests and Im now getting 1100Kbps. (Im on 4Mbps). I read the signal level recommendations and since Im on 256QAM these new levels are also acceptable.

Just a small note to anyone who is also having speed issues, you might want to try this :)

a tech took mine of today i can not see much differcent my self, just shade
of the downstream power level and signal to noise ratio,and power on the upstream and a couple of over look as they could have been altered but no sure , speed still seam rubish tonight and over parts of the day but verything always seams fine when a tech comes do my figure seam ok for a 10 meg conection

Downstream Status
OperationalChannel ID
2Downstream Frequency
331000000 HzModulation
256QAMBit Rate
10240000 bits/secPower Level
-1.3 dBmVSignal to Noise Ratio
39.9 dB
Upstream Status
OperationalChannel ID
2Upstream Frequency
25808000 HzModulation
QPSKBit Rate
384000 bits/secPower Level
47.0 dBmV

AbyssUnderground
20-03-2007, 21:53
Actually I can easily max out to 4Mbps when the UBR isnt clogged up with p2p traffic ;) This modem has been fine ever since it was installed about 5 years ago. Im not changing it until it stops working. Plus, from reports Ive heard, Id have to take my life off work/college just to wait for an engineer, and even then Id be wasting my time because one won't turn up!

jerryl
20-03-2007, 21:57
i tried taking mine out when i had speed issues didnt do anything :(

papa smurf
20-03-2007, 21:59
Actually I can easily max out to 4Mbps when the UBR isnt clogged up with p2p traffic ;) This modem has been fine ever since it was installed about 5 years ago. Im not changing it until it stops working. Plus, from reports Ive heard, Id have to take my life off work/college just to wait for an engineer, and even then Id be wasting my time because one won't turn up!

sorry you fell that way i was only answering your call for help [still iv'e only been in the comunications buisiness 28 years what do i know]

AbyssUnderground
20-03-2007, 22:17
My post wasn't meant to offend, I was simply stating that in this case, what is on paper doesnt apply in my case for whatever reason. I can max my 4Mbps download speed, plain and simple. Incase you mistaken the model my modem is its the NTL100.

Nikesh
20-03-2007, 22:22
According to the Chetnet website the ntl 100 modem is capable of the 10Mbps service. :)

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4

AbyssUnderground
20-03-2007, 22:31
According to the Chetnet website the ntl 100 modem is capable of the 10Mbps service. :)

Indeedy :) Hence why I can get 4Mbps :)

(Thanks for that btw, I never did know what the max speed was. I never got round to looking it up)

papa smurf
20-03-2007, 22:33
My post wasn't meant to offend, I was simply stating that in this case, what is on paper doesnt apply in my case for whatever reason. I can max my 4Mbps download speed, plain and simple. Incase you mistaken the model my modem is its the NTL100.

your down stream power levels are way to high the modem is maxing itself out trying to maintain lock. it will in my humble opinion get slower until it packs up ,and changing it is verry simple and totally painless dont believe everything you hear the worlds full of professional moaners

AbyssUnderground
20-03-2007, 22:40
Id just like to point out this from the signal recommendations post in the stickies of this forum...

Both Telewest and ntl are now using the more efficient, but demanding 256QAM modulation in some areas. This gives more bandwidth but required better networks. For this modulation the recommended power range is -6dBmV to +15dBmV with a recommended SNR of 33dB.My modem is not maxing itself, infact its well within normal ranges.

It just goes to show when people have done their homework eh? ;)

papa smurf
20-03-2007, 22:43

i notice the web site makes no mention of our 15 year old network ...analogue amplifiers and last years qam change.a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

AbyssUnderground
20-03-2007, 22:45
Well if Im on 256QAM, the speed has increased, and the signals are within recommended specs then we can only assume there is nothing wrong.

Your persistance in saying its going to get worse or break makes me think you don't want people to have a good speed or service.

NTLVictim
20-03-2007, 22:53
i notice the web site makes no mention of our 15 year old network ...analogue amplifiers and last years qam change.a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Analogue amps??? Still???

papa smurf
20-03-2007, 23:00
Analogue amps??? Still???

yes scientific atlanta analogue amps there so old we cant get spares

SnoopZ
20-03-2007, 23:17
I ran my modem for years at -11dBmV with no issues, over the last year that's gone down to -3dBmV and still no issues. If your connection works at high levels then just leave it, however i'd look into getting that modem replaced as it's not very reliable at high speeds and you will likely run into problems if you ever get upgraded. :)

AbyssUnderground
20-03-2007, 23:22
As soon as I start having issues Ill definately look into it, but for now, why fix something that isnt broken? :)