PDA

View Full Version : Cider - do you find this?

milkshake_561
20-03-2007, 11:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehfEgtLsKvg

This? That cider is more refreshing than lager? I do like cider although I don't drink it much (usually lager) but I must say sometimes on a hot day it does hit the spot.

Argree with this? I'm tempted to say yes although I don't think I've drunk enough cider to really tell.

Chris
20-03-2007, 11:30
I find cider tastes worse the more you drink, whereas with beer it's the other way round. Don't know if that answers your question though.

I like cider sometimes but find only the stronger varieties really have a good taste, and that makes them less refreshing on warm, thirsty evenings as you can't really quaff it (unless you intend to get hammered, which is something I don't like to do).

Russ
20-03-2007, 11:35
Depends on the cider really IMO. I've only ever found sweet cider to be refreshing - Woodpecker seems to do it for me the most but I'm always going to be careful around a drink which is made from rotting apples. I'd say there's a direct link between the number of pints/bottles you drink and the number of hours on the toilet later...

Chris
20-03-2007, 12:03
Depends on the cider really IMO. I've only ever found sweet cider to be refreshing - Woodpecker seems to do it for me the most but I'm always going to be careful around a drink which is made from rotting apples. I'd say there's a direct link between the number of pints/bottles you drink and the number of hours on the toilet later...

As opposed to wine, which is made from rotting grapes? Some people spend a fortune buying the end product of the grape-rotting process! You can make any food sound gross if you try hard enough ...

Russ
20-03-2007, 12:05
Probably because I never get the thrupnies after drinking wine...

bopdude
20-03-2007, 12:16
Ahhhhhhhh, I'll agree with that :tu: strongbow is my drink of the moment, I tend to switch between the 3 main groups, but am deffo into my cider phase atm.

Mal
20-03-2007, 12:23
Probably because I never get the thrupnies after drinking wine...With cider, isn't it the acidic content that gives you the trots?

I cannot stand cider, so stick to bitter or lager. If thirsty I prefer lager, but for a drink, bitter.

Xaccers
20-03-2007, 12:29
I can't stand beer in any of it's forms, Caffrey's is bearable at a push.
Cider's quite nice, but I'd rather have a nice red wine, when I actually drink alcohol that is.

DocDutch
20-03-2007, 13:26
my fav cider is Koppaberg (swedish) and I love it...refreshing in the summer :D and you just drink it away like its fruit juice so quite dangerous at the same time as well cuz before you know it you've had 5 bottles and trying to stand is a bit more difficult then :O :D

Paul
20-03-2007, 13:34
I love Woodpecker cider. :cool:

As for Lager (and Beer) - can't stand either so it's no contest really. :)

Theodoric
20-03-2007, 13:42
As opposed to wine, which is made from rotting grapes? Some people spend a fortune buying the end product of the grape-rotting process! You can make any food sound gross if you try hard enough ...
Yes, but it's called Pourriture Noble or Noble Rot in wine-drinking circles. Definitely a bit more classy. :)

And isn't the cider equivalent the dead rat that is supposed to be found at the bottom of the barrel of your rougher ciders?

Taf
20-03-2007, 14:27
I find most ciders these days to have about much apple taste as a brick. If you like beer, but prefer the acidic kick of cider, have a lookout for Belgian Geuze Lambic beer... it's traditionally fermented in open outdoor tanks with natural airborne yeasts.

DocDutch
20-03-2007, 14:45
good pick there Taf....but trust me the Swedish cider Koppaberg does taste like Pear or Apple or even red fruits of the forrest and really refreshing.

just wish in the UK they sold more of the belgian beers.... not enough choice here really

Stephen
20-03-2007, 14:55
I do drink Cider as I find it a lot more refreshing when it is ice cold. Although sometimes a nice cold bottle of Corona with a slice of lime is extra refreshing.

Kopparberg Pear cider is by far the best.Its not always easy to find though.

Magners/Bulmers are pretty nice too.

Chris
20-03-2007, 14:55
good pick there Taf....but trust me the Swedish cider Koppaberg does taste like Pear or Apple or even red fruits of the forrest and really refreshing.

just wish in the UK they sold more of the belgian beers.... not enough choice here really

:tu: for Koppaberg, missus and I had a bottle each the other week, one of apple and one of pear. Definitely does what it says on the tin!

danielf
20-03-2007, 15:04

De Koninck... :drool: I've seen it on tap here a few times, but not enough unfortunately. A local place here does Liefmans Kriek (that's cherry beer, lads) on tap. Now that's refreshing (at 7% ABV). :drunk: :D

DocDutch
20-03-2007, 15:06
Daniel I was thinking more in the range of

Westmalle Triple
Hoegaarden Verboden Vrucht

ermmm can make a really long list now of the beers I miss :bigcry:

Maggy
20-03-2007, 15:09
sweet drinks are only refreshing for the first glass or so after that I'm often even more thirsty.

So I think lagar rather than cider and the most refreshing drink I know is Campari and bitter lemon.I can drink them all day.Something about the sourness of the lemon and the bitterness of the campari just seems to work. :)

Of course ice cold water when you are truly dry is the best thirst quencher or a fresh well made cuppa.;)

danielf
20-03-2007, 15:12
Daniel I was thinking more in the range of

Westmalle Triple
Hoegaarden Verboden Vrucht

ermmm can make a really long list now of the beers I miss :bigcry:

Oh yes, Verboden Vrucht (forbidden fruit). I used to have a habit of finishing the evening with Verboden Vrucht or a Triple. Cracking hangovers they give you. I don't miss those very much... :D

But I agree, I would think there'd be a market for shops with a decent range of Belgian Beers.

