PDA

View Full Version : Need some help please guys, new router setup!

mgc_bb
20-03-2007, 20:01
Hello everyone,

Boy am I having trouble with this!

Had my 'vip' installed on the 10th of march, all working ok except internet slow, was expecting 10mb but only got 2mb. Called up cs and was told they needed to send an update to make it 10mb. Got home tried it, did a speedtest.net and got 9189k so was happy but downloading anything was slow even as low as 45k (from apple.com, fast site).
Called cs next day complained about speed was told this time my modem wasnt registered. Run the setup again, modem was registered. Bloody hell!
Getting annoyed now.
Called cs again, they just said to call tech, now I dont get in till late so I cant call cs from home as there shut.
Tech is in india and is useless, they as you 1001 questions before saying they dont know how to solve it! You cant just ask them a question as there 'script' doesnt allow it.

In the meantime I cant get my netgear router to talk with the ntl 250 modem!
Is there a secret path to follow? Do you need to pray?
Just cant get it to work together!
I've got a netgear 614 v6, white one, not the ntl version.

Can someone please provide me with a routine to follow before I go mad.

I'm in a bad spot here, time is passing, had cable for ten days now and still cant get any speed. If I dont get neat 10mb within the 30 period I'm gonna cancel everything, p*ssed off already.
Just dont have the time, cant call from work, then when I'm home lines are shut.
The ping:ping signal test gives no result. Not sure why?

doing speedtest gives me yoyo results, no contant speed. 2mb one minute, 512k the next, then 8mb etc etc all over the place.

PLEASE help.

Many thanks,

MovedGoalPosts
20-03-2007, 20:18
The speeds your getting really need to be diagnosed without a router in place. Mention the word router and tech support / faults will just go round in circles.

Make sure you haven't got a firewall or something like that getting in the way. Check your drivers for your ethernet connection is current and everything is auto detect.

Connecting the router should be simple. Power off the modem and computer. Wire up the router (WAN = modem, LAN = PC), power on modem, let settle, router, let settle, then PC. Make sure you only have one device i.e. the router, connected to the modem.

Hom3r
20-03-2007, 20:24
I had problems accessing my Netgear I had been messing with my Proxy setting, after I had set it back to the original setting it has worked.

Can you talk to the router (192.168.1.1)?

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

or even http://www.routerlogin.net/start.htm

Mat-d-rat
20-03-2007, 23:31
Isn't the 250 192.168.100.1

EssDee
20-03-2007, 23:57
Isn't the 250 192.168.100.1

Yeah, but the Netgear router is probably 192.168.1.1, as Hom3r said.

mgc_bb
30-03-2007, 10:32
Sorry for the late reply, been on hols!

Given up with router at the moment as internet is so slow.

Called cs and after a while I was told of major packet loss on my connection so an engineer is coming 31st to check it out.

Could be faulty modem or low signal levels from cab.
Will post result as it may help others.

By the way, my vod works great no errors there.
If the signal is increased would that affect my v+ and v boxs?

Many thanks,
Marc