Shaun
20-03-2007, 15:14
De Koninck... :drool: I've seen it on tap here a few times, but not enough unfortunately. A local place here does Liefmans Kriek (that's cherry beer, lads) on tap. Now that's refreshing (at 7% ABV). :drunk: :D

Tried it bottled and didn't like it - Fruli (http://www.frulibeer.com/)however! :tu:

Like Strawberry milkshake!

DocDutch
20-03-2007, 15:16
I know its off topic but for those that like belgian beers there is a lovely website called:

http://shop.belgianshop.com/ they do deliver to all over the world, only issue is that I havent tried them yet as the missus doesnt allow me to use the credit card :(

danielf
20-03-2007, 15:22
I know its off topic but for those that like belgian beers there is a lovely website called:

http://shop.belgianshop.com/ they do deliver to all over the world, only issue is that I havent tried them yet as the missus doesnt allow me to use the credit card :(

http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk is UK based. Looks good. They say they accept Maestro/Solo...

greencreeper
20-03-2007, 18:40
http://www.sheppyscider.com/thumbs.php

I've only (so far) tried the Dabinett and the Taylor's Golden. Both very nice :tu:

Taf
20-03-2007, 18:55
...the missus doesnt allow me to use the credit card :(

:bigcry:

The Beligian style is slowing appearing over here as breweries fight to get sales. Brakspears (Henley?) have just released their Triple into the wild...

I liked it...

http://www.beer-pages.com/images/brakspear-triple.jpg

I lived in Southern Belgium for several years... I wish I could get Jupiler here...

milkshake_561
21-03-2007, 11:03
http://www.sheppyscider.com/thumbs.php

I've only (so far) tried the Dabinett and the Taylor's Golden. Both very nice :tu:

looks like there are some quite good ones there, personally I don't really like the farmhouse ones, like the ones I drunk at Glastonbury, too heavy and they make me want to go to bed.

Problem is though the sparkling ones from there you can't just walk into the pub and buy them.

greencreeper
21-03-2007, 22:40
looks like there are some quite good ones there, personally I don't really like the farmhouse ones, like the ones I drunk at Glastonbury, too heavy and they make me want to go to bed.
I think that might be the general idea - to send you to bed. Possibly with a companion or two. In the spirit of the festival and all that.

Problem is though the sparkling ones from there you can't just walk into the pub and buy them.
Just have to order in a case or two :D I plan on buying a few bottles next Friday (pay day). It's a very personal service. I've only (so far) ordered once but one of the family phoned to confirm the order. You don't get that with Virgin - "Branson here - engineer will be with you Friday"

Nugget
21-03-2007, 23:10
:bigcry:

The Beligian style is slowing appearing over here as breweries fight to get sales. Brakspears (Henley?) have just released their Triple into the wild...

I liked it...

http://www.beer-pages.com/images/brakspear-triple.jpg

I lived in Southern Belgium for several years... I wish I could get Jupiler here...

Blimey, me and a mate have had Brakspears as the guest beer in the local for the last few weeks. Great pint until Sunday just gone - still tasted fine going in, but the bubbly stomach the next day was horrible...

Angua
21-03-2007, 23:48
A new one on the market is Green Goblin (http://www.wychwood.co.uk/wychwood_greengoblin.htm) medium dry with plenty of apple flavour Download Failed (1) and my butcher makes a delicious pork & cider sausage with it. :tu:

SatelliteTVTalk
22-03-2007, 17:35
I had some excellent Black Rat cider down Somerset way... It was bright orange, scared me considerably - but in the end tasted as if some higher being had created it - it was soooo good! Really refreshing and tasted hella earthy (in a nice way)

Graham M
22-03-2007, 17:42
There's a Weatherspoons near me that does Koppaberg :D

cybernetic_tiger
23-03-2007, 21:02
I'm thursty now... I think I will be choosing a cider :)

jkat
24-03-2007, 14:35
heres to a super cider sunday! :beer: "old rosie" westons! http://www.westons-cider.co.uk/acatalog/info_OldRosie.html

Cobbydaler
24-03-2007, 14:39
I do drink Cider as I find it a lot more refreshing when it is ice cold. Although sometimes a nice cold bottle of Corona with a slice of lime is extra refreshing.

Kopparberg Pear cider is by far the best.Its not always easy to find though.

Magners/Bulmers are pretty nice too.

Available in my local Sainsbury's at the moment...

Tezcatlipoca
24-03-2007, 17:23
I don't think I've had Strongbow since I was 17... :erm:

Stephen
24-03-2007, 18:29
Available in my local Sainsbury's at the moment...
Thanks, I found it in Asda yesterday as well.

Ordered a couple of boxes from www.designadrinx.co.uk as well.:)

greencreeper
24-03-2007, 21:56
Pear cider? They sell that at Ikea in cans - never tried it though. Wasn't too sure about it.

Stephen
24-03-2007, 22:02
Pear cider? They sell that at Ikea in cans - never tried it though. Wasn't too sure about it.Yea thats the one.

The stuff is gorgeous.